The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » IllusionWorks videos and books (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

davemen
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
16 Posts

Profile of davemen
Rand Woodbury has a set of 3 books and 4 videos out there on building illusions.

Any feedback on whether these are the best out there or are there others that folks could recommend?

Thanks!
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I have found them to be really helpful. I only have 2 and 3. Number one is out of print. I can not find it ANYWERE! I also have the videos as well. Very helpful if you want to build your own illusions. However, you still need to be familiar with illusions. As he leaves out allot of basic information.

There are some other wonderful books out there. Such as the Owen illusion plans and Paul Osborn books. There are many others as well. These I fell are a must for any do it your selfer.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1815 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I have all three of Rand's books and all 4 of his videos. The books are terrific but you need to know that many of the illusions are just ideas and sketches without complete plans to make them. That was Rand's intent when he put the books out. They are idea books. (Now, there are several illusions that are completely drawn out with dimensions.)

The first three videos are very good, but the fourth one isn't much help. In the fourth one, Rand visits some builders and shows some of what they do. Except for seeing what some shops are like, you don't learn much. The best part of #4 is that Rand included his promotional video tape. (I worked with Rand on Carnival Cruise Lines in the early 90s so having a copy of his promo tape is cool.)

Hope this helps.

Michael
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I have the four videos, and find them great. I am looking for the books.
Dennis Michael
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
Hank Lee sells number 2 and 3. I am still trying to find book number one. However, I have heard that Rand is going to update the books and video soon. I am not sure if this is or when it will take place.

Best,
Mike
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
A copy of Book I just sold on Ebay this week. They are few and far between, however.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Rands' stuff was "mostly" good. Enjoyed seeing his building techniques on his tapes. You pick up a little info here and there. Have found recently that these compilation of ideas that some writers are putting out seem to be incorporatiing the ideas of others. There is no real complete book (or tape) out there detailing the "real thing" on how to build, if there is, I am looking for it! Let me know.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
eddiekap1
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of eddiekap1
The books and videos are great reference tools. Don't limit yourself to just these. There is a lot of good information out there on illusions and design. It really depends on what you want to do, each book/video is different. If your looking for new ideas and concepts try andrew maynes illusion book or others. http://www.weirdthings.com . Of course Paul Osborne and Jim Steinmyer have great books as well. Smile
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3641 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Dick Gustafson also put out a smaller book on building illusions which had some good tips. I like reading the old Owen/Thayer plans, you can pick up many tips also from there. For building, don't limit yourself to magic books, if you hear of a new material, get the datasheets from the manufacturer. There may be other non-magic ideas that can be adapted. The big illusion shops are always looking at new materials, or are open to sources for them. A couple of good carpentry books in your library wouldn't hurt if you want to build.

Best of Luck!!

Blair Marshall
S T E P H A N
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of S T E P H A N
I sell my ILLUSIONWORKS BOOK VOL.1 - Rand Woodbury - for EURO 300,00 (USD 370,00) postpaid in all the world.

Available vol. 2 and 3 for EURO 115,00 each + shipping.

Shipped from Italy.

If interested, you can e-mail me IMMEDIATELY: stefanopascale@iname.com
ruijorge
View Profile
Loyal user
215 Posts

Profile of ruijorge
300 euros?

That is a lot of money for the book..
Isn´t ir in print anymore?
S T E P H A N
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of S T E P H A N
The book is out of print. I know that 300,00 Euros is a lot of money but if you want to buy it... you can! Then... you can sell it on eBay...
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
I have all of his books and tapes. The books are good, however you will have to put a lot of thought into building some of the illusions. They are really ideas that need to be put into practice. They will get you thinking differently. The tapes have some useful information in them. If you are serious about illusions they are well worth the investment.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » IllusionWorks videos and books (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL