The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Sly silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
Where can I buy the best-of-the-best sly silks that would marvel Slydini himself and where can I purchase the best information of this great trick?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The trick is really not in the "non-silk" silks. Remember Dumbo's feather? Learn the effect and decide later about the props. Don't paint yourself into a corner. Keep your options open.

Enjoy.

Bob Sanders
Magic
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22407 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
You can purchase the silks and DVD instructions together at http://www.llpub.com or they sell the book 'The Magic of Slydini' if you want to learn from the book.

I know that http://www.stoners.com have only 1 set of Slydini silks available for $30.00. It is not on their site, but you can email them for purchase information or call them. They do not have the DVD instructions.

Also Tony Clark has a version on DVD.
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5322 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Bill's given you valuable leads.

Go back and re-read Bob’s post. The trick does not need any special silks. Slydini had some squares made from parachute material; one square was hemmed with orange thread and the other with white thread. Why? So that he would never loose the corners of the silks for the upsetting move. This allowed him to use two “identical” silks and also allowed one phase where the two silks were freely given out for tying (it is just as easy to upset a granny knot as a square knot).

If you ever watched Slydini perform his version of this routine, you will notice that he never looked at the silk squares when he did the tying. He did it so often he did not need to do so. Frankly, he didn’t need the colored thread visual tell either.

For learning the routine get two contrasting color silk squares. Once you learn the routine worry about

I have used regular silk squares, bandanas, and men’s linen handkerchiefs over the past couple of decades. I even had a seamstress sew a bright yellow thread line near the hem on a blue bandana once (I was using two blue bandanas). I think it cost me a cup of coffee.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jacob Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1759 Posts

Profile of Jacob Smith
I know what Bill means but I know a basic routine and I just want a better pair of silks because penguin magic's silks are cheap but are not as great as exspected.i may buy the llpub package or I might get some palmer magic sly silks.
Howdydoodat
View Profile
New user
Nick Brown
26 Posts

Profile of Howdydoodat
I got a set from Davenports in London, I couldn't say that they were better quality that the ones you are using but they work fine for me. I Agree with Harry, if you get the method right it works with almost any fabric. Bill Malone has a version on his latest DVD which I thought was good.
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I just bought three sets from L&L and they are really nice. They look like mens pocket handkerchiefs, not parachute material. Mind you, I have performed the effect with the "parachute material" silks and no one has ever questioned them.

As Harry said, probably just about anything will work. I just happen to like the the nice, neat look of the L&L ones.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20496 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It's hard to argue with success and a satisfied customer.

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of wally
Anyone want to sell their info on the Slydini travelling knot from glass to glass? Or have I got to buy Tony Clark's Sly Scarfs? I got the Bill Malones DVD but it dosn't show the travelling knot. Thanks.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13384 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What do you mean ..... "sell their info" on glass to glass?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Sly silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL