The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What are your limits? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Profile of petethecreeper
I'm just curious....

How far do you go during your Bizarre act? What won't you do? How frightening do you make things for your audience?
Dark illusionist
View Profile
Loyal user
pough town new york
253 Posts

Profile of Dark illusionist
It never bothers me when people scream Smile --in fact, those are the ones that I pull up as a volunteer later in the show. They always seem to have enjoyed the show even though the needle through arm looked so real or the razor blades made them uncomfortable Smile
Check out my brand new website:

www.ovationmagic.cjb.net

if you like it sign the guest book, if you realy like it then realy sign the guest book. If you hate it then go away.
Peelz
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Peelz
Iv gone as far as bleeding on the spec. (only with close friends, and fake blood)
Smile
eize
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of eize
I stop when the spectators' faces prove to me that they are not enjoying the act anymore.
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
Quote:
On 2002-11-29 20:09, eize wrote:
i stop when the spectator´s faces probe me that are not enjoyning the act anymore.

1. Isn't that too far then?

2. If it is bad enough, perhaps the spekkie can have such an act "enjoined"--assuming a court would hear such a motion on an expedited basis and irreparable harm could be shown Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
First of all, bizarre magic does NOT have to be frightening.
I was asked if comedy would fit in bizarre; as a response I came up with the routines Vampire Bat and Lord Of The Rings (Marucci's Bizarre Bazaar, in the e-zine Visions: http://www.online-visions.com).
Our job is to move and/or entertain the audience.
It's not a case of limits; it's a case of common sense!
Smile
tiptophat
View Profile
Loyal user
Wesley
269 Posts

Profile of tiptophat
Depends entirely on your audience and its size as well. Sometime I push the envelope if thats the type of group I am performing for and at other times more storytelling.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
I agree tiptophat.

There are so many variables to consider, and it does pay to be flexible with each audience, reading them well. But no matter what we do, I think it's paramount to play safely.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
Many people enjoy being frightened so long as they know that they are not in any real danger. Good judgement and good taste should be the governing parameters.

Sid
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
samthemagical
View Profile
New user
Grand Rapids, MI
90 Posts

Profile of samthemagical
As Mr. Marucci says, bizarre magick isn't about *frightening* people, or being gory, or even being devilish. It is a genre of magic almost like Dadaism in art: its goal is to evoke a response in the watcher. As long as the people in front of you are involved, emoting, (and not calling 911) you can know you're on the right track.
Bizarre is, like most forms of magic, about telling a story. One just goes about it in a way that is blunt, and, well, Bizarre!
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
831 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
It's all about the audience.

If I am performing at a haunted attraction or dark theatre, people expect to be scared, and I will really push the limits. Doing the same routine in someone's living room might cause deep emotional scaring for years to come. Point is, you really need to use common sense and be sensitive to the situation.

And no, bizarre magic does not have to be frightening, but it often is. I love to scare people, that is why I have been in the haunted attraction industry for so long and what attracted me to bizarre magic in the first place.

On the other hand, I consider what I do as children’s magic to be bizarre as well. I love to illustrate fairy tails and such with magic. Point is, bizarre is what you make it.

Just my two cents worth,

Dave
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
Bizarre can be both slightly disgusting and funny at the same time. Consider "The Wrath of Renfield" as done by Docc Hilford. (From an idea of Paul Britt's; and directed by Michael Blum.) It is really the 4-bean trick, but done with (plastic) flies. After wetting each one in his mouth, he pokes them into his ears and nose. All during this, he loses the ability to hear and speak clearly because there are flies in his nose and ears.

The routine was published in The New Invocation, and I have been known to do it on occasions.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
petethecreeper
View Profile
New user
N. California
73 Posts

Profile of petethecreeper
"samthemagical" makes a really good point...in that Bizarre is like Dadaism in art...especially since Dadaism was a rebellion from the standard conventions of the art world at the time. I seem to pick up this vibe that many who are into Bizarre, although they respect it, tend to view "conventional" magic as just that...conventional. Smile

By the way...I feel I should apologize for limiting my initial query to one example of limits "frightening". It was just one example, and I totally agree with those of you (Pete especially) who state that Bizarre should not just be frightening.

As an interesting note/observation...I have found that there are limits in provoking thoughts and emotions in an audience. Some people (who I won't, out of deepest respect, refer to as ignorant...let's just say their world view is more finely focused than others), I have noticed, can find themselves pushed to their limits when confronted with a an event that they cannot explain fully. It's the very essence of superstition.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » What are your limits? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL