The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Guitar solos of all time (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Hello,

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Doyle Dykes yet!

The two best guitar solos around are:

1. Wabash Cannonball
2. (tie) U2 Medley
3. White Rose for Heidi

If you don't have them, get them!

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-08-26 15:55, Mike T wrote:
Don't think anybody's mentioned Frank Zappa, Johnny A or Jeff Healey yet
Any fans¿

I vote for Frank Zappa - "Muffin Man" live on "Bongo Fury" - his solo at the end BLISTERS. I don't know if it is the best solo ever, but it has always been one of my favorites.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
ptigue
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of ptigue
I gotta back Marvello on this one. At one point he's flying so fast it sounds like his fingers get tied. Classic tune.

"....Goodnight Austin, Texas wherever you are!"
Johnnie Blaze
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Johnnie Blaze
Lita Ford looks the best doing any solo
malmsteen rocks
stevie ray rocked
Jeff Healey RIP brilliant
Randy Bachman he could make that guitar talk
Satriani
just to name a few
John
also a not so very well known David Blaze Pine brilliant guitarist prior to his accident played with crosby stills nash and young, RIP Pine
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
"Crossroads" by Cream
"Samba Pa Ti" by Santana
"Laundromat" by Rory Gallagher
"Someday after a while" by Eric Clapton
"But there isn't a door"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
While van Halen's "Eruption" is technically brilliant, the piece itself is a bit lacking in musical interest (at least for me).

Both solos on "Comfortably Numb" are as nearly perfect as anything I can imagine. The first is desperate, and the second is frightened and angry. Beautiful playing by David Gilmour.

"I Could Have Lied" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers also contains two fabulous solos. Rhythmically challenging, and thematically very strong.

John

Day 6
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Duane Allman live at the Philmore, or any of the early Allman Brother albums he was the best guitar player that ever lived. There is a bridge in my home town that says on it in spray paint Duane Allman lives, and there is nothing else left to say.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Quote:
On 2008-03-06 17:28, Al Angello wrote:
Duane Allman live at the Philmore, or any of the early Allman Brother albums he was the best guitar player that ever lived. There is a bridge in my home town that says on it in spray paint Duane Allman lives, and there is nothing else left to say.

It's funny, I was just about to post my two favs. They are both Duane's and both from that album.

First, in Mountain Jam, at about the 30 minute mark, he launches into this incredible, sweet, sad solo--an almost heartbreaking riff on "Will The Circle Be Unbroken", that is just the most lovely thing I've ever heard. Then, they finish up this amazing 33 minute instrumental, he introduces the band, and then he walks off stage...for the last time ever...

The second is from Stormy Monday. He does this wonderful, long solo that has all these subtle microtonal bends in it. I spent my '30s in a totally fruitless attempt to learn to play guitar. (I was awful. I mean AWFUL.) I spent months trying to learn that solo, playing it off of tab and never could get it right. Never could come close. After I gave it up, I was having dinner with my then-girlfriend and some friends. That solo came on and I remarked that I had spent months trying to learn it, but never could, my girlfriend looked over at me with wide eyes and said "THAT was what you were trying to play?! You sucked!"

Dan
Day 6
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
You're ALL WRONG!!!!!

Ted Nugent---Great White Buffalo
Yola Sol
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
51 Posts

Profile of Yola Sol
Probably something by Chris Rea, although nearly everything mentioned before deserves at least a second place.
On the road of life, don't forget to stop and eat the roses
Rimbaud
View Profile
Loyal user
Saint Louis
291 Posts

Profile of Rimbaud
Quote:
On 2008-03-06 17:54, Big Jeff wrote:
You're ALL WRONG!!!!!

Ted Nugent---Great White Buffalo

It's funny, I saw Nugent open for Skynyrd a few years back (early 90's). Before he got more famous for his politics. He hadn't been in Saint Louis for ages. He comes out, and plays Stranglehold at about 180db and pretty much destroys the crowd.

Then, he stepped to the microphone and said his first words to the audience: "Admit it...you MISSED ME!"

It was a nice little rock and roll moment...

Dan
Day 6
http://www.DanLaddthehypnotist.com
"Saying 'Everyone is special' is just another way of saying 'No one is.'" --Dash from The Incredibles
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
916 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
I was just watching the Crossroads DVD from the 2007 concert and there is so much incredible guitar playing on there ...Eric Clapton,Stevie Winwood, Jeff Beck. B.B. King, Robert Cray..... and lots more.
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Rhapsody of Fire's "Thunder's Mighty Roar".
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
cardone
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of cardone
Rhapsody has many great solos......

what about Carl Logan from MANOWAR ....listen to "King of Kings " on their new album "Gods of War".....
hou_dini
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of hou_dini
It's interesting that some name musicians and some name songs. But I'd like to go with players and differentiate between electric and acoustic. Electric (in no particular order)-Hendrix, Clapton, Rory Gallagher, Sonny Landreth, Alvin Lee, Albert King, Lowell George, Martin Barre to name a few. Acoustic (again no specific order)-Ian Anderson, Cat Stevens, Leo Kottke, Keb'Mo, John Prine to name a few. There are myriad others but these pop readily to mind.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Ha, this is such a boys topic! Most of my favourites have been mentioned.

I'm putting another vote in for "Shine on you Crazy Diamond". It's just so beautiful.

Zappa was a good call by Marvello.

George
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
551 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
As an avid Nuge fan, let me respectfully add "Stranglehold" to the list.

It's a shame that over time his politics have overshadowed his musicianship and turned some against him. During the mid to late 70's no one was more captivating on stage than Nugent.

And 35 years later he can still bring it.
trickytrav
View Profile
Veteran user
391 Posts

Profile of trickytrav
All along the watchtower by Hendrix
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1469 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
I forgot to mention "Country Boy" by Albert Lee.
"But there isn't a door"
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Does Steve Winwood play the guitar? If you are old enough you might remember "the wood choppers ball" by Alvin Lee and ten years after, or Steve Mariott with Humble pie doing 30 days in the whole, and I did mourn the death of Lowell George, but all in all Duane Allman was the best who ever lived. IMHO
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Guitar solos of all time (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL