The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to Introduce Mentalist's Coin for One Ahead Routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Greetings All,
I like the Dan Harlan version of the classic one-ahead effect (the triple prediction)on his video Ultimate Impromptu Magic, vol. 3. On the video its called "Pocket Change". In the first step, the force, which on the video performance is a "dime", is written on a slip of paper. Then the spectator is asked to take out all their pocket change. The dime, which is used among two other different coins for an equivoque at the final step, comes from the change the spectator takes out of their pocket for the first prediction.

Here is the problem...in the very beginning, "dime" is written on a paper. What if the spectator doesn't have a dime among the change in their pocket? Dan Harlan, on the video says, "We'll discuss at the end of the explanation how the magician can introduce his/her own dime" but it is never discussed. It would be a great back-up if the mentalist could introduce the dime at some point but wouldn't it be obvious to the spectator that something is fishy if the coin the magician introduces is the same one that the spectator "selects" with the equivoque and that ends up on the prediction?

I hope this makes sense but I think those familiar with the routine can likely follow what I'm talking about.

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Bob L.

P.S. I've emailed Mr. Harlan about this but have not received a response yet.
partyboy
View Profile
Regular user
Montréal, Québec
142 Posts

Profile of partyboy
What about writing your prediction after seeing what the spectator actually has in his pockets ? I don't think it would make that much of a difference to write the prediction at that moment.
"communicate your humanity, 'cause that's what we all are after all : human!"
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Noooo...
The idea is that the mentalist is going to write on the first paper the first prediction, which is the amount of change in the spectator's pocket.
The very first thing the mentalist does is write the force...in this case "dime" on a piece of paper.
Bob L.
Vanian
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA - Santa Fe, NM
154 Posts

Profile of Vanian
Another possibility is to have several people take out the change in their pokect... I've done this before where I've said "I want a couple of you to take out all the change from your pocket so we can get a good mix of different coins here" or something to that effect. Then, odds are, there has got to be a dime among the coins.
Caspar
View Profile
Veteran user
Tacoma
316 Posts

Profile of Caspar
Osterlind has a nice routine that may fit the bill. It is called Change of Mind and can be found on his Mind Series
Xiqual
View Profile
Inner circle
Upper left quadrant
4935 Posts

Profile of Xiqual
You can finger clip a dime and just add it to the pile as you are "looking" through it. Bold, but if you are casual it will fly by.
Still with the Chinese circus Smile
blpprt
View Profile
Regular user
South Carolina
122 Posts

Profile of blpprt
Hey Casper...
Coincidentally I ordered a copy of Osterlind's video that contains "Change of Mind" a few days ago and it should arrive any day.
Thanks!
Bob L.
actorscotty
View Profile
Veteran user
wilmington nc
398 Posts

Profile of actorscotty
Yup second(or is it third the osterlind routine as very good, and clever use of the prediction pad as well,
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How to Introduce Mentalist's Coin for One Ahead Routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL