The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Guitar solos of all time (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2551 Posts

Profile of critter
Steve Vai was Macchio's intructor for the film, according to the book; "Heavy Metal Guitar."

Quote:
On 2006-04-10 20:25, prospero wrote:
Quote:
Steve Vai's solo ("played" by Ralph Macchio) from the movie Crossroads is inspiring.

Ralph Macchio's solo is Ry Cooder. Steve Vai is the other guy.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
TCsteinberg
View Profile
New user
NewYawk
51 Posts

Profile of TCsteinberg
Anything and EVERYTHING from THE MASTER.....
Ritchie Blackmore!

My 3 favorites;
Highway Star (Live Version, Made in Japan)
Child in Time (Studio version, In Rock)
Gates of Babylon (Long Live Rock & Roll)

many of the guitarists already mentioned (most notably Yngwie Malmsteen) are total Ritchie influenced, and credit him as the "Guitar G-d"
~ tc ::--.---( )
mamutrance
View Profile
New user
Ireland, living in London!
46 Posts

Profile of mamutrance
You have to put Slash up there, so many well thought out memorable rock solos.....

I have to strongly agree on the Zappa front, one of the most underated guitarists ever, listning to him and studying and transcribing his music almost ruined me socially!! Just try playing the Black Page #2....

If he were still alive, what would he make of things like the internet, and Obama? Smile
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Not sure if anyone will remember this, but in the 70's Roy Clark gusted on the show "The Odd Couple".

There's a final scene ( which gets cut out in re-runs ) of him sitting and doing a piece ( a Malagueńa ). It's the best solo I've ever seen/heard.

Here's it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWj5UqOTUzg
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Fresh
View Profile
Regular user
134 Posts

Profile of Fresh
Pink Floyd - Time (better than Comfortably Numb?)
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Pink Floyd - Sorrow
Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
Pink Floyd - Have a Cigar
Black Sabbath - A Bit of Finger / Sleeping Village / Warning (The 14 minute jam session from their first album. About half of it is amazing guitar).
Black Sabbath - Dirty Women

Shredding:
Megadeth - Hangar 18
Slayer - Captor of Sin
Kreator - People of the Lie
Malmsteen - Black Star
Malmsteen - You Don't Remember, I'll Never Forget (The song itself is incredibly cheesy, but the solo is pretty emotional).
Mercyful Fate - Evil

That covers my tastes well.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Jazz--How about Wes Montgomery on "Four on Six"?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mamutrance
View Profile
New user
Ireland, living in London!
46 Posts

Profile of mamutrance
It's quite a subjective topic, because genre and style is a big part of it. Generally people associate a best guitar solos discussion with rock music, but there's so much more out there!

Wes was one of the best players EVER, such a unique style for ther day, thumbing plenty of notes, and his use of octaves on solos was revolutionary, Four on Six is a great example of this. Id also put Charlie Christian, Bireli Lagrene, Django, and a host of others up there tho, and that's just in the jazz genre.

I just have trouble picking one great solo above the others from any of them.

Oh and loveed that Roy Clarke Clip BTW!
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Texas Flood. Stevie Ray
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of magicfish
The Thrill is Gone. BB King
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9005 Posts

Profile of funsway
I could offer an opinion -- for each type of guitar and musical genre, but the "of all time" throws me.

The responses all seem to be "of those recorded" which includes only a couple of decades, and of those who wished to be recorded.

I'd like to hear the guitar solo Blind Willie McTell performed to persuade the Governor to commute his murder conviction. Had to be "the best."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1824 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
There is a big difference between a live concert guitar solo (where all your mistakes are recorded), and soloing on a studio album (where you can do multiple takes and edit the best bits together). So my vote would be for Jorma Kaukonen's guitar solo with Jefferson Airplane on "The Other Side Of This Life" from their their live 1969 album, "Bless Its Pointed Little Head."

It's not the most technically gifted playing, but the spontaneous communication between Kaukonen, with Jack Cassidy on bass, Paul Kantner on rhythm guitar, and drummer Spencer Dryden is incredible. It just feels like the whole band is on the same wavelength. Which leads me to believe it must have been one of those moments when the right combination of drugs all kicked in at the same time.

I'll try to post a video here ... but if I don't succeed, here's a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltyjNjsz8UU

(youtube)ltyjNjsz8UU(/youtube)

Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Whoever played the solo on the Stones' Sympathy for the Devil created a thing of terrible beauty. It still gives me chills.

FWIW, I don't think any guitarist has truly made his guitar gently weep. Most make it scream or cry, but gentle weeping is a deep challenge. Those who make it wail miss the point of the song.

Clapton came close.

But perhaps the song works best with no solo playing.

arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1824 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Here's Frampton's version, from a PBS Soundstage show in 2007. The song starts at about 1 hr. 40 minutes. And yes, that's me on keyboards (plus guitar & vocals on other tracks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYaopKDAunc

Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
RogerTheShrubber
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of RogerTheShrubber
Gary Moore, "End of the World." Specifically, the solo that starts the song. Absolutely jaw-dropping.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17657 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think that Eddie Van Halen's ERUPTION changed the face of (pop) rock!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_lwocmL9dQ
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Again and again people say that no one ever changes their minds or learns anything in this forum.

Not true.

Arthur has taught me more about music than I can possibly repay.

Thanks, Arthur!

On another note: I am so cryptic in my posts sometimes that I can't even remember myself what I was thinking when posting. The link I gave above was too cryptic. Sorry.

On yet another note: start watching around the four minute mark:

On yet a third note: Arthur, why does Peter switch to the LP Custom for the version of Gently Weeps? Could you tell us a bit about his taste for which-guitar-which-song? And what about yourself? Which-guitar-which-keyboard-which-song?
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 21, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
Again and again people say that no one ever changes their minds or learns anything in this forum.

Not true.

Arthur has taught me more about music than I can possibly repay.

Thanks, Arthur!

On another note: I am so cryptic in my posts sometimes that I can't even remember myself what I was thinking when posting. The link I gave above was too cryptic. Sorry.

On yet another note: start watching around the four minute mark:

this should play now.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 19, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Here's Frampton's version, from a PBS Soundstage show in 2007. The song starts at about 1 hr. 40 minutes. And yes, that's me on keyboards (plus guitar & vocals on other tracks).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYaopKDAunc

I liked that. It's a nice take on the song. Still not gently weeping, but neither is it screaming its woes into the night sky.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3079 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I'm too stupid to post videos, but I'll try again.

Here's Phil, well-dressed ( Smile ) and playing naughty music:

Daryl -the other brother
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
594 Posts

Profile of Daryl -the other brother
Peter's version is nice but I miss the slide guitar. I think slide lends itself better to the feel of the song and without it, it's just another lead.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Best Guitar solos of all time (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL