The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic shop upstate NY (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Does anybody know/use a brick and mortar shop north of Manhattan, I live in the Hudson Valley and have not find any ...so far I bought magic through internet stores.

thanks ... Pablo
vinzo7217
View Profile
New user
utica, ny
11 Posts

Profile of vinzo7217
There isn't one....You either need to make a run into manhatten or go online to order...sorry...unfortunate that, a state as large as upstate, ny has no magic shops in it, especially since theres a great number of magicians here. Smile
imfletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
260 Posts

Profile of imfletcher
What are the major shops in manhatten, I know of tannens and ronjo in port jefferson long island. What are the names of the others?
jtcavataio
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of jtcavataio
Same for Syracuse - nothing here.

Vinzo - what do you do for cards out Utica way?
vinzo7217
View Profile
New user
utica, ny
11 Posts

Profile of vinzo7217
I make my own cards if need be.....pm me and I can give you methods for card splitting, to make db, df, and blanks.
Magic Enhancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Robert Haas
1805 Posts

Profile of Magic Enhancer
I live in NYC. Tannens and Ronjo are the only ones. If you call Tannens a magic shop...lol. It is sad but it's true. We need a really good store in the city.

Haas
Robert Haas
Magic Enhancer
Quality magic products for the working professional.
www.MagicEnhancer.com
vinzo7217
View Profile
New user
utica, ny
11 Posts

Profile of vinzo7217
Fletcher,

try abracadabra's at 19 W. 21 st.
halloween adventure at 104 4th ave.
tannens is also on 45 W. 34th st. incidentally, on 4/19 boris wild will be there.

that should get you started. hope this helped Smile

vinzo
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
Quote:
On 2006-03-03 09:42, KobiHasOneEye wrote:
If you call Tannens a magic shop...lol. It is sad but it's true. We need a really good store in the city.

What's wrong with Tannen's? I've never had any problems with them.

Also, Fantasma will be opening a store in NYC soon, so that will be worth checking out.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
One more thing, out on Long Island, there's "The Magic Shop" in Hicksville.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
iwillfoolu
View Profile
Special user
Upstate NY, USA
746 Posts

Profile of iwillfoolu
There is a shop in Albany, NY called The Costumer. They have a moderate selection of basic tricks and small illusionettes. Trick decks, Packet tricks, gaffed coins, rope tricks (and colored rope by the foot), dove vanishing boxes, rabbit production boxes, D lites, TTips, Silks, Wands, Metal Cups and Balls & more. They are by no means as big as Tannen's as far as selection but they are local and you can get the basics (No Flash products though) They are located on Central Ave. between Albany and Schenectady. Check the address before you go thought as they moved about a year ago. Phone (518) 464-9031

Also there is a place in Hudson Falls (where?) Hudson Falls is East of Glens Falls. It called The Village Booksmith. There is a little nook in the back with basic stuff like The Costumer. Not as much, but if you are in the North Country it's about 1 hour closer than Albany. Make sure to ask about the magic as most people think it is only a book store.
Both shops have been around for a long time. Tell 'em Joe sent ya'
Joe
Magician and Balloon Twister
New York Magicians
Magician New York
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1328 Posts

Profile of weapon
Rogues magic and funshop
85-08 queens blvd
1718 505 0316
http://www.roguefunshop.com
queens newyork... the best magic shop in NEW YORK...

plus you can cath me
hanging out the yea!!!
and they domagic shows every saturday..what more can you ask
for!
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Hi iwillfoolu. I,too, am near Saratoga.

Cliff from the Village Booksmith in Hudson Falls is actually a friend and a great guy to deal with. He does carry quite a bit packed away in all those cabinets in the back~
His book (magic) selection is outstanding and is his main forte. If anyone is in the area it is well-worth stopping in.

Tell him Bryn Reynolds sent ya....

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
The Village Booksmith is a cool place... it's like the magic room is a little secret hidden away at the back of an otherwise respectable book shop. Smile Not quite Diagon Alley, but what the heck. From what I remember, it was packed to the rafters with good books, including some of the old classics.

Hey, Bryn, is a Welcome Back Home in order, or have you been back for a while?
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2280 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Hi George.

Thanks! I got back home the end of Dec. I haven't been posting as much as a couple of mentalism projects of mine have taken off for me and have kept me quite busy.

Yes, Certainly has a great selection of magic books and I have purchased many from him over the years. It truly kind of is the "secret-shop-within-the-shop."

Bryn
Bryn D. Reynolds, Author of:
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls" Mentalism ebooks - PM any interest.
My artwork: https://darkmountainarts.com
liljay510
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
101 Posts

Profile of liljay510
Fantasma Magic
just opened up and David roth is the liason for a few months...

33rd and 7th ave on the second floor....right across from the garden
No matter How much you know you can never stop learning.
ThorstenHappel
View Profile
Loyal user
Düsseldorf / New York, NY
203 Posts

Profile of ThorstenHappel
Quote:
On 2006-05-09 09:02, liljay510 wrote:
Fantasma Magic
just opened up and David roth is the liason for a few months...

33rd and 7th ave on the second floor....right across from the garden

Hello liljay510,

Thanks for your post about David Roth being a "liason for a few months". Just wondering who told you that David will be there for a limited time.

I am the General Manager of the new Fantasma Magic store in Manhattan, and I can tell you that David is a full time member of our great staff for a long time to come, not just a few months. We honor David's busy performing and lecture schedule and give him all the flexibility he needs. He is our "resident guru" - as I like to call him - 5 days a week.

So, next time you want to chat to one of the best coin and close-up magicians around make sure you stop by the store (Fantasma Magic, 421 7th Avenue, 2nd Floor, Entrance on 33rd Street, right across from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden, 212-244-3633).

Hope to see you there. Make sure to say Hi.

Thorsten
Thorsten
-----------------------------------------

"If this be magic, let it be an art ..."
-- William Shakespeare, The Winter's Tale, Act 5, Scene 3
joshua the magician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of joshua the magician
Quote:
On 2006-03-03 12:23, iwillfoolu wrote:
There is a shop in Albany, NY called The Costumer. They have a moderate selection of basic tricks and small illusionettes. Trick decks, Packet tricks, gaffed coins, rope tricks (and colored rope by the foot), dove vanishing boxes, rabbit production boxes, D lites, TTips, Silks, Wands, Metal Cups and Balls & more. They are by no means as big as Tannen's as far as selection but they are local and you can get the basics (No Flash products though) They are located on Central Ave. between Albany and Schenectady. Check the address before you go thought as they moved about a year ago. Phone (518) 464-9031

Also there is a place in Hudson Falls (where?) Hudson Falls is East of Glens Falls. It called The Village Booksmith. There is a little nook in the back with basic stuff like The Costumer. Not as much, but if you are in the North Country it's about 1 hour closer than Albany. Make sure to ask about the magic as most people think it is only a book store.
Both shops have been around for a long time. Tell 'em Joe sent ya'
Joe

I think the costumer isn't at all as good as tannens, but they also have a magician working behind the counter, so it is good for local buying.
magicly,
joshua
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Woodbury Common has a store that sells magic. Not a big selection, some standard items. Also some stuff behind the counter. The owner can order stuff for you, too.

The World of Fun is the name.
-Matt
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
It's been a few years since the last posting in this thread. Wondering what magic shops are still around to hit up while staying off Broadway, New York? From L.A. and not familiar with the Big Apple. Will be there for the next week. Not sure what spots are still open, and which are closed. Need guidance....
Posting ever so slightly.
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1624 Posts

Profile of bugjack
The main ones are Tannen's and Fantasma -- just a few blocks from each other. You can do both in an afternoon.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic shop upstate NY (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL