The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized deck by rote (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cardguy24
View Profile
Regular user
101 Posts

Profile of cardguy24
I Just started trying to learn the Aronson stack. Because I don't have the book I have been doing by rote or cold memory. I can already name the first 26 cards in order. Anyone else try to memorize a deck this way?
I am doing it this way because the nmnemonics that I have seen for other decks like the Nikola system seemed to be very confusing and not helpful to me. Am I going in the right direction or making a big mistake by doing it through cold memory? Or does s it not matter.

Thanks!!!!
jecar
View Profile
Veteran user
358 Posts

Profile of jecar
When you decide on the stack that you want to use, here's a good little program that will help you practice it.

http://www.stackview.com/

Jerry
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
503 Posts

Profile of jcigam
I learned the stack by rote memorization. I found the best way for me was to take a deck of cards and write the stack number which coincides with the card (obviously) on the back. This makes a deck of flash cards and then I ran through them on a daily basis.

Study the flash cards by looking at the numbers and naming the card, then look at the card and name the number. You can then turn half of them the opposite direction and shuffle them together; now you are working positions vs. cards and cards vs. positions; be creative.

I guess my point is (I am kind of stating the obvious) in order to "KNOW" your stack you must know it frontwards, backwards, inside and out, know what card falls at what position and what position is each card (if that makes sense).

Hope this helps,

Jered S.
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Tamariz has some of the best work available on memorizing a stack rapidly. Even though you're using the Aronson stack, you'll definitely want to get a copy of Mnemonica, since most of the information applies to any full deck stack.
JHodgeCMI
View Profile
Veteran user
Washington State
352 Posts

Profile of JHodgeCMI
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 20:54, jecar wrote:
When you decide on the stack that you want to use, here's a good little program that will help you practice it.

Jerry

Thanks, for the link Jerry!!!
ithomson
View Profile
Veteran user
330 Posts

Profile of ithomson
Cardguy24

I second the recommendation for Stackview. This is a lovely utility.

The only issue I can see with not using a standard memory system is that you're missing out on a wonderful tool that's incredibly useful for many things (and not just in magic).

If you're having problems with the descriptions in "Encyclopedia Of Card Magic", I'd recommend either Lorayne's or Buzan's books on memory training.

Ian
Dermit
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Dermit
I learned Aronson by rote and do not regret it at all. I did just like jcigam mentioned, made a deck a flash card deck and continously was shuffling and testing. As I was learning, I learned them all in order 1-52, I would add 2 to 5 new cards a day to the stack of flash cards I knew, but always took the stack and shuffled and tested. Now that I have it all down (I memorized last year, December) I always test myself, even when not performing. I got in such a habit that there are certain times when I recite the stack in my head just for practice. Especially while driving alone in the car, or on the treadmill at the gym (gets my mind off the running). I also make a habit of when I see a number from 1 to 52, like on a license plate, home address, etc. I test myself by naming the card linked to that index. One day I decided to test myself every once in while on reciting the Aronson stack after one in-faro shuffle, it's not that hard once you have the stack down cold and could come in handy.

I've got mnemonica and Try the impossible, both have great ideas... does anyone have a recommendation for another book... I'm think like one from Aronson.... is Bound to Please a good one?
Ron Sill
kerpa
View Profile
Special user
Michael Miller
594 Posts

Profile of kerpa
I too learned it exactly the way jcigam says. You are heading in the right direction.
kerpa
a/k/a Michael Miller
Chicago area
Michael Miller
(Michael Merlin: original family --and stage-- name)
Bill Lhotta
View Profile
Veteran user
on top of a 14000' mountain in Colorado
356 Posts

Profile of Bill Lhotta
> I'm think like one from Aronson.... is Bound to Please a good one?

Bound to Please is great! It has some incredible effects such as shuffle-bored and histed heisted. Simon's other book "Simply Simon" is great too!

** Bill **
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
When you get the deck memorized it will be a powerful tool. It doesn't matter at all how you memorize it. Rote works. I learned a lot of stuff in school by rote before I found out about mnemonics.

There may be faster ways, but some guys spend more time trying to decide how to memorize a deck that it will take to do it. Just jump in. It's just not that hard.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
SDR
View Profile
Elite user
430 Posts

Profile of SDR
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 20:48, cardguy24 wrote:
I Just started trying to learn the Aronson stack. Because I don't have the book I have been doing by rote or cold memory. I can already name the first 26 cards in order. Anyone else try to memorize a deck this way?
I am doing it this way because the nmnemonics that I have seen for other decks like the Nikola system seemed to be very confusing and not helpful to me. Am I going in the right direction or making a big mistake by doing it through cold memory? Or does s it not matter.

Thanks!!!!

I think you're limiting yourself by not learning one with in built effects and methods to get into other stacks/new deck order.
jcigam
View Profile
Special user
Bellevue, Nebraska
503 Posts

Profile of jcigam
1st, the Aronson Stack (as well as the Tamariz stack and others) has a vault of built in routines; 2nd, I have never found a professional reason for having to get into the stack from new deck order.

I am not saying that it wouldn't be "COOL" to get into your stack from new deck order but, I just haven't found a professional situation where I would have been required to do it.

Like I said above, I memorized the Aronson stack using the flash cards (rote) and I have never regretted learning this particular stack. I agree with Mr. Loomis; you need to just do it.

Jered S.
"The mind has exactly the same power as the hand, not merely to grasp the world, but to change it."
Mesquita
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of Mesquita
Quote:
On 2006-02-27 20:54, jecar wrote:

Jerry

I always recommend that program for everybody that uses a memorized deck. Nick Pudar, the creator, is a Café Member, and one more time I would like to thank him for this excellent program! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Siempre somos tres me acompańa la luna y me sigue mi sombra" René Lavand
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Once you basically know a stack, you can practice it easily almost anywhere. I review the Aronson stack often while driving and during my morning walk. No cards are required. I first just go through the deck, from Ace of Clubs to the King and then the other suits. I recall the stack number of each card. I also pick numbers off of houses, parked cars, etc. I name the card at the stack number. I also just run through the order of the cards... forwards and backwards mentally. It's not that I'm learning... I've used the stack for over 10 years, but just sharpening the skills and staying on top of it. A few minutes a day and the stack remains firmly in the mind and fast to work with.
Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
Ryan 101
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
164 Posts

Profile of Ryan 101
I just got Try the Impossible by Aronson (really good book)and I'm still trying to memorize the stack as well. I'm trying to memorize it the same way you are, but as I go on I realize that you should be able to match the card and the number together. Also in his book there are many tricks using the stack that you don't need to have the order memorized.

Ryan
Hoelderlin
View Profile
Regular user
Turin, italy
112 Posts

Profile of Hoelderlin
A very good tool for memorizing anything is the Supermemo http:///www.supermemo.com . It is based on the principle of the "spaced repetition": it tries to match your time of retention and ask you the name of each card (or anything else) when he calculates you are near to forgetting it, asking more often the items you forget quickly and rarely the well-known ones. The version 98 is free, and there is also some open source clone.
Hölderlin (Massimo Manca) - Circolo Amici della Magia - Turin - Italy.
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
I memorized aronson stack by rote... it's the same reason like cardguy24, I don't have any aronson's book. but I found that memorized deck is a great tool, and I decided to memorize it. I can memorize all 52 cards in one day, but it took me about 5-6seconds to know which number is the card or vice versa. it got better after a few weeks, I can now recall the cards in about 1-2seconds.
I practise like all of you did, that is shuffle the deck, pull out one card and name the number. or just spreading the cards face up (after shuffled) then name the number. or when I see a number everywhere, I try to recall the card... it works for me...
now I'm looking to buy Try The Impossible. is the book contain memorized deck effect?
thanks
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1479 Posts

Profile of Piers
The rote method works for me too ... and making flash cards.

Other methods look ok, but I guess it's what suits you.

Does anyone have a view on which of Simon Aronson;s books are the best, in relation to a memorised deck ?

Piers.
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2016!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
leftytheclown
View Profile
Loyal user
Illinois
255 Posts

Profile of leftytheclown
Simon Aronson had a Stack Memorization tool on his web site and Dennis Loomis has a number of essays and tips on learning and using the Aroson Stack. I learned from Aronson's book, A Stack to Remember and made flash cards as well. It took me some time, but I'm a slow learner. As motivation, I would look for a an effect you really want to do using a Mem Deck. Mike Close, Aronson, and Tamariz, and many others have a number of stunners to choose from.
Lefty (aka) Sterling Dare
Author: Money Menagerie
Book and DVD
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
Piers,
While you can't go wrong with any of Simon's Books, why not start at the "beginning" with Bound To Please? It tackle's Simon's stack in detail and explains all of the built in features. All of his books have some great effects with a memorized deck, but if you start here, you'll know what built in effects are there. For example, I don't normally do a bridge deal as part of my planned repertoire. But, it's nice to know that it's there and how to do it. (Very easy to learn and remember.) Then, if I happen to meet a bridge player while doing magic, I can do it especially for him.

Dennis Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Memorized deck by rote (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL