The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ebay cup nonsense (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Laird
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
124 Posts

Profile of Laird
I'm still waiting for the grilled cheese sandwich with the image of Jesus Christ that I paid $25,000 for. Boy it's gonna taste good!
It's never to late to have a happy childhold!
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
It goes really good with a red wine. Dark red.
Make sure the sandwich is made with unleavened bread.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
There is a new scammer on eBay. Well, not really new, but they are, shall we say, "overly proud" of their magic tricks.

Their latest offering is a large Morrissey Chop Cup for the low starting bid of $29.99. That's US dollars. It does include free shipping.

A quick trip to the Morrissey web site reveals that the price of the cup is $29.50. That's Canadian Dollars. This is $26.17 USD.

That means that you can get the cup from Morrissey for the same amount that you can buy it on eBay. Shipping will be about the same from Canada as the difference in the price.

If this gets bid up any more, though, the fellow who made the first bid will overpay for the cup.

It pays to do a search on EVERY new item you see on eBay. I've seen the Buddha chop cup from Fantasma at a starting bid of $169.50. It lists for $150.00.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
I don't want to rain on any parade but I'd like to remind everyone of what Bill has already said, do your homework.

I've made some very good purchases on eBay at very reasonable prices. I bought a set of Johnson cups after another magician finally bit the bullet and bought Sherwoods and his Johnsons just collected dust.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I just bought some copper Bazar de Magia cups from an ebay store with good feedback. However, minutes ago, I got a message from the seller that when they pulled my package to ship it, they found it was aluminum cups in a box marked copper. Their distributor is out of copper cups, too. I'm now back ordered for at least three weeks.

I'm off to check if they're still listing copper cups.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

"I know of no other art that proclaims itself 'easy to do.'" -Master Payne

Ezekiel the Green
rikbrooks
View Profile
Inner circle
Olive Branch, Mississippi
1317 Posts

Profile of rikbrooks
If they are telling the truth then you really did get lucky. I can easily see a distributor not looking inside the box. Your's did.
CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
I agreed to wait for my cups and suggested they remove further listings for copper cups until they have them.

I got another response back thanking me and saying they'd remove their current listing.

Now I can only wait and see.
"You know some of you are laughin', but there's people here tryin' to learn. . ." -Pop Haydn

Ezekiel the Green
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Very little chaps me more than a person who lists something on ebay that they do not actually have. I purchase magic sets just for the cups and balls sets. Don't get me wrong. I don't cannibalize good, rare magic sets just to feed my addiction. So, I purchased a magic set from a kid in Canada. I always pay immediately. I sent him a message asking for an invoice, and did not hear from him for a week. So I finally sent him a message that explained that I wanted to get this transaction over with, and that the courtesy of a reply would be nice.

He told me he couldn't find the instructions. I replied that I didn't need the instructions. I told him to take all of the tricks out of the box, put them in a small box and send them to me. Instead, he packed up the whole thing in a big box, and it cost more to ship it than the magic set did.

Weird.

Sometimes it pays to read feedback very carefully, even if all of it is positive.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The latest offender in the cups and balls nonsense poll is a fellow who calls himself luv2havfun. His listing reads:

FRED KAPS CUPS AND BALLS DAI VERNON Michael Ammar RARE

Now, there are three lies in this line. They are as follows:
1) Dai Vernon had nothing to do with this routine.
2) Michael Ammar had nothing to do with this routine.
3) It isn't "rare." Just to prove this, I purchased one this morning from Denny and Lee.

The first two points mean that this listing is what they call "celebrity name spamming." He knows about this, because I have sent him a message about it.

The third means that the seller is a liar or an ignoramus.

But you don't have to fall for his bogus listing.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Well, the eBay bandits are at it again.

One has a set of the Original Phoenix Cups up with a starting bid of $125.00. He says he paid $250 for them a couple of years ago, and calls them "Bertram Style Cups."

Here's the burn. The ones that people paid $250 for had a Certificate of Authenticity with them. He "lost" his. So, they are not worth as much.

Another clever entrepreneur has purchased some of the bathroom tumblers from Wal-Mart and wants $30 for them. Nice try. If you want some of these go to Wal-Mart. You can get the same set for about $20.00.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
I almost got cought! tanks for aswer my pm bill,i didn't know it was in here.
those bathroom tumblers looks like a real cups for the cups and balls!!
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
It is forums like these and looking out for each others "Six" taht will help us overcome the Scammers.

One does not ofbject to paying fair value for good product as advertised.

Getting bent over the barrell... that is a different matter.
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Here's another. There is a fellow who is selling what is purported to be some nice brass cups. The photo is doctored. The photo is the same cup three times. Not only that, he fails to mention that they are by Trickmaster. And he included a free trick that was a knockoff of one of Tom Ladshaw's items.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I should add this -- after I sent a message to the seller that I was disappointed about the knockoff trick and the Trickmaster cups, he offered to make a refund. I told him I appreciated it, but I would keep them anyway. After all, how can I complain about a set of overpriced, junky cups, if I don't have a set in the museum?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

CJRichard
View Profile
Special user
Massachusetts
542 Posts

Profile of CJRichard
Bill, I've got a nice set of IMPROMTU® paper cups left over from a birthday party and I'll sell 'em to you really cheap!

Chris

Ezekiel the Green
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I hate to tell you about this, Chris, but those are knockoffs of the original Dixie® cups.

These are not to be confused with the Dixie® Chicks, even though they share some of the same characteristics.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
What the cups are you guys talking about??
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Just paper cups. The original paper drinking cups were called Dixie® cups. We would have put smileys in but we thought everyone would get the joke.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

Euangelion
View Profile
Special user
688 Posts

Profile of Euangelion
Quote:
On 2006-10-03 03:12, Bill Palmer wrote:
I hate to tell you about this, Chris, but those are knockoffs of the original Dixie® cups.

These are not to be confused with the Dixie® Chicks, even though they share some of the same characteristics.

Bill, here above the Mason Dixon line we call those Cups of the Southern Transgression.
Bill Esborn

"Lutefisk: the piece of cod that passes all understanding."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Ebay cup nonsense (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL