The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice For a Total Newbie (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Over the weekend I went on a sleepover trip with some of the members of my church. I did a few of my routines (all cards; I had to do them in a van with no table or pockets and cards were the only magic-related thing I had on me).

One of the kids I performed for was very interested in it. He told me that he had tried magic for a few weeks when he was younger, but he gave it up.

Turns out this kid (his name is Colin) went home and asked his parents for a few books on magic for Christmas. His father emailed my father asking for advice on what to get him. My father wants to know my opinion.

Problem is, I've been doing magic on and off with my father since I was about five or six. I became seriously interested in the October of 2001. The point is, I can barely even remember what it is like to be completely new to the scene (and I can barely remember what my life was like before I started magic seriously; it has become such a big part of me). I can't remember what it's like to come in and know NOTHING about anything (although I still consider myself a newbie). I suppose I could recommend a few things to him, but I'd still like your help.

So my question is this: What would you guys and gals recommend for a total newbie to magic? I mean anything: books, videos, connections with people involved in magic, websites, etc.

Colin is primarily interested in learning "the real stuff" (sleight of hand) with cards. Then again, he was extremely interested in the cups and balls set he saw in my suitcase (unfortunately, I didn't get to do my routine for him)...

Sorry for the long post, I just felt I should explain things as much as I could.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
Emily,
For a beginner, Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles would be a wonderful gift. Michael has simplified several of the routines using easier sleights. With this series, Colin would not only be learning great sleights but also excellent effects with cards.

When he's ready for Cup and Balls, again, Ammar's work with them is excellent.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
Royal Road for cards and Bobo for coins.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Emily,
Harry Lorayne's The Magic Book was originally written for laymen who had absolutely no background in magic.
"Total newbies", in other words.
It starts with how to shuffle a deck of cards; not false shuffles, just real shuffles, because many people don't know how to do that, even though we tend to take it for granted.
There is nothing in the book that requires specially bought magic props, or anything that looks like a magic prop!
It is a "must have" and ideal for the real beginner.
MrX
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles
139 Posts

Profile of MrX
I'm with Peter - Harry Lorayne's book started me in magic 24 years ago and I STILL use some of the routines!
Jeff Chesnut
View Profile
New user
Ada, Michigan
56 Posts

Profile of Jeff Chesnut
Mark Wilson's Complete Course of Magic is very good for beginners. He explains all kinds of effects, from coins to cards to spongeballs to large stage illusions. I highly recommend it.
dsnowmon
View Profile
New user
Ohio's North Coast
63 Posts

Profile of dsnowmon
I agree with Jeff Chesnut. Mark Wilson's book is great for beginners. It is full of useful information that he'll always be able to refer back on.

Regards,

dsnowmon
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I forget who wrote it, but there is a great book, "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Magic." I loaned it to my brother a couple years ago, thus can't remember the author.
I also have to second the Mark Wilson "Complete Course in Magic."
In any event, I would recommend that the newbie start out with a single book.
Magic is fun!!!
redlinewes
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of redlinewes
I also agree. Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic is where I started.
Vinnie Anderson
View Profile
New user
atlanta
84 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Anderson
Mark Wilson's book is what got me started in magic. It's a great book and Mark very clearly explains things with a great deal of illustrations.
Magicbarry
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
276 Posts

Profile of Magicbarry
All the above books are excellent. Royal Road and Modern Coin Magic are particularly good for beginners as there are relatively inexpensive editions of each available. But of course, for a broader range of knowledge, Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic should be looked at.

You mention that your friend was interested in cups and balls. If you're looking for an affordable video, 25 Amazing Tricks with Cups and Balls might fit the bill. It may not be the best video on the subject (and the production value is low), but it provides you with a basic routine and additional maneuvers that you can incorporate into your own routine.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Once again, there has been a lot of responses in less than a day! I love this place! Smile

I'm going to take MrX and Mr. Marucci's advice; I will recommend The Magic Book to Colin's dad. I own the Mark Wilson Complete Course in Magic, and I think it would be a good book for him a little later, when he is more serious. It will hopefully help develop his skill further.

After I posted, I looked through my books on magic to see what I remember getting started with. I came across a book entitled A Book of Magic for Young Magicians written by Allan Zola Kronzek. I remember using this
book when I was seriously getting into magic. It helped me learn some of the basic principles, and I think this would a good book for him as well.

So I'm going to recommend those two books to Colin's father, as well as a beginner's guide to magic I found on a website.

Thanks to everyone who gave advice and suggestions!

Oh, and one more thing: it feels great knowing that I am partly responsible for a new member (hopefully) to the magic community!
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
Vinnie Anderson
View Profile
New user
atlanta
84 Posts

Profile of Vinnie Anderson
I would say Mark Wilson or Harry Lorayne. I started with Mark Wilson and it has been invaluable to me for years. I still use it and refer to it often.

Vinnie
Smile Smile
Callin
View Profile
Regular user
Portland, Oregon
123 Posts

Profile of Callin
Unfortunately, Mark Wilson's book is currently hard to find. It is a great beginner's book, but it is being revised and won't be in print until next year at this time.

The sad news is that I gave my copy away figuring I would just order myself a replacement copy. Smile

Thanks,
Richard Green
Callin's House of Magic
The Pacific Northwest's Largest and Oldest Magic Shop. Established 1953.
Visit us at www.callinsmagic.com
Ask me about the New Jerry Andrus Movie
"A Thing of Wonder" is Available Now!
Victor Brisbin
View Profile
Elite user
Washington, DC / NOVA
432 Posts

Profile of Victor Brisbin
Quote:
On 2002-11-25 10:48, what wrote:
I forget who wrote it, but there is a great book, "The Complete Idiots Guide to Magic." I loaned it to my brother a couple of years ago, thus can't remember the author.
I also have to second the Mark Wilson "Complete Course in Magic".
In any event, I would recommend that the newbie start out with a single book.

The author of the "Complete Idiot's Guide To Magic" is Tom Ogden. Solid information, and more good advice on the business side of things than many advanced books have.
"It is better to practice a little than talk a lot." - Muso Kokushi
amshake
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of amshake
I would say Mark Wilsons's Complete Course in Magic and the Cyclopedia are GREAT, and honestly, Magic for Dummies is done in a way that would really help a layperson have fun right away!!! And if he wants to jump into sleights, try Now You See It, Now You Don't. Great book. I don't remember right off the author, but pm me if you want it!!
Magic Geek
The Londoner
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of The Londoner
Emily B,

I'm just curious what card routines you did.

B-bye,

John.
Micro-BIOS
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Micro-BIOS
Please don't forget Roberto Giobbi's Card College. It's an excellent and complete course on cards.
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
I agree with the recommedation of Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book". It's excellent. Be warned though, most of his others are advanced.
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

John, I did a simple reversed card revelation, an Ambitious Card Routine (ending with the pop-up card), and Vernon's "The Trick that Cannot Be Explained" from Vernon's Inner Card Trilogy.

I did not know that MWCCIM is currently hard to find! I got mine last January from amazon.com and then it seemed it was available almost everywhere.

I will definitely keep Card College in the back of my mind for Colin. Actually, I have yet to buy it, but I'm planning to soon (when I can get enough money saved up; I'm always broke after Christmas shopping).

I understand that most of Lorayne's other material is quite advanced; I'm looking forward to the day I'm ready for it!

Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!

Emily B.

-Robert Montgomery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice For a Total Newbie (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL