The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Eating Lightbulbs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Hi all, I'm into fire eating, human blockhead and razor blade magic, and I'm looking into razor blade eating, but want to start with eating lightbulbs. Theres nothing I can do or say that will show you I'm capable of doing this, but you having my trust, if anyone has any ideas where I can learn from (im going to blackpool tomoz, so hopefully from person to person up there) I would be very grateful. Slim, hav you got any notes on it?

Thanks in advance,
Daz
Cholly, by golly!
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Cholly, by golly!
I really, really, REALLY suggest the gaffed version of this stunt... unless you happen to like jet-black bowel movements and dentures.

All kidding aside...this is one of those stunts that can KILL (and I'm not talking about crowd reaction). Try glass-walking instead.
Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Contact Todd Robbins for the straight "poop" on light bulbs. And listen to what he has to say...
Slim
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Thanks both, yes Slim, I have been told about Todd, hopefully he will post his knowlege here....

I will make sure I understand all about this first, like I did with fire eating, I did NOT rush into it, I read and watched about it for 3 months first, then went to someone who does it for advice, and teaching. Then contacted Slim. Thanks again Slim.

Thanks so far,
Daz
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Quote:
On 2006-02-22 11:45, daz222 wrote:
Hi all, I'm into fire eating, human blockhead and razor blade magic, and I'm looking into razor blade eating, but want to start with eating lightbulbs. Theres nothing I can do or say that will show you I'm capable of doing this, but you having my trust, if anyone has any ideas where I can learn from (im going to blackpool tomoz, so hopefully from person to person up there) I would be very grateful. Slim, hav you got any notes on it?

Thanks in advance,
Daz

Don't do it.
FacadeTheStiltBoy
View Profile
Elite user
Greensboro NC
474 Posts

Profile of FacadeTheStiltBoy
But.. if you do, and things don't work out right.... Can I have your CD collection?

:P

Quote:
On 2006-02-22 21:46, Todd Robbins wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-02-22 11:45, daz222 wrote:

Thanks in advance,
Daz

Don't do it.

Slim Price
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 - 2006
1326 Posts

Profile of Slim Price
Don't do it!

Beginning Sideshow Arts
I sometimes get mail asking about how to start learning sideshow arts. This is my answer,
First you need to analyze your self, and your reasons. If you want to learn to impress the guys at the bar, or your frat buddies, or to get girls, forget it! By and large, the acts are dirty, invoke some pain, take years to learn properly and you will find that “normal” people will look at you as something less than normal. The acts will probably cause you medical problems later in life, or immediately. It isn’t like magic at all, the damage you do to yourself can last for years. I often think that in our current media society, people think an accident (there will be some) goes away at the end of the clip, or movie… This is not true. An accident can take weeks or months to recover from, and can even cause you permanent disfigurement… The best (only) way to learn is with a pro teacher who has lived this life. I don’t mean the kid at 7/11 who sucks fire from a Bic. I mean a working professional. Learning from a book is the worst way to get this knowledge. I think I have read most of the books on the subject, and I am often appalled by errors, missed points, plain lies and oversights, all of which can bite you! Even when you know it all, a pro can see a lot of things you will miss, and might save you a lot of damage to yourself or others. Slim’s notes are overwritten to prevent as much of this as possible, but sometimes surprising interpretations slip in. I remember writing several additions to a note to clarify putting a Band-aid over a thumbtack...
Most of the people who chose to start learning sideshow acts are young, impressionable, frequently misfits, and are looking to make some kind of mark. “See what I can do!” This is understandable, but the fact is that there are a lot of better, easier, cleaner, and more profitable ways to make a living. Working at McDonald’s will earn you more, and you won’t spend most of your time looking for the next gig. Even the best performers have dry spells.
Although most of the acts however, dangerous, are simple, few initiates realize the need for learning to be an entertainer. This is really what separates the tyros from the pros in every field, not just sideshow work. Theater skills are what will make the money and work for you. If you are still in school take advantage of your theatrical options, acting, stagecraft, voice, costume, scripting, learn anything and anything you can. If you are a “civilian,” do the same. It’s an investment sure to pay off…
Don’t try to learn everything at once...There are dozens of nuances in any single act that can only be learned by exploration. Mastering one act and doing it well, (and adding your own persona) will always serve you better than “shotgunning” several badly done stunts. When you begin working a sideshow act, the first thing you will want to do is ‘push the envelope.” This, more than anything else will get you in trouble… Give your art a little time to nurture, until you really understand it… Above all, learn from a pro mentor.

An after thought :
Learn to stop calling what we do "Geek Magic." That is a term that real sideshow performers find very offensive. Geeks were the lowest form of sideshow performers, Low drunks and junkies who would eat the grossest things. Live snake heads. Live chicken heads, for example, just to get a fix... Jim Rose is not a good example of true sideshow work. Although he introduced a whole new generation to sideshow acts, his methods of presentation leave, for me, a lot to be desired. Sideshow work does not need to be presented in a gross, frenetic manner as he does. Why do I mention him? He is, I think the person most likely to have misused “Geek”, as in his claiming to do “Geek Magic...”
sanscan@tds.net

"I will never bitter be, as long as I can laugh at me!"

"The people who were dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music"
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
It's seems that Slim knows what he is talking about.
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
I would also say don't do it...
You can~
*Ruin your teeth
*Cut up your mouth
*cut up your insides
*die

so yeah...stay away from eating glass, walk on it instead.
it also has a pretty gross texture.

Brett
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
5105 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Yes, it's sharper than cheddar cheese.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Lol harley. Thanks all. I usually seem like I am adding a new sideshow a year, lol. So, underground stuff ey? Where would one go to learn this art? Thanks,

Daz
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I'm a little confused here.
I have read what Sam Dalal has to say about glass eating in Swami/Mantra and it's quite the opposite of what I'm reading in this thread.
I certainly defer to Todd & Slim's wisdom on these matters, but why would Sam insist that this is perfectly safe if his instructions are followed? He, in fact, say that it's "far less injurious than the handfuls of mud" consumed by most children in their play (odd comparison).
Thoughts?
It's all in the reflexes.
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
Sam never ate glass.
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1268 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
Todd,
I'm shocked to hear that. Why would he claim to have done so and potentially jeopardize others by doing so? And, why indeed, on top of it all, would he be so cavalier about any danger involved?

I don't doubt your word at all, but I really am a bit shocked!

travis
It's all in the reflexes.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
When I read that in Swami/Mantra, I just didn't believe it.....it seems crazy to just eat it......isn't it common sense that a small piece of glass, no matter how finely chewed, could potentially hurt you? If it was super chewed to a dust, it still seems risky. Where can the gaffed version be bought? That makes more sense.....
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
T-Ray, I have eaten lightbulbs under the tutelage of Red Stuart. The man has 6 teeth left in his head (this is not an exaggeration, its a fact). Not only could he eat the glass, but he used his remaining few nubs of teeth to BREAK the bulb in his mouth. "If it was super chewed to a dust, it still seems risky"... well T-Ray, check it out... everything has a risk. Go ahead and attempt to buy (good luck finding one) a gaffed bulb. I'm sure if you find one, it will be 10 times the price of an average Sylvania 100 Watter.

Find a teacher.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Oh, and the "chewed to a dust" thing... the dust in the bulb is more dangerous than the glass. Heck, the tungsten element in the bulb is less hazardous to your health.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Todd Robbins
View Profile
V.I.P.
New York
2902 Posts

Profile of Todd Robbins
There is much misinformation in print. And not just in Swami/Mantra.
T-RAY
View Profile
Inner circle
1539 Posts

Profile of T-RAY
You guys really know this stuff.....I wish I lived near ya'll. Anyone who does the real thing is amazing. It still seems like it's risky to really eat it. I can see chewing it up to a fine dust.....I imagine it would be somewhat safe, but like you said.. I wouldn't do this without a teacher!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Eating Lightbulbs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL