The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Annotated Erdnase (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Hello- I had a quick question... I am interested in buying the annotated Erdnase book and I was wondering if
a)it is any good
b)How much is the cheapest one?
c)Where can I get it for the lowest price
If you have the answer to any of these questions, please respond back. You can also email me at crdshark86@yahoo.com. Thank you for your time. Smile
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
There are two annotated Experts, one is by Darwin Ortiz, the other by Dai Vernon.

The Ortiz is about $50.00 and is excellent.
The Vernon is about $500.00 and is also excellent, but a bit harder to find, and a lot more expensive.

You can't go wrong by looking at H & R Magic Books. I've found them to be excellent for selection, and value.

http://www.magicbookshop.com
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
I own Annotated but see very little value in it. I guess I am dumb and missing the point because I find nothing that is not in the original. Can someone help me with this? I
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
J Wessmiller
View Profile
Veteran user
VA
306 Posts

Profile of J Wessmiller
Annotated Erdnase is my favorite book- I think it's a must for someone interested in cheating technique. I'd suggest checking amazon and/or ebay for the lowest price.
Think you know Erdnase? Take my quiz

http://wessmiller.blogspot.com
J Hanes
View Profile
Veteran user
PDX, OR
317 Posts

Profile of J Hanes
I agree w/ Lucas.

What's wrong with the original?

Justin Hanes
RJ Hunt
View Profile
Elite user
Lakeland, FL
466 Posts

Profile of RJ Hunt
Anyone serious about cards and who is willing to dedicate the time SHOULD study E.S.Andrews and some of the other writings that cover his work. You see references to "Erdnase" in just about every advanced "Card Magic" book.

Good luck

RJ
Later & Out
ursusminor
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
443 Posts

Profile of ursusminor
Quote:
On 2006-03-01 01:02, Richard Lucas wrote:
I own Annotated but see very little value in it. I guess I am dumb and missing the point because I find nothing that is not in the original. Can someone help me with this? I

Ortiz' and/or Vernon's annotations are in the original????

Bjørn
"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them
pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."
- Winston Churchill"
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Profile of T. Joseph O'Malley
Quote:
On 2006-03-01 01:58, J Hanes wrote:
I agree w/ Lucas.

Justin Hanes

An annotation does not imply that there is anything wrong with the original. The annotation expands upon the original text with additional explanations, illustrations/explanations, historical facts, comparisons with other works, etc. If you like the original, there is no reason why you shouldn't benefit from and enjoy the annotation, as long as the annotator does a good job. I think we know Ortiz and Vernon's works well enough to know that they would clearly have something to add in their annotations. I have found both of the annotated versions mentioned above to be very interesting and helpful.
tjo'
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Quote:
I agree w/ Lucas.

Justin Hanes

An annotation does not imply that there is anything wrong with the original. The annotation expands upon the original text with additional explanations, illustrations/explanations, historical facts, comparisons with other works, etc. If you like the original, there is no reason why you shouldn't benefit from and enjoy the annotation, as long as the annotator does a good job. I think we know Ortiz and Vernon's works well enough to know that they would clearly have something to add in their annotations. I have found both of the annotated versions mentioned above to be very interesting and helpful.
tjo'
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Annotated volumes can represent great value if the annotations are made by the right people.

Dai Vernon spent almost his entire professional life examining every single aspect of "Expert at the Card Table", and what Erdnase was trying to get across.
This alone makes Vernon's annotations priceless. Vernon's annotations are those of a master, annotating another master.

Darwin Ortiz is a fantastic writer, and if you consider yourself an Erdnase fan, his observations are something that you will want to read.
Also, both books clarify some moves that are difficult to understand in the original, and also the Ortiz points out some of the technical errors in the original book.

The Vernon "Revelations" is probably only for the most serious of study, because it's price has climbed up near the $500.00 mark, but the Ortiz is a great investment, with the bonus that you have the entire text of the original book, Ortiz's annotations, and the book stays open when you set it down to practice the moves!

Both annotated volumes can be considered highly reccomended for those seeking further study of Erdnase and his book.
linhong
View Profile
New user
Seattle
74 Posts

Profile of linhong
$45 from the publisher (using paypal with free shipping):

http://www.mcmagicwords.com/

Excellent book no matter whether you have read the original erdnase book or not.
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
Quote:
I agree w/ Lucas.

Justin Hanes

There is nothing wrong with the original. But it is, after all, something like a hundred years old. You need to separate out the historic importance of the Erdnase with its value as a resource to learn technique. There have been a lot of improvements on Erdnase's work in the interim. Further, there are several errors in the original manuscript that make the original confusing. If you want to use the book as a source to learn technique, it is sensible to use an annotated version that includes the corrections, updates and improvements. Ortiz's manuscript fulfills that need exceptionally well.
manix
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of manix
But then again if you have a love for the art and don`t want to be spoon fed, maybe you could REALLY study the original and realize the errors/difficulties/greatness for yourself.

Often, the process of asking the question is more important than being given the answer.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-03-02 04:35, manix wrote:
But then again if you have a love for the art and don`t want to be spoon fed, maybe you could REALLY study the original and realize the errors/difficulties/greatness for yourself.

Often, the process of asking the question is more important than being given the answer.

Or - you could accept that there are those out there who have devoted their lives to studying this stuff, and that you can also learn from their opinions, research and experience on a particular subject.

There is this weird macho attitude that I don't understand on threads regarding annotations. It's almost as if people view the reading of annotated editions of Erdnase as a sign of weakness. That is ridiculous.

There's no spoon feeding going on in this book, I assure you. Most of you who are criticizing it possibly have not read it. The material contained within is fascinating and useful, and only serves to enhance your knowledge of the original text.

And one more thing - even with an annotated version - you STILL have to read and understand the original text. The annotations themselves generally don't make a lot of sense if you don't comprehend the original text.
tjo'
manix
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of manix
I was neither criticizing the annotated versions nor saying that their contents isn`t fascinating or useful.

Just offering an alternative opinion that the path of least resistence is not always the most fulfilling.

There is nothing "rediculous" about suggesting that a comprehensive and passionate study of the original, before exploring the analysis of somebody else, might yield a more satisfying and profound understanding of the concepts presented.

It just depends who you are, what you are doing and where you want to go.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-03-02 08:52, manix wrote:

There is nothing "rediculous" about suggesting that a comprehensive and passionate study of the original, before exploring the analysis of somebody else, might yield a more satisfying and profound understanding of the concepts presented.

Absolutely true. But - this was not what you said up above in your previous post. I agree with this statement entirely - study a work yourself first, and then take a look at the ideas that others have on the subject.
tjo'
manix
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of manix
This is precisely what I said in my first message, discover the intricacies for yourself Smile
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Annotation of a book implies preparing the text for study, and actually encourages personal discovery.
manix
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of manix
Yes, if they are your own annotations.
T. Joseph O'Malley
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1937 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-03-02 10:18, manix wrote:
This is precisely what I said in my first message, discover the intricacies for yourself Smile

Right - but can I guarantee you that someone who has read the annotations mentioned will know stuff about the techniques, history of the book, philosophy etc that you'll likely never know if you don't take a look at some of the research done by people like Ortiz, Vernon, etc. That doesn't lessen your own private study any at all, by all means, study away. It's just that other people will notice things that you or I would miss, and will have insights into things that you or I might not - not withstanding the fact that these men have devoted their lives to this stuff and have much knowledge to impart.

If you truly enjoy this book, you do yourself a disservice by viewing external research negatively and making blanket judgements regarding such studies.

To borrow a quote from the man himself, "The finished card expert considers nothing too trivial that in any way contributes to his success." (Sorry Paul I stole your signature quote).
tjo'
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Annotated Erdnase (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL