The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Ricochet! by Paul Wilson (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ninian
View Profile
New user
London, England
26 Posts

Profile of Ninian
Hello everyone,

Apologies if posts on this have appeared a lot in the past but the search button seems to have dissapeared so I can't trawl the archives (what's up with that?)

I've been performing Paul Harris' Reset for many years now and it's one of my favourites. In the way that people get strangely emotionally attached to certain trick versions I've never really strayed from the PH version. However, I just watched a movie clip of Ricochet! by Paul Wilson and I loved it. Especially the twist at the end - that took me by complete suprise. Really elegent, really strong.

But! Looking at it on magic shops I noticed the mention of gaffed cards. In recent years I've really gone off carrying around anything more than a deck of cards. Sneaking gaffs in and out of decks during routines just doesn't appeal to me. So, before I buy it, I was wondering if someone who owns this could exapnd a bit on how gaffed we're talking here!
Can the gaffs sit in a normal deck for other routines?
Can the audience hold/inspect the cards?

When I perform reset with normal cards the audience often grab the cards at the end to try and explain it as being trick cards - can they grab these cards at end and find nothing?

Like I said, I usually avoid gaffs but I just loved how clean this presentation was and the end is stunning.

Thanks in advance
Ninian
glatner
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of glatner
ALthoygh I know you don't have the 50 posts required to get into the banquet room, posts of this nature should not really be in the public section of this forum IMO.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
This is a great trick! The cards are gaffed. However, you do end clean at the end. To learn how, you'd have to buy Ricochet! to find out..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1030 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
Al Cohen performed this for myself and another magician a few years back at Al's Magic shop. The trick is very commercial and you do end clean. There is a demo of the effect on Lee Asher's website.

As far as packet tricks go, this is one of the best ones out there. It may even change your mind about using gaffs.
ME
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I'm not really one to use gaffs myself, but Paul Wilson doesn't put his name on just anything. I've yet to see anything from him that I don't like, gaffed or not.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
monark
View Profile
Regular user
Southern IN
162 Posts

Profile of monark
I got it straight from Asher. It is a pretty nice trick.
- curt™
NeoMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
I have...
2017 Posts

Profile of NeoMagic
You can try searching the Magic Café through Google's advanced search feature...

http://www.google.co.uk/advanced_search?hl=en

... just enter themagiccafe.com where it asks for a domain
See and download my latest free card-suits-themed desktop wallpaper | HERE
Scott Kahn
View Profile
Special user
Clayton, NC
771 Posts

Profile of Scott Kahn
I bought this effect when it first came out and, to be honest, was not all that impressed. But all the pros were raving about it so I got it in order to give it a try. The first person I performed it for figured out the gaff involved (although they weren't able to figure out the Asher Twist part). To each their own I suppose... I prefer my variation of Harris' original.
-Scott
Scott Kahn, M.D.

KAHNCEPTUAL CARD MAGIC: MORE DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnceptual-card-magic/

KAHNJURING: DECEPTIVE PRACTICES WITH PLAYING CARDS
https://kahnjuring.com/kahnjuring/

SWINDLES, SCAMS & KAHNS
https://kahnjuring.com/swindles-scams-kahns/
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1080 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On 2006-02-24 06:31, Ninian wrote:
Hello everyone,

Apologies if posts on this have appeared a lot in the past but the search button seems to have dissapeared so I can't trawl the archives (what's up with that?)

I've been performing Paul Harris' Reset for many years now and it's one of my favourites. In the way that people get strangely emotionally attached to certain trick versions I've never really strayed from the PH version. However, I just watched a movie clip of Ricochet! by Paul Wilson and I loved it. Especially the twist at the end - that took me by complete suprise. Really elegent, really strong.

BUT! Looking at it on magic shops I noticed the mention of gaffed cards. In recent years I've really gone off carrying around anything more than a deck of cards. Sneaking gaffs in and out of decks during routines just doesn't appeal to me. So, before I buy it, I was wondering if someone who owns this could exapnd a bit on how gaffed we're talking here!
Can the gaffs sit in a normal deck for other routines?
Can the audience hold/inspect the cards?

When I perform reset with normal cards the audience often grab the cards at the end to try and explain it as being trick cards - can they grab these cards at end and find nothing?

Like I said, I usually avoid gaffs but I just loved how clean this presentation was and the end is stunning.

Thanks in advance
Ninian

I don't care for carrying around a lot of gaffed cards either, but I do make an exception with a few routines such as Richochet and Ultimate Three Card Monte. Cleaning up Richochet is relatively easy to do (without drawing suspicion) and then you're left with a regular deck. I've been doing Richochet for years and it's been one of my favorite effects. Having the four special cards in my business card holder allows me to ring the cards into and out of play with no fuss.

If you go to Lee Asher's site you'll see that Lee now has an updated DVD of his twist, and there's a combo deal for Richochet and the DVD, so now would be a great time to add this to your repetoire. http://www.leeasher.com While at his site you can see both the Asher Twist and Ricochet performed (for the latter go to the "Watch Videos" section and scroll down). Good Luck!
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
The video flashed a bit exposing the gaffs.
Magic is a vanishing art.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
On a side note for this, how are the angles on the Asher Twist?
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I think I learned to lower or tilt the top portion of the cards, facing the spec, downward a little to avoid fl******.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Ninian
View Profile
New user
London, England
26 Posts

Profile of Ninian
Thanks everyone for the info.
I've ordered it now!
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
On 2006-02-25 09:44, kid iowa wrote:
On a side note for this, how are the angles on the Asher Twist?

Not great, but not horrible. Not quite as sensitive as, say, the snap change. But enough of an issue so that you can't do it in a lot of situations, and enough of an issue so that some guys just don't do it. But it's a nice move and worth learning.
Christopher Williams
View Profile
Inner circle
Portsmouth, UK
4449 Posts

Profile of Christopher Williams
Search for Café threads using google about the Asher Twist. I gave tips that Lee passed on about the Asher Twist at the Session Convention and it seemed to work in terms of improving angles and making the move pretty much silent
www.magicman13.co.uk

Copies of the limited edition 'MindPlay' still available
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
Hey guys,
The angles on the Twist are just fine. The Twist will work for audiences of any size as long as they can see the cards. And as for the noise, I never knew the it made any.

This should answer all your questions:

http://www.leeasher.com/asher_twist.htm

I hope that helps.
Justin Hanes
clamon86
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of clamon86
Ricochet and Reset are both awesome and I do them both and they both get great reaction. I like to have both in my repetiore because they are used best in different situations. Ricochet is more of a fast paced effect, and reset is more of a formal piece or table piece depending on which version you do.

Ricochet is alittle more visual, yet has gaffs. Reset, is fun to watch and awesome, yet the are many many more moves(counts, shifts, breaks).
Marco S.
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Marco S.
Quote:
On 2006-02-24 09:05, glatner wrote:
ALthoygh I know you don't have the 50 posts required to get into the banquet room, posts of this nature should not really be in the public section of this forum IMO.

I disagree. To me the question is OK.
The cards cannot really be inspected and normally they cannot be put in an ordinary deck. If you have the trick, you will know what I mean.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Okay, first of all...
There are two methods of doing this effect. The first is very direct and uses the asher twist. The asher twist is an awesome effect, but the angles are horrendous for most people, unless you do it well...Like Lee does in the video, if you know the twist, you'd be amazed at how he can do it from that angle.

The second method is a little bit more drawn out, and would probably provide for a more fun show from a laymen's perspective... and it's self working.

The gaffs are not inspectable, and could not be left in the deck throughout other routines. There are however, two cleanup methods offered in the booklet, and I'm sure you could think of your own.
After doing the trick, usually people don't ask to see the cards until they're done looking at the normal ones, at which point you're already clean.

In short, I haven't had any problems with the gaffs, and for my money, I think it's a good trick.
smitty
View Profile
Veteran user
Picton, Ontario
358 Posts

Profile of smitty
I personally don't like Ricochet, mainly because I don't like using gaffed cards at all. The first time I watched it, this was very evident. Now Slap Aces by Lee is AWESOME, as is The Asher Twist.

I'm sure those of you who purchased Ricochet will gets TONS of fun and mileage from it. Just not for me.

smitty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Ricochet! by Paul Wilson (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL