The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » One handed pass. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Gwhizz!
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Gwhizz!
Hello all, new to the site. Can anyone direct me to a previous topic that may have been posted regarding the "one handed pass," or relevant info. as you know the search function is down.
Many thanks,
Glen.
"Real Magic is beyond the conjurer's grasp"
Glen Leigh.
David Nelson
View Profile
Elite user
San Mateo, CA
404 Posts

Profile of David Nelson
Do you mean the Erdnase one handed pass? Vernon's one handed pass? The one handed pass that Richard Turner does based on the Erdnase one handed color change? The Ehlers shift? Or are you referring to one of the many other one handed hops and shifts out there?

You might find something in the gambling section or here in the cards section but I can't think of any discussion on this forum that has gone into much detail regarding one handed shifts.

Generally, somebody posts about something like that and then everybody chimes in with the name of a shift they've heard of or the name of a book or a DVD where they've seen a shift. This is usually followed by a post that asks "what's a shift?"

Sorry I can't be of more help but good luck in your search,

Dave
Gwhizz!
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Gwhizz!
Sorry I can't be any clearer Dave. I don't know to much about the one handed pass, but have heard of it. I am looking for a good alternate sleight using the one hand rather than a two handed pass. (ps thanks for the input Dave).
Many thanks,
Glen.
Glen Leigh.
Tom Wolf
View Profile
Special user
Harrison, Ohio
580 Posts

Profile of Tom Wolf
Quote:
On 2006-02-28 15:05, Gwhizz! wrote:
Sorry I can't be any clearer Dave. I don't know to much about the one handed pass, but have heard of it. I am looking for a good alternate sleight using the one hand rather than a two handed pass. (ps thanks for the input Dave).
Many thanks,
Glen.

Glenn,

Show your email address and I will send one to you.

Tom Wolf
The magic director and performer at the Rincon Gaucho supper club in Mexico City,

We opened the first and only close-up room for magic in Mexico with Wolf Ruvinskis.
have several new coin vanishes and routines to share shortly just as soon as I can find someone to film them for me.

Now living in Harrison, Ohio
Gwhizz!
View Profile
New user
UK
36 Posts

Profile of Gwhizz!
Thank you Tom. I have sent you a pm and edited my profile for email to show.
Many thanks for your interest,
Glen.
Glen Leigh.
Dean Noakes
View Profile
New user
Yorkshire, UK.
93 Posts

Profile of Dean Noakes
The Charlier cut, supposedly, can be used as a pass. Never done it myself; you'd no doubt need lots of misdirection and hand-cover.
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I actually perform a Tabled One Handed Pass taught from the Professor Dai Vernon in one of his revelations Dvd's o Vhs. I don't know how the pass is called but is great and very easy to perform once you get the mechanics down.

Best Regards From Argentina
PABLO
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2006-03-02 03:47, Dean Noakes wrote:
The Charlier cut, supposedly, can be used as a pass. Never done it myself; you'd no doubt need lots of misdirection and hand-cover.

Not as much as you'd think. I've used it a couple of times around the magic shop, back in the day, with "new" magicians as card pickers and it flew by...

Here's how:
Have a card taken and shown around while your back is turned.
Face front and raise the pack, dropping the lower half so the card can be returned on top of it. Pause, half way through the shift for the return of the card.

Make eye contact with the spectator who took the card and say "Please, Bob, remember the card, or we'll both look silly."
On the word "remember" drop you hand a bit then complete the shift as you raise the pack, and point (with the hand holding the pack) to your temple. You should be touching your temple by the word "card".

Kind of fun to work "old school", but I wouldn't use it for regular performances, as a control. It's a great thing to use a flourish though and if a laymen asks about it (and they will) it's something you can teach them without exposing any secrets.

A fun gag, that a friend of mine used one day while working Pike Place Market in Seattle. A spectator came up to him after the hat, and asked if he could "cut the deck with one hand?" He picked up his deck, cut it with two hands, and then did Charliers with both hands at the same time. Then shook his head sadly and said, "Nope. I have to use both hands.".

The guy went nuts. He thought that was the coolest thing he'd seen ever.
O
jgravelle
View Profile
Loyal user
Milwaukee (Head shown not actual size)
270 Posts

Profile of jgravelle
Soooo... how would this work if the spectator wasn't named "Bob"?

Regards,

-jjg
PMVIVA
View Profile
Elite user
Argentina
460 Posts

Profile of PMVIVA
I learnt a few years ago a nice way of doing a half pass bringing the card to the top using the charlier cut. I started as wsduncan for his pass using the charlier cut. But when the person or spectator inserted his card back, you go with your right hand to cover and square up but when your hand blocks the vision of the deck you start to perform a charlier cut until the bottom half of che deck reaches the left side of the top half and when it does, when both halves form like a inverted V you release your left forefinger and press with your left thumb and your left second, third and fourth fingers to square the deck. In that time your right hand has reached the deck to square up, bringing the deck back to the spectators view.

It should look as you leave the card in middle of the deck and then you just drop the top half back to loose the card in the middle as your right hand comes to square the deck.

Its a nice half pass that brings the selected card to the top and it can be done with one hand, while the other hand comes to rich the deck for a square up.

Best Regards From Argentina
PABLO
If you have an apple and I have an apple, when we exchange them we both have an apple. If I have an idea and you haven an idea, when we exchange them we both have two ideas.

Supporting the open source community.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Jgravelle, PM me and I'll send you a method for spectators named Jim or Tony (Tony needs a bit of a set up but is do-able).
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Quote:
On 2006-03-02 14:22, jgravelle wrote:
Soooo... how would this work if the spectator wasn't named "Bob"?

That's why it's not really practical as a control JJ.
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Off topic but perhaps of interest.
Use Pablo's method to control the card to the top and reverse the bottom half.
Do a coverpass as you openly cut the deck. This gives you a face up half in right hand Biddle grip (with a face down selection disguising the fact).
Flip the other half face up and faro.
Cut to center the selection
TRIUMPH!
Shane Wiker
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1199 Posts

Profile of Shane Wiker
JJG,

If his name's Criss, you can do it without pointing at your temple, and it will still work.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » One handed pass. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL