The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Closer effects for solo acts (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The GodFather
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of The GodFather
Hello. This time I'd like to talk a little about closers. Since I don't work only in theater environments with assistants etc, and I have different kinds of shows I'd like your opinion for closers for the solo performances.

Solo acts can be done on stage or sometimes in different environments like surrounded, parks etc. A major factor is to be lightweight and easy to transport.

- 6 doves cage vanish I think is a great closer. It plays very nicely to music and can be performed anywhere.

- stool levitation is good closer too. (a negative factor is that it needs a stage to be performed since the angles are very strict.)

- Floating table is a good closer too. It plays very nicely to music and also is an amazing effect that can give a good climax as a closer.

- I belive zombie ball can be used as a closer too.(great when you carry a small bag to the show.)

- chair suspension is a good closer for kids' shows where at the end you levitate the birthday kid.(What I don't like is that you need a helper for this effect and in my opinion is best to be alone on "stage" when you close the show.)

QUESTION: What other effects do you think are good for a closer for the solo performance? Please help me in the process of brainstorming. I am mostly interested for closers that can be used in almost any environment BUT IF YOU HAVE SOME GOOD IDEAS FOR STAGE, LET ME KNOW TOO.
"My goal is to spread around happiness and entertainment, by erasing the illusion of time and live in eternity "

The GodFather Magician
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Relick666
Hmm... I was wondering the same thing, I'm a beginner in this, lol.

Any closers recommended?
w_s_anderson
View Profile
Inner circle
The United States
1226 Posts

Profile of w_s_anderson
Are you strictly looking for one man routines that do not use the audience? While I use assistants I know of a magician who does a solo show and performs the modern art as his closer. It plays real well, especially with his routine and theme.

Cardiographic is a great routine! I use this in my parlor and illusion shows (though I do not use this to close, it could be a closer an any other show)

The Lemon Game is a great closer to a comedy show

Snow storm is a great closer to a serious show if you have a great story to tell.

Velocity is also a great closer.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
There are really so many effects, but ultimately what makes it good as a closer is how it fits the particular performer. I very often close with the linking rings and it is very strong. I know others who could never use them as their closers. Also bear in mind that the pace of effects leading up to the closer will affect the selection of which effect is used as a finale. Without knowing you and your specific show we're not likely to be able to give you the best answer you need.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
A closer should probably not include an audience participation. Your effect is done and the applause cues should not be for your spectators.
The rings are solid and if done to music, that finish is on a high note and a natural applause.
I think that is the key, some effect that you know will prompt the audience to show their reaction.
-----------
When I do kids shows, I do a very active square circle production to music with a large swirling 200' multipaper swirling in a circle and a final load all to music. I have been lazy and just finished with a mouth coil.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Dan Harlan says a closer should follow your biggest effect, and be quaint and charming. This brings you down from a mystical magician to someone the audience can relate to. The paper hat tear, believe it or not, is a good closer.

Depending on the show and type of audience, I have also closed with the chair suspension, linking rings, and silk production with a 6' (butterfly silk) finale.

Jim
hocuspocusjay23
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of hocuspocusjay23
Over the years, I have closed with many different effects and Illusions. However if you are doing kid shows, anything with a rabbit.
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
105 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
I usually close it with a snowstorm routine which I customized by myself.
TheMagicOfDean
View Profile
Regular user
What!? I Only Have
105 Posts

Profile of TheMagicOfDean
I usually close it with a snowstorm routine which I customized by myself.
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
Quote:
On 2011-10-23 09:27, jimhlou wrote:
Dan Harlan says a closer should follow your biggest effect, and be quaint and charming. This brings you down from a mystical magician to someone the audience can relate to.

Thanks, Jim! That's basically what I said. There are two schools of thought on this: One says you should close with your biggest, fanciest routine. The other says you should follow this with a little "send-off" for the audience. I've always gone with the second way since I've found it makes me more approachable after the show, which results in more bookings. If you'd like to read my complete writings on the subject of show structure, you can get them for free for a limited time... Check out this thread to see how: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=76&8
--Dan Harlan
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Closer effects for solo acts (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL