The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic shop upstate NY (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Tannen's is just a storeroom. Fantasma's looks like a magic shop. Mark Balay is on of the funniest, best demo-ers you'll ever see.
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
Quote:
On 2013-03-23 16:46, bugjack wrote:
The main ones are Tannen's and Fantasma -- just a few blocks from each other. You can do both in an afternoon.

Thanks for that! Will be checking both out this week!
Posting ever so slightly.
Silver Glove Magic
View Profile
Veteran user
Magic... coast to coast, here's to another...
334 Posts

Profile of Silver Glove Magic
Quote:
On 2013-03-24 21:27, Zombie Magic wrote:
Tannen's is just a storeroom. Fantasma's looks like a magic shop. Mark Balay is on of the funniest, best demo-ers you'll ever see.

My dear pal Zombie, always great to hear you're feedback. Thanks buddy!
Posting ever so slightly.
trueinventor
View Profile
Loyal user
Lynchburg Va
217 Posts

Profile of trueinventor
Hi guys, I noticed Zombie's comment about Fantasma and Magick Balay.

Last year I fulfilled a childhood dream and walked into a Magic shop for the first time in my life: FANTASMA across from Madison Square Garden.

The entrance was a bit hard to find, which seemed appropriate (magical and mystical) and once I found it I began to climb the steps.
I stopped on the steps for just a moment and silently said: "Thanks Lord, this is FUN!" and continued up the steps to the shop entrance.

YES!!! As I looked around I thought: "THIS is everything I hoped a Magic shop would be! This is the REAL thing!"

I was 7 years old again and staring in wonder at all of the hundreds of "magic-y" things. There was even an original contraption of some sort suspended from the ceiling that Harry Houdini had owned and performed with.

I noticed that, at the counter, there were 2 very pretty ladies and 2 handsome guys whom, I later learned, were from Hungary and the quartet was watching a very very gifted magician perform for them: "Magick Balay".

I don't know how he did what he done but he done it real good!

The magician noticed me kind of hiding in the background, watching from a distance, and said: "Would you like to join my friends?" (I was thrilled he asked).

Soon I was standing with the Hungarians who just kept applauding as Magick did one astonishing thing after another. Then they began to consult one another in Hungarian and the result of their consultation with one another was...they bought LOTS of stuff! Smile So did I. Smile

Mr. Balay personally autographed his: "Centrifugal" for me and I just have nothing but fond memories of Mr. Balay and of Fantasma. I love that memory. Fantasma is almost a living store: alive with Magick's spirit and with the spirit of all the magicians whose illusions Magick personally brings alive. Being there and watchhing him is like seeing a great Magician perform at Carnegie Hall for FREE!

Fantasma has an "old world" magic-y feel to it and is everything you would think a magic shop should be.

Fantasma is even more fun than browsing Penguin online and I spend LOTS of time at that on-line store "window-shopping"....thing about Fantasma and Magick though: ain't no way you are gonna just window shop. Smile He is so funny, so endearing, so warm hearted, and you want to buy something if, for no other reason, than to say: "Thankyou for bringing some sunshine into my life today Mr. Balay and for treating me like a friend".

There is something about seeing an illusion performed by a fun-loving master that just makes you pull out the wallet. (IN my case, an F-1 Nitro Smile )

From now on, whenever I take anyone to New York for the first time, I am placing Fantasma and Magick Balay as one of the "MUST SEES" on
the list of sights I want them to see.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-04-16 20:31, trueinventor wrote:
.... "Thankyou for bringing some sunshine into my life today Mr. Balay and for treating me like a friend".

That's EXACTLY what it's like to meet Magick Balay. He treats everyone like he's known them forever. He'll share routine ideas for things you haven't even bought. He's a fountain of knowledge and so generous with his time and expertise.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Did you hear the latest? » » Magic shop upstate NY (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL