The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help Needed With Peanut Butter & Jelly (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2667 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
I don’t see it as being copyright infringement if you are just using the product in a trick. But like Steve said, when you put two different brands side by side and start talking, it’s a different story.

It’s also a good idea to be careful how you warn folks about the dangers of Peter Pan peanut butter or Jiff. You can’t single out one brand.

Tom
Do What Others Do And You Will Become Average

The Daycare Magician Book
www.amazekids.com/magic-downloads/childrens-magic-ebooks/the-daycare-magician/

Tom Boleware
www.tomboleware.com
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Steve V:
You are mixing up two different things. You could use a Coke or Pepsi in PB&J without any concern about copyright.

Bob
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Quote:
On 2006-03-06 18:58, Jim Poor wrote:
Doesn't PB&J use the Peter Pan peanut butter jar?

Different manufacturers of PB&J have used different labels. I have seen at least four our there.

Bob
Dave Lewis
View Profile
New user
Anaheim, California
83 Posts

Profile of Dave Lewis
Let me see if I get this:

- Baby powder, Baking Powder, Corn Starch and Cruex®, when mixed with Armor All® brand leather, vinyl & rubber protectant, will prevent the vinyl covers used in the Peanut Butter & Jelly trick from sticking to the fake vinyl & polyvinylchloride peanut butter jars, (with fake, non-specific labels that do not identify a brand)preventing unwanted flashes or reveals of the workings of the trick.

- Upon seeing the fake peanut butter jars, parents, teachers, children and anyone else who is now allergic to peanuts, thinks they might be allergic to peanuts, or knows someone who is allergic to peanuts, will become immediately concerned, distressed or panic stricken.

- Some magicians have stopped doing the trick in order to avoid potentially alarming their audience members and their lawyers.

- Alternative props were suggested, only to fuel another off-topic discussion about branding, suggesting that Formica, Kleenex, Kotex, Band-Aid, etc. have lost the ownership of their own names because they have become such household names.

- This topic went from a question about sticking covers to arguments about the validity of food allergies.

Did I miss anything?
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Nope, that about covers it. Basically the world is full of wussies.
Steve V
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Apologies to Rick as it does appear that his post was hijacked.

Wellington and I were trying to caution those using the effect about the potential danger of PB and Jelly to those kids that have allergies. Kinda like a public service announcement to those that may have not known about how serious this type of allergy can be. As a teacher and the schools first aid person I've personally had to administer the epi pen twice within the last year. Yes, it was accidental exposure to PB.

Not once did we say you stop using the effect, although personally I wouldn't perform it at a birthday party in such close proximity to the kids, just please be aware of how serious it can be to a child that has this allergy. You'll have aprox 3 mins.

Chrystal
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Then make it clear that the problem is if the allergic child INGESTS, or eats for you dvd learners, peanuts or peanut butter there can be a reaction ranging from a rash to severe. Most don't go into severe.

SMELLING peanut butter will NOT cause a reaction as the oder does not contain peanut protein. SEEING peanut butter will NOT cause a reaction. If the kid rushes you and rolls in peanut butter the best way to resolve any rash that might occur is to...get ready...wash it off.

This comes from The Peanut Allergy Book by Dr. Michael Young (Harvard and Yale) as well as research done at Mt. Sinai Medical Center.

So do your freakin' PB & J, stop whining, and don't force feed a peanut butter sandwich to a kid who is allergic to it, in fact, don't feed it to any kid at a party. Dang, this will come up again in a couple months and the 'oh the poor peanut challenged might eat the sandwich!' crowd will return.
Steve V
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 11:58, Steve V wrote:
Then make it clear that the problem is if the allergic child INGESTS, or eats for you dvd learners, peanuts or peanut butter there can be a reaction ranging from a rash to severe. Most don't go into severe.

SMELLING peanut butter will NOT cause a reaction as the oder does not contain peanut protein. SEEING peanut butter will NOT cause a reaction. If the kid rushes you and rolls in peanut butter the best way to resolve any rash that might occur is to...get ready...wash it off.

This comes from The Peanut Allergy Book by Dr. Michael Young (Harvard and Yale) as well as research done at Mt. Sinai Medical Center.

So do your freakin' PB & J, stop whining, and don't force feed a peanut butter sandwich to a kid who is allergic to it, in fact, don't feed it to any kid at a party. Dang, this will come up again in a couple months and the 'oh the poor peanut challenged might eat the sandwich!' crowd will return.
Steve V

It's not the kids who are the root of the problem. It's the overprotective, panic-stricken parents and teachers (who DO seem to think that just looking at a fake jar that resembles peanut butter will result in children dropping dead where they stand). Smile
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
http://www.magicnook.com/magicbob
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
You are right about the wacky parents and teachers. I say we feed all of the parents and teachers peanut butter and hope for odds to kick in.
Steve V
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
And just how is it that in the last 5-10 years... EVERYONE has peanut allergies, ADHD, etc. when it was almost unheard of 20 years ago????
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
ADHD was popular as were the other initials. The actual problem for most of the cases was LOP, this stands for Lack Of Parenting. I spoke with the gal who runs our counties special education department and she told me the parents who use to diagnose ADHD etc (with their expert parenting skills) now are calling her claiming their kids are autistic. Unfortunately that takes away from the much fewer kids that are. It is also wonderful for parents to have kids that are allergic to things. Kid eats a peanut butter sandwich, goes outside and eats a snail, throws up....viola he must be allergic to peanuts.
Steve V
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-03-08 12:10, Steve V wrote:
The actual problem for most of the cases was LOP, this stands for Lack Of Parenting.

:rotf:
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Sounds to me like another proof of Darrow's Third Law of the Universe - The only Element More Common Than Hydrogen is Stupidity.

I am deadly allergic to certain kinds of hot peppers - jalapenos and chinese fire peppers for certain, but, over the years, as I have gotten older, the allergy has lessened, as allergies are wont to do.

Someone needs to hit these overprotective people with a CLUEs Missive!

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
Humidity will cause the covers to stick. Move to a dryer climate and only perform in airconditioned areas. Smile
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Good advice Joe, also works for TB.

Lee, most peanut allergies (and other allergies) lessen by the age of six. Strangest thing I ever saw relating to allergies was my best friend who always suffered severly from hay fever, allergies to pollen. He had to get shots every year it was so bad. He developed cancer and prior to dying went through a couple heavy pollen seasons and he said that for some reason his system shut off the allergies when he got sick.
Steve V
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-03-09 15:46, joe.bacchus wrote:
Humidity will cause the covers to stick. Move to a dryer climate and only perform in airconditioned areas. Smile

A reply that's on-topic???? What's the meaning of this??? Smile
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Do you think a dry climate and air conditioning would help to spread the Peanut Cloud of Death? I heard that the Taliban was trying to find a way of spreading goober dust in subways.
Steve V
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-03-09 19:35, Steve V wrote:
Do you think a dry climate and air conditioning would help to spread the Peanut Cloud of Death? I heard that the Taliban was trying to find a way of spreading goober dust in subways.
Steve V

No, you've got it all wrong... why go to the trouble of developing a delivery sytem for toxic peanut dust when they just need to show the kids a PICTURE of a tan jar that resembles peanut butter and they will start dropping like flies! Smile
B. Robert Pulver

Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
True...visual terrorist. I am gonna get a PB and J though.
Steve V
Fineous
View Profile
New user
Ohio
18 Posts

Profile of Fineous
Ummm, I don't know quite what to say. I thank everyone for replying to my post. I just wanted a "technical" question answered. This was my first question to this forum. Do all questions develop into moral and medical dissertations?

BTW - The Armoral seems to work the best with no mess. Thanks.

One more thing - I have performed PB&J more than 200+ times and no one has EVER even came close to mentioning allergies.

Thanks again,

Fineous
Visit my web site at:
http://www.jppohio.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Help Needed With Peanut Butter & Jelly (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL