The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Be amazed! Be very amazed! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
An illusion based on the two transporter pods from "The Fly". A spectator is
'voluntered' for a dangerous experiment. The two pods stand on stage a few feet apart. Lot's of erie music and lighting, plenty of dry ice. The spectator is led into the pod stage right and the thick door closed and locked. The music intensifies, the whole stage vibrates, the pods 'steam up', then ... silence.

The door of the pod stage right opens and the pod is empty. The door of the pod stage left slowly opens. The spectator is inside.

Now the kicker. The spectator genuinely can't figure it out. As far as they were aware they were still in the same pod.
We're having a laugh!
Grab yourself a FREE Joke Ebook at http://thejester.biz
Enigma3613
View Profile
New user
California
61 Posts

Profile of Enigma3613
Sounds very good, but are you sure you can pull it off? It might be good to transpose two spectators, a man and a woman who each enter a pod and switch places. Of course, that might take away from the impact one teleportation might have. You also have to make sure the audience doesn't think the assistants are plants, maybe a random selection. I do like the idea though, wish I had the ability to perform it. Smile Smile
- Robert Doidge
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Off the top of my head, I can think of a couple of ways this can be done.
But there is one big, nagging question:
How does anyone in the audience know that the spectator from the pod is amazed?
They can't, really.
So why bother?
Intriguing concept, though!
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
You're right, Peter, the fact that the spectator might be astounded cannot easily be conveyed to the rest of the audience, and that then makes it no different to a regular illusion. That's one hurdle to overcome, although not insurmountable, but of course the mechanics of the illusion need a lot of thought. I'm not an illusionist, or a designer, but even applying a bit of lateral thinking to the problem I have arrived at one possible solution. Thankfully, this thread is not about methods so I can happily leave it there. I would still love to see it done though.
We're having a laugh!
Enigma3613
View Profile
New user
California
61 Posts

Profile of Enigma3613
You could always use a celebrity volunteer, or have another reason for doing the trick. This would make the fact that the audience member has no idea how it is done unimportant in relation to the purpose of the effect.

I think it would also be really neat for the audience to know that the magician is picking someone completely at random who has not recieved any coaching or training to pull off the effect because it would make it more impossible, even after the suspension of disbelief has faded away.
- Robert Doidge
dr chutney
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
518 Posts

Profile of dr chutney
An idea occurred to me while I was watching some old magic tapes. The idea of the camera never cutting away could help the effect. The volunteer/celebrity wears a small camera on a hat or headband and the audience can see their actions the whole time. That would overcome the feeling that the volunteer might be in on it.
We're having a laugh!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Be amazed! Be very amazed! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL