The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Books??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nickelby
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Nickelby
Hi, please give examples of some useful books which not just taught you the dipping method, but how to go about it using different methods of misdirection so that they can't feel it...

(Outlining their contents would be good too).

Thanks!
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
Get Jim Ravel's book. I don't have it, but I've heard it's good. It will teach you the false return which is perhaps the greatest tool a stage pickpocket could use.

Ali
A Smile, mind reading, funny escape artist wanna-be
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Jims Ravels Theatrical Pickpocketing is a GREAT book although if I'm not mistaken, it does not expain a false return.

James Freedmans video does go over this and is also very good.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Ricki Dunn's book is coming out in April and will no doubt, be very good. If you don't want to wait, then take the suggestions Chris provided.
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
Ooops! Doesn't James mention that Jim's book talks about it? Oh well myabe he was talking about Mark Raffles.

Ali
Nickelby
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Nickelby
Thanks everybody!
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Queston... Does james freedman go over more than the false returns?

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
MUCH MORE lol. He covers an awful lot of stuff. Each pocket he covers includes about 3 different methods of steals, he covers most types of watches (the same as any other guide only this is very indepth), stealing spectacles whilst they're being worn as well. This is a jam-packed DVD well worth the cash.

Ali
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Here is my deal.

My presentation skills are great. They have to be to do this kinda magic, not to mention magic just about in general. I am awesome with people. Do you think Ortiz's Strong magic would still benefit me?

Also is the book "Magic By Misdirection" any better?
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
Even if you're planning on buying books, get the Freedman DVD. You won't regret it.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Your sure? 56 minutes for all those moves her goes over... are you sure he covers it all?
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
If you're just starting, he will keep you busy for a very long time. I think you'll find the investment in the DVD worthwhile.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Ok, thank you...
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
ac-magic
View Profile
Regular user
South East UK
149 Posts

Profile of ac-magic
Also, for a great DVD about misdirection in general, get "Done by Mis-direction" by Manuel Meurte. It has some great tricks in it, plus he gives a lot of infomation about mis-direction. He may be German (The accent is a little grating) but the info within is GOLD-DUST!!!

Ali
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 18:12, xjesterx wrote:

My presentation skills are great. They have to be to do this kinda magic, not to mention magic just about in general. I am awesome with people. Do you think Ortiz's Strong magic would still benefit me?

If you have to write that your skills are great, and are awesome with people, then why would you need to look at Strong Magic, you have everything you need to suceed.

Maybe Absolute Magic by Derren Brown would be more up your alley. It deals with ego in magic.
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Ouch...

Please folks, I was not, in anyway, trying to be big headed, I am, by no means better than anyone here. I am sorry if I hurt anyones feelings...

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
<Hi, please give examples of some useful books which not just taught you the dipping method, BUT HOW TO GO ABOUT IT using different methods of misdirection so that they CANT feel it... >

While the pickpocketing books and dvds mentioned do indeed contain a wealth of information, you really do need to read between the lines to answer your question properly. They focus mainly on teaching the basics of each steal rather than on how to perform them in real situations and get away with them.

There are some routines suggested in theatrical pickpocketing that lend themselves to stealing from the participant, but any routine that allows you to get close to and handle/reposition/help your participant will allow you the opportunity to steal from them.

The secrets of exactly how to steal in the context of performance seems to be highly guarded, or conveniently simplified or overlooked in most of the available sources. And I understand why, because it has taken me a long time to make pickpocketing a workable part of my performances. Here are a few things that I have gotten from reading between the lines and applying and developing in my own performances, that I think may help answer the initial question in this post.

Examine routines that involve touching your participant or that could involve touching them. If there is a reason to use their pocket for something, even better. In other words rather than trying to build routines around pickpocketing, try injecting it into your current routines, magic, comedy, or otherwise. What are you already doing that gets you close to your helpers?

Think about how best to disguise the steals from your participant AND from your audience. These are two seperate ideas and should be treated as such. In other words sometimes your audience will know more than your participant, and sometimes the opposite is true. Think about how you can control both of these factors.

The fake return is like a one behind principle. Mix one behind with one ahead to get multiple steps ahed of your audience and you participant.

One of the best kinds of misdirection for the participant is by keeping their mind occupied with an instruction or question. In the context of a routine simply examine what comes next in the routine and how can I introduce the next part in such a way as to move their attention ahead of I what I am doing/touching/holding now.

Also think about what principles of magic and mentalism(one of the most important lessons in pickpocketing is based on a mentalism principle, loosely mentioned above, though probably not the most obvious one) can be applied and how.

And most importantly practise the mechanics of the steals well enough that you are not distracted with their execution during the act. If you are, it will show and tip them as to what you are doing.

Read between THESE lines, I hope you get some ideas.

A good pickpocket routine can take years to develop, so keep working at it.
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
MDantes
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1435 Posts

Profile of MDantes
Chappy...

The answer I was looking for.

Thank you for your wisdom.

Jester
S.A.N.C.T.U.M Chapter 18

Member 17
danchanmagic
View Profile
New user
San Francisco, CA
22 Posts

Profile of danchanmagic
Techniques of the Professional Pickpocket (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1......ion=used
$129.95

That's one of the few resources I don't have... A bit pricy...

Here are some of the Resources I can personally recommend:
Pickpocketing Resources
Complete Course in Pick Pocketing by Pierre Jacques
Go on... Steal Yourself - how to be a pickpocket
How to Pick Pockets for Fun and Profit 2nd Edition
How to Pick Pockets for Fun and Profit 1992 Edition
Mark Raffles the Legacy DVD
Stealing the Show - The Ultimate Pickpocket Guide by James Fredman DVD
The Art of Watch Stealing by Gregory Wilson
Theatrical Pickpocketing by Jim Ravel
The Pickpocket Secrets of Mark Raffles VHS
Travel Advisory by Bob Arno
Whiz Mob: A Correlation of the Technical Argot of Pickpockets with Their Behavior Pattern (Paperback)by David W. Maurer

The one to avoid is the James Coat DVD...
Touchstone
View Profile
New user
Belgium
37 Posts

Profile of Touchstone
What do you consider the best book for misdirection?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pardon me, sir... » » Books??? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL