The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you say? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I am curious to know what you say when the spec says, "Do that again."

When I vanish a quarter, I usually say something like, "I only do it once because it's too expensive to do it twice. I lose 25 cents every time." This usually gets a laugh and gets me out of it.

What do you say?
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Well, in some cases you can just do it again. Never do the same trick by the same means twice, but doing it by a totally different means is ok. As there are thousands of ways to vanish a quarter, just pick another and do that.
Or just say, "Well, I could do that again, but this next one is much cooler," and then do something else.
DarkArts
View Profile
New user
Singapore
25 Posts

Profile of DarkArts
Hmm, for me hehe, well, I perform it only once and then if they ask me to perform the trick again, I will do it differently. If there is no other technique, I will change subject from that trick to another to avoid disappointing them.
Smile
"HuMaNs SeeKs MaGiC pOwEr WhIL3 EY lIve"
femur
View Profile
Regular user
Belgium
174 Posts

Profile of femur
I get this question a lot from my students (I perform for classes regularly). When someone asks to 'make the card appear in the wallet again', I do essentially the same trick but with another method.
"I can't really think of a good quote to put here"
Trevian
View Profile
New user
Omaha, NE
9 Posts

Profile of Trevian
Generally when someone asks me to repeat a trick, I say, "Let me show you something a little bit different instead; I think you'll like it." Of course, that means you need to know more than one trick at a performance level, which was my problem when I was getting started. Smile Therefore, I think it's a good idea to get a couple tricks in your bag before doing too much in public, where the pressure is on.
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
Your expensive patter is a great way to deal with it. That's good creativity!!
Magic Geek
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2002-11-24 10:55, pg1013 wrote:
I am curious to know what you say when the spec says "Do that again".

I smile and say, "No." Then I start to twitch and drool and start talking to myself. They usually leave me alone after that.
Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
bizarrewreck
View Profile
New user
Fort Collins, CO
51 Posts

Profile of bizarrewreck
Yes, I would say that you've already got a great patter for moving onto the next trick.
ActuariaLug
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of ActuariaLug
"Do you know how much time I'd have left if every single person asked me to 'Do that again.'?"

"The first time was free. But the second time's gonna cost ya."

DarryltheWizard has an awesome post/thread on this in the Now That's Funny section:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......4&42
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Thanks everyone! Great lines. And thanks for the link, there're some great lines there, too.
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1587 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
It means your performance is good and spectators want more. You should prepare several tricks in your bag (brain).

Try to figure out a routine of several tricks for different occasions, then you will be fine. That is what I am doing now.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
Vinnie Anderson
View Profile
New user
atlanta
84 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Anderson
If I do it once it's magic, if I do it twice it's a magic lesson. I do magic, not lessons.

Smile Smile
thanos4182
View Profile
New user
61 Posts

Profile of thanos4182
I use the same line as Vinnie. The first time it's magic, the second time it's a lesson. This is because most people ask you to do it a second time just so they have a chance to figure out what you did.
CardSharp
View Profile
Regular user
Philadelphia
105 Posts

Profile of CardSharp
I sometimes say "Oh, you missed it? That's very sad." And I go on to my next trick. Sure it's a little mean but they don't ask a second time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What do you say? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL