The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Penn and Teller exposing the Cups and Balls (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
The did it on the View ( the show was being filmed in Vegas ).

I think it would be funny if they did it at a lecture or convention. Not quite sure what their point is.

Oddly enough, it was a basic routine and if you did the Vernon routine right after them, the audience would be fooled.

What I thought was bad is that Penn did a horrible final load. I eman, it was so obvious and that was before he exposed it.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Sam Tabar
View Profile
Inner circle
Austin, Texas
1050 Posts

Profile of Sam Tabar
Was it the routine where they are doing it with clear cups and balls and Penn is talking so fast you couldn't follow him?
"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom." - Anonymous
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
Quote:
Oddly enough, it was a basic routine and if you did the Vernon routine right after them, the audience would be fooled.
The Vernon routine is a (or "the") basic routine, and the Penn and Teller routine (like most cups and balls routines) incorporates elements that are derived from Vernon. But I know what you're saying ...

And in saying it, you're addressing your own concern. I, too, cringed when I first saw the Penn and Teller routine ... but it's a routine based on speed, confusion, etc. The audience sees what they're doing, but they don't actually register what is going on, because it is done so fast. All they know is balls are being snuck under the cups. They know that with every cups and balls routine, really. But with a good routine, they have no idea how the balls are snuck under the cups, and in fact, they think it's impossible to do what you've done. The Penn and Teller routine doesn't diminish this at all.

I've found that most exposures of classics work in my favour. Someone can have seen the Penn and Teller routine, have in mind "how it's done" ... and then when they watch me (or you, or anyone -- I'm not special in this regard), they say, "Hmm ... I know how Penn and Teller did it, but how did this guy do it?" (Or, "Hmm ... how did this guy pull it off on his own? Penn and Teller needed TWO guys!")

Remember that the Vernon routine also contains an exposure ... and then it undermines that exposure. The audience thinks they know how it's done ... and then their illusion is dispelled. Such is the case with this Penn and Teller "exposure".
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Wow... I don't know what to say, other than I don't care.

I talk to people today and they don't even remember the masked magician...
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Penn and Teller can do anything they want because they make their own rules and have their own ethics and could care less what other magicians think. If it irks other magicians then they feel they have succeeded. Of course almost nobody can remember the details of their exposure of the cups and balls unless they videotaped it and studied it. I'm waiting for them to produce a pile of horse manure from a production box therefore proving that they are indeed The Aristocrats of Magic (or should it be The Aristocraps?).
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Penn & Teller were on THE VIEW? Why couldn't they just make Star Jones dissapear? Remember when Henning did it with an elephant? This would have been a 21 Century version... and a public service.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2896 Posts

Profile of Tom G
I saw them live in Boston years ago when they first staarted doing the exposure.
There was a rumor circulating that at some show earlier the performed the exposure and then someone performed a c/b routine in the lobby and fooled everyone.

Tom
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2006-02-25 13:42, bitterman wrote:
Penn & Teller were on THE VIEW? Why couldn't they just make Star Jones dissapear? Remember when Henning did it with an elephant? This would have been a 21 Century version... and a public service.

She did it herself: she lost over a hundred pounds. she looks, incredible. Unfortunately, she can still speak!

I didn't even get the point in the routine they did. OK, using the clear cups is funny. But it lacked an ending. If they did somehting incredible even though the cups were clear, ok.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
As one who has been looking forward to FINALLY seeing the infamous clear C&B, I have to say, it sort of goes against the whole "bad boys" thing to be on the View.

Seriously, the View? I thought Penn hated vapid sentimental pap. Oh wait, except when it's profitable.

You all just reminded me to watch my tivo. I felt so dirty setting it for the view. Hopefully I will be redeemed on that one.

/Yes, I AM a lawyer. Allegedly. (Man I miss Tracey Morgan on SNL)
jgeist1
View Profile
New user
Baltimore
98 Posts

Profile of jgeist1
Quote:
On 2006-02-23 21:30, MagicChris wrote:
I think it would be funny if they did it at a lecture or convention. Not quite sure what their point is.

As a matter of fact, they did do it at a convention. They performed that routine at an Encore Benefit Show at the World Magic Seminar just a few days ago.

-Jason
Bartman311
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Bartman311
Rent pen and tellers magic and mystery tour. it is available on netflix and they do the clear c&b routine. also TELLER SPEAKS!!!
revlovejoy
View Profile
Special user
Pennsylvania
765 Posts

Profile of revlovejoy
OK, I finally saw it. I was still amazed. The way Penn assualts you with words (which he always does), you still watch it and say, ok, the ball is already in there, but how did he put it in?
Balthazar
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Balthazar
If you want to know how he put it in, watch the C&B video on http://www.fordmagic.com No misdirection at all. Bad magic.
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
Haven't they been doing this for years? I remember they did it on the BBC shows which were later broadcast on Comedy Central. I think they did on their 1997 ABC special. (I might be mistaken.) I remember Teller talking about it in the TLC 1997 special in part 2. They even mention that the key is the speed in the "exposure". It is done at a fast pace that is hard to remember.
That's my 2% of $1.00
Ron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Penn and Teller exposing the Cups and Balls (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL