The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help Needed With Peanut Butter & Jelly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Fineous
View Profile
New user
Ohio
18 Posts

Profile of Fineous
Hey Guys,

I use the great Peanut Butter & Jelly in my kid's show and it gets great reactions. I have been doing it with the same set for about 2 years now. The problem lies in the soft plastic "covers." They are getting "tacky" and are beginning to stick to each other. If you own the trixk, you will know that it is important that the lids and the gimmicks slide upon each other smoothly. I have actually had a reveal occur at a show a few weeks back because of this darn stickiness.

So what can I use to "powder" or make this soft plastic more dry or smooth? I know doll collectors use baking powder on the flesh of dolls to keep them plyable, but I do not know if this is good for the plastic of this trick. It seems this plastic is very sensitive to liquid cleaners. PB&J is a bit too expensive to buy it new every time the plastic gets tacky.

Please let me know how I can get this great trick back to its "new" condition.

Professor Fineous
Visit my web site at:
http://www.jppohio.net
rickmorse
View Profile
Regular user
Flushing, MI
131 Posts

Profile of rickmorse
This is sheer guesswork on my part, but you MIGHT try dusting the insides of the covers with baby powder. Let it set overnight, then gently brush out the excess.

Again, this is off the top of my head--I've not done it.

Good luck!
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
227 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
I use the auto cleaner Armor-All.
Owen Anderson
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I also use the auto cleaner Armor-All. (Oily is better than sticky.)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
I have used baby powder on my covers, and it worked pretty well. But I do like the Armor-All idea very much. I am going to try that out!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Depending upon when you bought your P,B & J (hopefully you have the original Tim Wenk/Metimpirical Magic version and not a knockoff), one of my instruction sheets tell you some very detailed hints about how to and NOT to store and transport the covers. My later instructions don't have these comments. My first set suffered from "shrinkage" in the covers for some reason (I got 'em used), but my latest set is holding up fine. I'd try the Armor-All.

Steve
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Professor Fineous:
As an aside, how do you protect yourself from the risk of peanut sensitivity?

Bob
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Just my 2-cents. But I use non-stick cooking spray and that works very well for me. I take the spray to the show and just before the show starts I spray the insides and it works great. I have also heard that you can use WD-40 but I have yet to try this.
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
To keep away from peanut allergies...(firstly, why is everybody SUDDENLY allergic to peanuts? I'm 43, and if all these people had suffered from this when I was a kid, we would've starved!)...don't do the sandwich part of the routine, or IF you do it, which I have...I eat the sandwich to conclude the performance. Then be sure to not breathe on any child who could be allergic to you and your new-found peanut butter breath.

Steve
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
No kidding. It seems some folks are concerned that a kid in the audience who has a severe allergy to peanuts will suddenly leap up, rush the magician, wrestle the peanut butter sandwich from his hands, eat it, then drop dead.
Steve V
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3181 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
To solve Stevethomas's problem of "peanut breath," you can always spray WD40 into your mouth after consuming the sandwich.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Quote:
On 2006-03-03 13:50, jimgerrish wrote:
To solve Stevethomas's problem of "peanut breath," you can always spray WD40 into your mouth after consuming the sandwich.

And to solve the problem of the peanut putter sticking to the roof of your mouth, simply sprinkle some baby powder on the sandwich before taking a bite.
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Steve,

You forgot the most important part of that scenario, after wrestling the sandwich out of your hands, consuming it and dying...they they SUE YA!

Steve
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2006-03-03 13:44, Steve V wrote:
No kidding. It seems some folks are concerned that a kid in the audience who has a severe allergy to peanuts will suddenly leap up, rush the magician, wrestle the peanut butter sandwich from his hands, eat it, then drop dead.
Steve V

As hard as it may seem for you to believe, a child does not have to EAT the PB to get sick or die.

Peanut allergy is probably the most common cause of death by food anaphylaxis in the United States.

People can have severe reactions just by inhaling the odor or fragrance of peanuts. Allergists agree people with peanut allergy can die after ingesting or inhaling minute amounts of peanuts or peanut products.

Bob
interstate_dj
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of interstate_dj
I also have used baby powder to dust the covers and it works well. I will try the armor-all however.
Jerry Pierce
Owner/Entertainer
Magic Message
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Wellington (Bob Johnson): Can you post your source for this information?

The sources I see, like http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/peanut.html make no such claims.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi,

The rise in peanut allergies is a serious concern to health professionals all over the world, in fact it's more than doubled in the years from 1997 to 2002. This is not meant to bash anyone using a particular effect like PB and Jelly but to warn about the potential dangers of using this. In my school district, schools have warning signs on the doors alerting people and some are peanut free schools if one of the children has an allergy.

I've said it many times but it is that serious - the smell, an accidental touching of someone whom has an allergy if one has just eaten a sandwich and has some residue on their hands can cause a severe anaphaltic shock. Even touching an inate object like a desk that contained a PB sandwich can cause it to happen. Unlike most other food allergies, PB to some children can be fatal.

It may have been the stuff that all of us ate as kids but for some unknown reason -the rise in food and other allergies has been on the increase for the past 20 years.Please read a short news clip from MSN which I've posted below. It's really nothing to make fun of for those of us always warning about the dangers. It's taken seriously enough that recently a mass majority of schools in the US and Canada have banned the product as well as five major airlines no longer serve nuts. Unlike other food products which people have allergies to..those with peanut allergies can go into full blown shock without having eaten the product themselves but just being in close proximity.

http://www.drpaul.com/library/08SEP2000.html

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/condition......lergies/
or this one:
http://www.allergyasthma.on.ca/peanut1.htm

Chrystal
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Oh the joys of over reaction. Did some of you bother to read and then, lordy help us, comprehend what they were communicating? One was particularly hard core anti peanut. If you do not pulverize a peanut and thus send peanut death clouds at the children, smear them with peanut butter, kiss them in a manner which would cause them to get peanut butter out of your mouth, or feed them something with peanuts or peanut products in them they should be perfectly fine and survive until they kill themselves in their late teens. I know, some of you are saying to yourself, "No, Chrystal said they just have to be in close proximity! That means we should ban the use of peanuts worldwide and save the children!". It is true that if you are around someone handling peanuts that are from the shell the act of breaking and eating them can cause there to be the evil peanut cloud of death. Peanut butter, as is found in a peanut butter sandwich, is moist. Check it for yourself, see how it is moist? This moisture prohibites the evil cloud of death. Moisture is often used to contain dust particles. If you were to take an oyster and dry it then crush it the dust produced would effect one allergic to shell fish.

The real question is while you are rolling the peanut allergy ridden child around in peanut butter should you take precautions to make sure they don't touch the other items used in the routine should their eventual doom be complicated by a latex or simular allergy? What I found interesting was the belief that the cause of these allergies may be the anti germ fanatics who are not allowing certain tolerances to build up. I also get the sense that some of you don't even want the poor peanut child to even see a container that never contained peanut butter but looks like it could have because even the visual allergy would be too much for the waifs.
Steve V
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2687 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
At my daycare center, we did stop cooking meals using peanut oil in the deep fryer, because we do have one child that can’t have peanut products. But we still have peanut butter sandwiches, and peanut butter cookies. The ones that can’t have them get something else.

Some are allergy to cheese products, some to fish, some to juice, etc, etc. If we started dropping products or changed our menu to fit all, be hard to serve them meals.

The odds are about the same that the child will die from the P&B trick, and getting choked on your magic wand.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help Needed With Peanut Butter & Jelly (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.26 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL