The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Books... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Nickelby
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Nickelby
Any in mind?
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
While not all books, here's some sources.

Martin Gardner's "Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic" has tons of stuff and no cards.

Coin books and videos may be good for you.
J.B. Bobo's "Modern Coin Magic" is a must if you don't already own it.

There are also videos by Dan Harlan, Gregory Wilson, Tom Mullica, Jay Sankey and others who have worked exclusively on impromptu tricks.
Nickelby
View Profile
New user
83 Posts

Profile of Nickelby
Got em all...except for encyclopedia (that one I wrote down and I will be getting it when I have some money!)

Thanks for the reccomendation jaz, you're definitely the best guy I know on this forum!
milamber
View Profile
Regular user
So. Cal
128 Posts

Profile of milamber
Some of the material in the "Art of Astonishment" series of books by Paul Harris are impromptu...
frenchmagi
View Profile
Loyal user
264 Posts

Profile of frenchmagi
I heard the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is discontinued because the author wants to release a second improved version. Does anyone know?
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1939 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
Raphlo2,

Mr. Gardner is not currently working on a new version of the EIM. BUT, someone is.
I do not feel comfortable revealing who is presently working on it, but Mr. Gardner says that it will come about "someday."
Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Lifesavers by Mike Webber, if you can find it...hands down the #1 Impromptu Magic Source...but that's just my opinion...

RJ
Later & Out
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6091 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The two best books on this subject are the Gardner book and Scarne's Magic Tricks.
gollymrscience
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of gollymrscience
The Amarr(sp) video Icebreakers has some good stuff.
Rajat Mittal
View Profile
New user
London
98 Posts

Profile of Rajat Mittal
Banachek's PK Time and PK touches are great, though they are only one effect each, they are incredibly strong. Docc Hillford's "Real Time Mentalism" series also has some great impromptu mentalism.

Dan Harlan has a series on rubberband magic that is mostly impromptu
daz222
View Profile
Elite user
Wales
439 Posts

Profile of daz222
Do a search and you would of found that there was already a thrad on this in the same section, just a few beneath this one:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......2&15

Daz
Mind_Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
The Sunshine State USA
1229 Posts

Profile of Mind_Magic
You can buy Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic book by Martin Gardner with Hank Lee's Web Page.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2674 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Lifesavers by Mike Weber is the only magic book I have read from beginning to end in years. Instead of just jumping around, etc. A GREAT book, but appears to be out-of-print at the moment. Best,
Brad Burt
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The cheapest copy of Gardner's Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic I can find online is over $150!! Hank Lee no longer has it listed, and it sounds like the new version hinted at above will be awhile in coming out. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Up until a few minutes ago I was high bidder on a copy of Gardner's Encyclopedia on eBay at $62. In the last EIGHT SECONDS some guy who hadn't even been bidding on it before jumped in and outbid my maximum $77 bid by ONE DOLLAR to snag it for $78!!! I've been on eBay since the very beginning and can't understand how he could time it so well. I was sitting there refreshing every 10 seconds at the end, and he jumped in and grabbed it. I'm heartbroken. Smile
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3589 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
According to my sources, a NEW edition of the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic will be coming out sometime soon. Magic, Inc, I believe, will be publishing it, in hardback and, while it will NOT be at the old price, I doubt that it will be up in the $150 range, either (at least, I hope not!).

Some other sources for impromptu stuff include:

Slydini Encores
Stars of Magic (Vernon's Impromptu Cups & Balls, Slydini's Flight of the Paper Balls, Carlysle's Watch Steal, for instance)
Dai Vernon Book of Magic - quite a bit of material in there is essentially impromptu, frankly.
The Best of Slydini

Just for openers.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
Law
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Law
Check out Miracle Factory's new website. You can now pre-order the limited edition of the new Impromptu.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
The pre-orders appear to be only for a limited edition at $300. The other book listed on the same page also has a $300 limited edition, and that one also has a $150 'regular' edition. If the Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic's regular edition comes out for a comparable price of $150, then it will be just too costly for amateurs like me. This is, of course, an okay price for professionals - and I must assume that's who they're marketing this edition to. My maximum would be $75, which I would gladly pay. I'd even pre-order.
dave100
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of dave100
Quote:
On 2006-04-29 21:29, airship wrote:
Up until a few minutes ago I was high bidder on a copy of Gardner's Encyclopedia on eBay at $62. In the last EIGHT SECONDS some guy who hadn't even been bidding on it before jumped in and outbid my maximum $77 bid by ONE DOLLAR to snag it for $78!!! I've been on eBay since the very beginning and can't understand how he could time it so well. I was sitting there refreshing every 10 seconds at the end, and he jumped in and grabbed it. I'm heartbroken. Smile

look up 'auction snipe on ebay' on google, to find out what he did.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
Thanks, Dave, but I already know about sniping. It's just that this guy had only bought a few items on eBay before, so it didn't seem like the kind of trick he'd pull. Plus his name had 'magic' in it and he has never sold anything online, so I'm pretty sure he wasn't a collectibles dealer. I didn't even THINK about sniping being a problem with a magic book. That's the kind of thing you see done for tech gear and big-money collectibles. Of course, I guess this book has become a big-money collectible, hasn't it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Impromptu Books... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL