The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Japanese Drama "Trick" exposing a lot of mentalism methods (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I don't see exposure as a "bad" thing, but I don't see it as a good thing either. That really helps huh. My point is the art will go forward either way, so I cant stay up at night worrying about it.

I have said a number of times a horrible magician is far worse than an exposure show.

Carlos I agree that if someone suspects thread do something that makes the use of thread is impossible. My point was more about the fact that deep down most layman know it is not real. They might not know or understand the method, but they know it is not real. I think to many of use really think the audience thinks we are the real deal. We are not giving layman enough credit.

Just for easy rational layman thought. It could sound like this. If that guy can really bend that spoon/fork/nail/whatever with just his mind why is he here at this _________ performing for us? Why is he/she not one of the most powerful and well known people in the world? Do you see what I am getting at? We need to give layman alittle more respect.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Unless one has an answer to that question ChoiChi.

Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Blah blah blah Jim. Nobody has!!!
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Well I do and maybe that is why you do what you do and I do as I do.
(Not being edgy here just stating my case).

But you are correct in you statemet about laymen. I just was making comment on having answers to questions.

Jim

H.O.A-X
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Jim I am also not trying to be edgy, but I think you have tricked yourself. If you have that answer why are you not all over the news etc? Why have you not shown anybody but yourself that answer? That is the BIG flaw in your case.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Now where did I put Rufus... where is that hat... I know I have that hat somewhere.....
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Smile We are only discussing not fighting. You can put Rufus away.
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Ah shucks - ok. (Tossing a cow carcaus into the hat (chomp chomp chomp))..

Back on topic: So, the show "The Magician" with Bill Bixby ages ago - it also exposed some tricks as he fought injustice and solved crimes... did anyone complain about that one? It actually was kind of cool to have a magician as a hero.... kind of Macguver done realistically....

Bruce
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Who decides what is okay to expose, and where it is okay to expose magic or Mentalism?

When you expose something that you did not invent, does that mean that someone else has the right to expose something that YOU have invented? Is it all right to come to your performances and stand out front before the show and sell all the methods to your effects?

When you expose, you are deciding for every other Magician/Mentalist what they can use or how they can perform certain effects that you've exposed. Do you have the right to do that?

- entity
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2006-03-08 15:59, chichi711 wrote:
Do you see what I am getting at? We need to give layman alittle more respect.

I agree. I think you hit the nail on the head earlier in that post. This isn't a simple issue and, even if it was, exposure will NEVER go away, if anything, it will get worse. I think having a proactive approach (silencing questions before they are voiced) is moving from being a nice touch to being mandatory.

For me, everything is about the effect. I don't care about the method or anything else really. I think of how to maximize the effect. To my delight, that approach has negated any effect that exposure has had, up to this point, on my act.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-03-08 16:32, entity wrote:
Who decides what is okay to expose, and where it is okay to expose magic or Mentalism?

When you expose something that you did not invent, does that mean that someone else has the right to expose something that YOU have invented? Is it all right to come to your performances and stand out front before the show and sell all the methods to your effects?

When you expose, you are deciding for every other Magician/Mentalist what they can use or how they can perform certain effects that you've exposed. Do you have the right to do that?

- entity

Excellent, excellent question. My opinion has been posted previously, though, I must admit, I do vacillate a bit at the end.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/searc......=4482798
Cognite tute
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
I do not think so and that is why I do so.

But I did consider such and still do from time to time.

For instance Tellers effect with the rose and shadow.
Or Randi's book test etc.

But what stops me is being like them.
(A rather vile thought)

ChiChi I am saying I have the an aswer to the questions the spectators ask nothing else.

You made the post read what you wrote and perhaps what I offered will be clear.

I also think that if a show exposes effects magicians should expose the secrets of the advertisers who pay for the show. Or go for the people involved directly.

Jim
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

The question must be broached in at least some mentalist shows. I am glad you have a response, Jim.

A more relevant question, however, that comes up more often is why mentalists don't win the lottery and such. Every mentalist should have a reasoning behind this (uh-oh, this was in Strong Magic too, wasn't it, lol). I assume you have one as well, right ChiChi? I guess what I am saying is that as long as any such answers make sense relative to the performance you are putting on, they should be accepted by the audience. Generally (NOT ALWAYS), people attending my shows want to be entertained and don't give me much grief. Just lucky I guess.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Jim: For once we agree. I'm against exposure of methods no matter who is doing it.

- entity
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Entity,

On a roll today first Jimton and I agree now you and I.

The three of us get together and offer our services to the world powers.

We could nail down world peace in a couple of weeks I am sure.

-Jim

H.O.A-X
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
Only a matter of time, Jim.

- entity
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Quote:
On 2006-03-08 16:40, Jim-Callahan wrote:

ChiChi I am saying I have the an aswer to the questions the spectators ask nothing else.

You made the post read what you wrote and perhaps what I offered will be clear.

Jim

Okay I understand what you are saying then.
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
My this is a rare day at the Café' ChiChi, and I also are on the same page at the same time at least on this thread.

We do all need to run for office this is a sign for sure.

You fellas have a good week I have to head off now.
Will check in Monday.

Jim
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I would say the only time to expose something is if it is being used to cheat people. I don't need to identify what that is, but anybody with any morals should know.

If it is somebodies act for entertainment then I am against it! I would never expose an effect to an audience. I don't even show my wife!

Quote:
On 2006-03-08 17:07, Jim-Callahan wrote:
My this is a rare day at the Café' ChiChi, and I also are on the same page at the same time at least on this thread.

We do all need to run for office this is a sign for sure.

You fellas have a good week I have to head off now.
Will check in Monday.

Jim

Just this thread. Smile
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Even so, it's still a grand moment. Hooray for you fellers and the thread that united you, even ephemerally.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Japanese Drama "Trick" exposing a lot of mentalism methods (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL