The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is happening here?!?!?! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I disagree, I think we need stricter guide lines in order to make the Café what it once was...
xxx
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
I new you would Icy.

Corona.
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
I actually need to disagree a bit here. If this site were made into a paid site I would most definitely not remain a member. In this particular instance, all it would do is decrease the number of people contributing and thus dilute the value of the board. I come to the board to look at the variety of approaches to the same basic idea to help improve my approach to the art. Smaller groups lead to stagnation and you just end up seeing the same ideas repeated again and again.

Furthermore, a paid site would all but eliminate the ability of somebody new to the art from being able to learn. While I actually object to fishing for secrets to routines or other "top secret" information, I think this is exactly the place to talk about routining. I guess it is a difference on the perceived goals of the forums. I feel they are here to help improve the art. I will reference what I believe to be good sources for information, especially as it relates to routining ("Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz, for example, is often recommended by me). I will also recommend specific sources (13 Steps, Royal Road, etc.). I do not expose any tricks but I do like to discuss approaches to tricks. For example, there was recently a fascinating discussion on the choices of cards used in 8-card brainwave.

Now, if you give away secrets, you are in the wrong. If you give away YOUR routines, then you are wrong to complain about it later on. Other than that, I don't see what the issues really are. If you are sick of reading somebody fish for sources, then don't read. I always read because there may be an excellent source that I have neither heard about or have waivered in purchasing. As always, these are just my opinions and I respect yours just as much, even if I disagree.

Finally, I see absolutely no justification in requiring real names to be used on the forum. As far as I am concerned, the less places where my real name occurs on the internet, the better. Especially when I talk about places I purchase items or items I have purchased. I feel the reward to risk ratio makes this kind of recommendation completely insane (just my opinion, once again, but I really can't see how the rewards can come remotely close to the risks). If the use of the word insane offends anybody, I apologize but that is the word I am using.

Finally, I have had posts repeated deleting for just disagreeing, so let me stress that I respect everybody's opinions, that is why I came to the forum in the first place, to read them. Disagreeing is not flaming, whatever people may think, and if disagreeing gets this post deleted or "modified" than the point is moot from my point because I will no longer come here anyway.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5119 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
This will be addressed in the manager forum which has an identical post.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......40&2
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » What is happening here?!?!?! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL