The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Voyeur Vanish by Copperfield! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Beaudini Magic
View Profile
Loyal user
Ohio
259 Posts

Profile of Beaudini Magic
I have watched the Voyeur Video, and am very impressed with the illusion itself. As far as the underlying themes go, I personally did not find them to be offensive, or overly sexual in nature. I believe that magic, just like any other art form, is open to interpretation. I do not think that this illusion was taken too far, as it was limited to some sensual dancing, and that is about it. This is my opinion, and I completely understand the others who feel differently. Everyone has the right to interpret art in whichever way they please. As far as the illusion itself goes, absolutely beautiful, this is where magic needs to go.

Sincerely,

Beau Alexander
-Beau Alexander
"Make the Path, Others will Follow"
diamond
View Profile
Regular user
Serbia & Montenegro
200 Posts

Profile of diamond
Yes, magic is definitely open to the presentation. There's a guy in Sweden (I think, or one of the Scandinavian countries perhaps) who specializes in performing illusion shows in a sort of a quite hardcore fetish style, and he does it really well. He performs on the circuit of fetish balls around Europe. Each of his illusions has a very well thought of plot and when performed in a "normal" venue and with the audience of non-fetish oriented people, he still gets a thunderous applause. He is extremely good at what he's doing and he earned millions. To each his own.

Being a family-oriented show, there might be a couple of "overs" in DC's show, but Voyeur is certainly not one of those. It is a beautifully staged routine and there is nothing wrong with it. In a psychological sense he knows exactly what he is doing and that is one of his greatest talents.

When he performed in Belgrade (Serbia & Montenegro) he made a game of words with one local word for "padlock". Katanac - it is pronounced exactly in the same way as an english phrase "Cut the n*ts". He was overwhelmed with joy with this and took advantage of this joke of the situation zillion times throughout the Lottery routine. I don't find it offensive either, well how many times do we hear that in harmless movies?

I like the "Ultimate dancing panties" or whatever this routine is called. The exchange of the panties looks very cute (I mean the part when the panties dance), but I find the part when his female assistants lift the girls' panties on their back side to show the exchange quite degrading for women in general and it doesn't look cute at all.

Regarding the bra trick issue... I know that this trick has always been considered a low-class trick by many magicians, but on the other hand side let's face the fact that there are no good or bad tricks - there are only good or bad presentations. If done on a random woman from the audience it surely is degrading and embarassing, but on the other hand side maybe there is another way to present this little nasty thing... Afterall, it's only a piece of clothing. I wouldn't be surprized if DC would do it, but I'm sure he'd make a hell of a presentation of it and he would most probably do it in a completely new way. It would most probably be called "The Bra Illusion" LOL.

Unfortunately laypeople (here I'm talking about the random spectator at a touring magic show performance, not the upscale selected audience groups such as spectators on corporate banquets, royal command performances or cruise ships) do like things like that and in a game Copperfield vs. Classy "Mr Clean" The Magician - Copperfield wins. He knows exactly what he is doing and his shows were carefully planned by teams of showbiz experts to earn millions (a year). And they do.
Joe Mansfield
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Joe Mansfield
To get this back to the original subject of if it was "TV magic" or not, did everyone completely miss the fact that on the video the illusion is performed entirely surrounded???
Jeff007
View Profile
Regular user
109 Posts

Profile of Jeff007
For the record - I love the baffling bra trick. Smile I agree with diamond - well said!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Voyeur Vanish by Copperfield! » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL