The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Whether to use a rabbit in my act... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicKev
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MagicKev
I use a live goldfish in my act, but I'd like to use a larger animal in my act, such as a rabbit. However, I live in a modest apartment, so keeping a rabbit would be difficult.

I don't want to disappoint my clients and not have any animals, so any thoughts on other animals that I could use?

Or perhaps I don't need to use live animals at all. Thoughts?
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I'm not a fan of live animals in shows...just my opinion. Instead I use the Wacky Weasel and/or my Sword Chicken from Wolf's Magic...another option is to go the puppet route which I think is an equally worthwile way to go.

Smartini
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I used to have animals in my shows but I am also in an apt. and the cost and up keep for the naimals made it impractical for us. We also do so many outdoor shows tand fesivals, that traveling with them to these shows became a problem and I just did not want to have the birds and rabbits in the heat and such. I felt bad about it so decided against it.

However, I have not had any porblems with not having animals in the shows. My routines and shows are geared towards family audiences and engages them in a fun and interactive fashion so they still have a great time and I never feel depended upon having animals to deliver on a top quality service to my clients.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Ask yourself this, "Would I be interested in having a rabbit as part of the family if I wasn't doing magic shows?" If the answer is yes, then consider a rabbit, if the answer is no, then don't get it just for the show. You never know, you may not like the hassle and then you've still got a pet even if he isn't part of your show.

I don't use a rabbit, but I wouldn't trade my snakes and doves for the world-I have a blast using them and they are great pets as well. Professional pets...I like the sound of that...
AragorntheMagician
View Profile
Veteran user
Metro-Atlanta
304 Posts

Profile of AragorntheMagician
As you can find elsewhere in here I highly recommend ChinChilla's. About the size of a SMALL dwarf rabbit. No oder, No fleas, No one allergic. And where a rabbit lives 6 - 8 years, a chinchilla lives 15 - 20 years. The main downsize is that they are air-conditioned creatures. Nothing over 80 degrees. They have no sweat glands. But kids go nuts over them (the mothers too...lol). I use mine in FirePans, Crystal Casket, Change Bag (when small), Mirror Box (will hold two) and will fit in normal square circle. They come in approx. 12 colors. I now have 5 of them (Breeding pair and 3 kits). Using animals is a personal preference. Your routine still needs to be good. If you love animals their just the iceing on the cake and the kids love them.
Yours,
Aragorn TM
aka: I used to be BOB (It's Cellini's fault)
"All Right, Who's Volunteering to be Turned into a Frog???"
www.aragornthemagician.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I love using my rabbit in my shows. Don't get a rabbit just to add an animal.
They are a pet and become part of the family. Or should anyway. If they don't, stay away. Smartini's suggest may be best for you.
Daniel Faith
MagicKev
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MagicKev
Thanks for your help and practical advice. I feel better about sticking with just using my goldfish.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Quote:
On 2006-02-25 20:52, Chad C. wrote:
Ask yourself this, "Would I be interested in having a rabbit as part of the family if I wasn't doing magic shows?" If the answer is yes, then consider a rabbit, if the answer is no, then don't get it just for the show. You never know, you may not like the hassle and then you've still got a pet even if he isn't part of your show.

To me this is an excellent excellent post that speaks to the heart of the question...bravo Chad C. for nailing this one!

Smartini
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Why thank you Mr. Smartini.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
Chad... Do you use the snakes for kids shows?

I get a lot of requests for a snake when I am performing at boys birthday parties.
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Mike,
Yep, I use the snake at most of my b-day shows, all my library shows, and I do an exotic animal show for childcare centers. The snake is in all of those shows. I also do a biology related "Exotic Animal Show" for schools, and the snake is in those as well. I also use a white dove, an emperor scorpion, and a tarantula in my exotic animal show.

The snake is a great selling point. Every once in a while, you will find a parent who says, "NO SNAKES"! Then they get the innocent dove instead, but most of the children want to see and touch the snake. I did a show a few days ago and the b-day girl had seen my show at her school, so her and her friends all wanted to see the snake. Unfortunately, the mom had said she didn't thought the snake would be scary and wanted only the dove. She felt really sheepish when she had to tell the kids that the reason there was no snake was because she was too scared of it.

But the show went really well anyway. Snakes are funny, at some shows you can clear the room when the snake comes out-but then, always, they come back in and want to pet her, and many are seeing something up close that they don't get to see very often if at all.

One more good thing about snakes-they don't care about sitting in dark spaces for extended periods and they don't go to the bathroom very often, or shed (hair I mean), or smell. I love them. And finally, always tell the parents and kids to wash their hands after petting the snake-or any other animal!

Well, that was long...have a nice day.
Chad C.
View Profile
Inner circle
1522 Posts

Profile of Chad C.
Mike,
Do you have a snake as well? If so, what kind do you have. Mine are ball pythons.
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
You're a lot braver than me. Doves only for me.

I was just curious if the kids really want to see a snake or if they just say it to look cool in front of there friends. You answered that question.

You have proven the point that if you use animals you like as pets, they will do well for you in your show.
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
magic_man204
View Profile
Veteran user
north idaho
350 Posts

Profile of magic_man204
Another option is the rocky the raccoon puppet.it is basically a spring but you can make it look cool with a little practice. Kids love them (you don't have to feed or klean up after them eather)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Whether to use a rabbit in my act... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL