We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Blind Folded Motorcycle Show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Profile of brandonford1982
Hi All I am considering making a street show using my motorcycle and and a few blind folds. The whole show would be this. Any thougts........
Dreams are a matter of choice, not chance. Live your Dreams. -DC
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Hmm, would you consider this a "magic show" or would it be better defined as something else?
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Hmmm honestly not sure..........
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Banachek used to do a driving a car blindfolded thing. He called it mentalism.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Regardless of the type of entertainment. will it work on the streets?
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Well, since you asked so directly... No, I don't think it would work out too well. Many reasons come to mind, most of them structural in nature. Too many liabilities to assume. Unicycles sometimes have it tough, so I can't imagine a motorcycle having it easy. What you're suggesting is much better suited for race tracks and fair grounds.

Chance
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
And you are not allowed to go everywhere with a motorcycle.
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

I have only one pitch I work and Have been granted permission to perform this stunt. I have been thinking more and more about what another poster said. "They call it mentalism" That intrigued me a little more. Does anyone do Mentalsim on the streets? Some things that come to mind that may play well would be Silverware bending, Book tests, etc. Does anyone perform Mentalism as a Street Show?
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
So which is it then? A stunt/thrill show, or a mentalism format?

What/where is this pitch you are referring to exactly, and how did you first get the idea of the stunt show to begin with?

What busking experience to you have, and name the pitches you have regular experience working.

You're fighting a loosing battle by going about it this way. It seems to me by your letters so far, that you either have very little street experience already, or your are in some kind of slump and trying too hard to climb out. As I read your messages and I get the mental impression of a struggling drowning victim.

Chance
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5370 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Blindfold Motor Cycle ride is a nice publicity stunt, it is a great “Free” show for a oval track raceway (pitch it to the owners as a show for the crowd between heats – I do escapes between heats at a local raceway), or even circus act (I’ve never seen it done in a circus but why not! It could actually be the hook to get you employed!)?

Let me say that, except for a cross town run publicity stunt, your “motorcycle and a few blindfolds” won’t be enough. You will need a few other props such as cones to weave in and out of, barriers to stop short of (how about a wall of swords, if you don’t stop in the right place you’re impaled! Way cool, I may just work on that!), maybe a limbo type of cross bar that you have to duck under or lose your head, etc. All of this adds some visual interest for the audience (and is called showmanship).

A street act could work given a wide enough area, some interesting props, and a helper to work the crowd. The noise factor and the space requirements will dramatically limit the areas that you will be able to work. Beach venue that sponsors bike runs, bike and auto shows would be a nice local to hit.

Honestly, it would be cheaper and easier to buy 100 feet of rope or chain, and do a one-trick pitch (100 foot rope/chain escape) and make money than the blindfold bike thing. However, if you did build the act, you’d be the only one doing it.

Again, like Chance, I don’t know your “hook” for the act, your motivation, or even your skill level. Just asking if you make a street act out of some blindfolds and a motorcycle and no other information gives you the honest and accurate answer of Yes, NO, Maybe (all are equally correct). So now you are back where you started with a flimsy idea that needs a ton of fleshing out before any further answer could be provided.

I say go for it!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Chance and Harry, First let me say I do have street expierence. However I am not a fulltime street performer. I perform once a week down at Pier 60 in clearwater, FL. And I have a new pitch in downtown St. Pete at a farmers market. Before I even decided on this type of show I asked the questions to the right people to make sure I had their ok to perform this. I am not a drowning victim as chance you put so elloquently (Sorry bad at spelling). I am merely wanting to improve and do differnt tricks on the streets. After starting this post I think the best way to approach this would be a mentalism show. When first posted I really didn't think of the type of show it should be. Now after you guys asking me the questions I think this will be the best format to go with. Harry Yes I too don't believe that just the blind folds and the drive will work. I think doing some silverware bending to help attract the crowd, Do some stanard mentalism like mind reading, mabey some comedy mentalism, (Like the "NO" Bit) And talk up my finale as the motorcycle stunt. A way I came up with to control the crowd walking in my path is using the rope that I use to desiginate my performance area. I have them line up holding the rope in 2 straight lines with me in the bike in the middle. Then the big finale would be riding down the line wihtout falling or running anyone over. I like your idea harry about adding something at the end of the line that I may run into or the limbo bar are good ideas and I will elaborate on them further. Thanks for your postive attitude harry. Chance thanks for your adivce also. Has anyone heard of a mentalist working the streets?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Brandonford,
I'm glad you stuck with us and filled in some of the details of your experience, other pieces, etc...

You have to admit, you really didn't give us much to go on with your first post, and I wasn't going to be the one who encouraged some 14 year old with a dirt bike to go kill himself in public.

Good luck, and listen to these guys. Some of them actually know what they're talking about Smile

David
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Yeah Sorry for that. I post regularly in The Grand Illusions section. So I assume most know me but I venture into another area and no one seems to know me lol Smile No worries though. Im 24 and been performing porfessionally for about 6 years. been inot magic since I was six and have learned from the best. I know Gazzo(he sold me the rights to his underwater bucket escape), I competed against Cellini and his wife, Have Annual TV appearences on local TV Programs, ETC. Sorry for all the confusion. PS Harry I bought your Tom Horn Transport belt a few months back. I actually DO perform a 100ft rope escpae and Recently added the belt into the act with 100ft rope at the same time. It semms to work well. NOW again has anyone seen mentalism on the streets Smile. I have not seen this but I am curious if anyone else has. Thanks again.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Will you use a table?
Mario
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

No Table everything I do Will be carried in my saddle bags. All tricks, gags, will all be standing tricks requiring only the use of hands. I will have a speaker mounted on the back of the bike that can be removed as needed. I thinks its really neat I will be able to drive up to my pitch and step off the bike and start my show. I am also thinking about using the bike's engine in teh begining to help gather a bigger crowd. Example "people who are already here I will rev my engine when I do I want you to scream and yell as loud as you can and don't stop unitl I do" Or mabey uise that part right before the bllind fold drive. I also am thinking about getting 2 small banners that can be attached to the bike giving people my name, website info etc.... Show times.....
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
The table was my silly joke...

To say it as it is, I think this could be a great crowd puller but dam it you’re not going to be able to work many streets with it. I no for sure there is know where in the UK you could work a show like this on the street's and not get shut down.
On the other hand as Harry pointed out this could be a great act for a center ring at events and festivals.
I don’t buy into the mentalisam thing I think a pure stunt is the way to go.
This is a big show so I suggest not to cloud it up with smaller tricks.
Setting up the pitch should get you a crowd alone cones and what ever.

A volunteer is always a good thing so how about you put the blind fold on them first they confirm they cant see through now it your turn. If you use an amp they could even give directions from the side "left, left, left, no right and so on.
Mario
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

Hey I like that Idea of them giving me direction....As far as other pitches. I have been bugged by other performers on pier 60 to go to Mallory Square in Key west. Ive never gone (mainly scared that I wont measure up to the others) I like the idea of using mentalism but I also like the idea of making it a stunt show. I will work on both and I may try both and see which works better. The reason I would want to do the smaller tricks would be mainly for helping build a bigger crowd before my "show starts". That way the late comers will feel as though they have not missed the show yet. But mabey using a child in a stunt using the blind fold may work. I saw a bit where a child was blindfolded and ask to jump a rope that 2 others were holding. They mess up the first try but when they try again the performer takes the rope away and the kid jups thinking he is doing well infact there is no rope there at all.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Do your stump show. Just make sure you have a quarter acre to work with, sounds like a reasonable thing to me. Good luck.
Steve V
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

I just had an idea that struck me for this. This would make it magic related. Turn the in to The World's Most Dangerous/Outrageous Card Trick. I would have to find the selected card after I weave thru all of the course. Like mabey using a card sword and at the end of the course the card go flying and I impale their card. Or somehting along those lines. What do you think about this? Does anyone have a better way to find the card instead of using a card sword. This would have to something gimmicked as I will be on a bike with a ahood on. I don't want to have to concentrate on sleghts while on the bike...... Hope to hear some ideas.....
brandonford1982
View Profile
Veteran user
304 Posts

OOHH another idea is to have a unicycle, or bicycle as a backup incase the motorcycle is not allowed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Blind Folded Motorcycle Show (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL