The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Opening effects for solo performances (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

The GodFather
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of The GodFather
It may not be the best place to post this topic but I am sure that people who join this side will be able to give me some good ideas.

Hello friends. I am interested to find new openers for a solo act.

OPENER which grap the antention.

Usualy I use the fire hat to dove.(the only negative factor is that I have to seat up and sometimes I don't have anycover for that, especially when I work in public spaces)

I also use floading sunglasses.(the negative of this is that the thread is visible in day light because the sunglasses is kind of heavy and even the thread is invisible still can be seen)

The best opener I use is vanishing cane to silks. (this is great because I can use it anywhere and also I can prepere this a long time ago at my house or in the car). Unfortunatelly this effect is a part of my act where I use it in the middle and I don't want to have it as an opener any more.

some ideas that I have is:
- torch to cane
- gloves to flowers or doves

QUESTION: what other effects do you know where can be good openners? I am interested most for an opener at a very strict environment BUT IF U HAVE ANY GOOD OPENERS FOR STAGE LET ME KNOW TOO.
"My goal is to spread around happiness and entertainment, by erasing the illusion of time and live in eternity "

The GodFather Magician
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
My vote would be an isn'tant costume change.

Maybe enter dressed like a stage hand. Set down a bag, pull a production broom out of it. Sweep floor. Toy with props a bit. Someone yells to get off the stage. Bang. isn'tant Costume change.... magician!
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
The GodFather
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of The GodFather
Regarding costume change do you know where to get one? Do you use it?
"My goal is to spread around happiness and entertainment, by erasing the illusion of time and live in eternity "

The GodFather Magician
sperris
View Profile
Special user
http://www.Anti-Conjuror.com
881 Posts

Profile of sperris
One of the strongest opening effects I've ever seen was Kevin James' Bowling Ball, it gets an incredible reaction...
DANSPERRY.COM
Munseys_Magic
View Profile
Special user
520 Posts

Profile of Munseys_Magic
Silent Treatment might be my new opener.
Jim Munsey
Munsey's Magic
http://www.MunseysMagic.com
The GodFather
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of The GodFather
What is silent treatment? please give a brief description

The GodFather Magician
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Ugh...I still can't see the attraction of silent treatment. I have watched the vid ten times and it bores me to tears. Maybe I need to see it live to find an appreciation for it. But even if it were deemed a great effect I couldn't imagine it as an opener because of it's monotonous slow quiet pace. People like Fred Kapps could pull off silent openers because they were so theatrically dynamic but he also did visually stunning effects. Fred Kapps didn't speak in his silent act because his mannerisms, expressions and incredible magic skills spoke for themselves. I guess what bothers me somewhat with silent treatment is that you use worded cards as though you can't speak and must express yourself in writing. I just can't see where the audience finds the relevance. It is obvious to the audience that the cards are commercially pre-printed so it's effect as a revelation seems diminished. Making your own hand written cards would seem more logical to me at the least. Ok..enough ranting. Anyway, the openers that seem to work for me are flashy appearances already mentioned and fire always gets peoples attention. I sometimes use a flaming dancing vanishing cane as my opener. I do a bit of dancing cane, torch the top of it and do more dancing cane(looks great in dim light) then vanish the cane. You can get the whole setup as Ultimate cane or buy Peter Loughran's gimmick for vanishing cane. The whole sequence lasts about a minute which seems perfect for an opener. Someone also makes a gimmick to make vanishing cane a dancing cane. I have it but can't remember who makes it. Would be easy to make yourself though.
steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
I have recently started doing the "Stiff Rope" for an opener. I talk about how I am going to use ordinary objects and make them magical objects. The stiff rope sells for $10 new and is very easy to do and learn. It gets quite the response from the audience when the rope stiffens!

Try it. I know you can get one from magicsupply.com.

Steve
steves7
View Profile
Regular user
Blue Springs, Missouri
114 Posts

Profile of steves7
One other thing. I would think that you want an opener to get their attention and establish the fact that you are a legit magician. Several of the items you have suggested do just that.
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I've always started out every show with "Hands & Thumbs" regardless if the show is in a livingroom or in a theater.(a you do as I do effect and in the end your hands turn right side up as the audiences hands are still thumbs down....and end with "go like this..."as you clap your hands -this establishes the right to clap throughout your performance...). I perform it as a "pre-show warm-up" and talk about the importance of warming up the muscles in the hands and wrist... I even comment at one point as the audience is waving their hands, that it is Amish-Air Conditioning... Copperfield and Burton have both done it in their TV specials... I believe I picked it up from "Sherry Lewis's Lamb Chops" as a kid... can't remember...

Bryan
afoi
View Profile
Regular user
malaysia
142 Posts

Profile of afoi
Quote:
On 2006-02-25 09:07, leapinglizards wrote:
My vote would be an isn'tant costume change.

Maybe enter dressed like a stage hand. Set down a bag, pull a production broom out of it. Sweep floor. Toy with props a bit. Someone yells to get off the stage. Bang. isn'tant Costume change.... magician!

this sounds like the idea in the quickchange book by sven shauppenhauer
- a f o i -
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
I am also starting my show with can to silk and then produce a dove or umbrella.
Other options that good to open your show will be: dancing can, silk production, dove production.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I hava a new One Man effect called "Gear Head? on my site. Check it out!

Jack
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I usually start my shows with a flash paper bomb. Kinda like how Phelston Jones starts his act. I find that in most if not all settings, it attracts a crowd or at least a strong viewership. Not really an effect but a good 'attention seeker'. Good luck!
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Jack, I'm interested in seeing Gear Head...sounds interesting.
alexkrey
View Profile
Elite user
RUSSIA
411 Posts

Profile of alexkrey
Jack! When will be video???
Alex Krey
---------------------------
http://www.alexkrey.com
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
End of Aug I hope. I will announce it.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 14:34, John Bowlin wrote:
Ugh...I still can't see the attraction of silent treatment. I have watched the vid ten times and it bores me to tears. Maybe I need to see it live to find an appreciation for it. But even if it were deemed a great effect I couldn't imagine it as an opener because of it's monotonous slow quiet pace. People like Fred Kapps could pull off silent openers because they were so theatrically dynamic but he also did visually stunning effects. Fred Kapps didn't speak in his silent act because his mannerisms, expressions and incredible magic skills spoke for themselves. I guess what bothers me somewhat with silent treatment is that you use worded cards as though you can't speak and must express yourself in writing. I just can't see where the audience finds the relevance. It is obvious to the audience that the cards are commercially pre-printed so it's effect as a revelation seems diminished. Making your own hand written cards would seem more logical to me at the least. Ok..enough ranting. Anyway, the openers that seem to work for me are flashy appearances already mentioned and fire always gets peoples attention. I sometimes use a flaming dancing vanishing cane as my opener. I do a bit of dancing cane, torch the top of it and do more dancing cane(looks great in dim light) then vanish the cane. You can get the whole setup as Ultimate cane or buy Peter Loughran's gimmick for vanishing cane. The whole sequence lasts about a minute which seems perfect for an opener. Someone also makes a gimmick to make vanishing cane a dancing cane. I have it but can't remember who makes it. Would be easy to make yourself though.

I agree -Silent treatment would be better in a smaller show-also bigger text & less cards
Daveandrews
View Profile
Special user
London, UK
723 Posts

Profile of Daveandrews
Kevin, if you don't mind telling us, where can we find the flash paper bombs.

Thanks,

Dave
http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">www.partymagic.org.uk" target="_blank">http://[URL]www.partymagic.org.uk

Winner of KIDabra International's 'People's Choice Award'
Winner IBM British Ring Dittia Shield for manipulation x 2
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Opening effects for solo performances (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL