The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Hi,
Because I want to buy one, I was wandering about the differences between the What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card, and which you prefer?

If I am correct What's Next and Dots Next work the same way, but the Dots Next is a cheaper version?
I am told the Giant Spot Card is essentially the same trick, but with a different method. So I wonder which method you prefer (and why)?

It's going to be for kid’s shows.
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I believe these all function the same wit hsome minor variations in the prop itself. I recently saw Rick Thomas perform this in his stage show and I was surprised at how nicely it played. I use Norm Nielsen's version as I like his flat dots.

Dan.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I would encourage you to check out Matthew Johnson's (from Vancouver)lecture notes which contains an excellent poem/patter for this effect. I use this all the time and it gives context and a narrative that makes sense for the effect. It tells of your first trip to the magic shop and starts like this... "When I first started magic I went to a store filled with rabbits and silks and magic galore." You have to buy the notes to learn the rest. I use it all the time and recommend it highly.

Smartini

Ps. I think Matthew's web site is something like http://www.magicshow2go.com
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1600 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
I'm interested in checking out these notes, but the page is no longer available, and there's no email address listed. Hopefully the page will be up soon.

Brian
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2732 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi esther:

Rather than any of ones you mentioned in your post, I recommend you get Dinamo for Neilsen Magic. Here is a link - go down a bit on the page and you'll see it: http://nnmagic.com/magicitems/stagemagicpage_al.htm

The Dinamo card is very deceptive from a fairly close up range. What's Next is okay, but not nearly as deceptive as Dinamo, and it's not much cheaper, so I say spend the extra money.

There have been other cards in the past: I believe Ken Brooke in the UK once produced a giant card where the pips multiplied (instead of spots). The mainly disadvantage to using this style is that you will need distance between yourself and the audience. It cannot be done at a birthday - the kids will see how it's done. Lee Earle's version (he's from the USA) where the card opens up to be an eye chart is nice, but works the same way.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.

Ron Reid
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
I don't know who makes the one I have but it is a black metal card with 3-d hot pink spots.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
I wouldn't recommend Dots Next. I purchased it and have had some problems working with it. A friend of mine who used What's Next took a look at it for me and said What's Next didn't have those handling problems. Costs a little more but a case of you get what you pay for, I'd say.

You do need a little distance between yourself and your audience, but the routine plays very well. Great reactions.
srayproctor
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of srayproctor
I agree with Ron Reid that the Norm Neilson Dinamo Card is the way to go.

If you need a childrens routine you might want to check out "Uncle Wiggy’s routine for ‘What’s Next?" at http://www.practical-magic.com. It's near the bottom of the childrens section.

Scott
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I have to agree about Dinamo beating the "What's Next" both for performability and deceptiveness. I own a "WN" from the mid-1970's, and the spots are convex, covered with flat black material, and NOT very deceptive at all. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a package of those magnetic sheets (used for your printer to make magnetic business cards), cut my own, and you can print 'em in any color you like to match whatever you card currently has.

I actually prefer the octagonal one from Chalet Magic. It has a more natural progression, from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 (finale)...it's durable as heck, too!

Steve Thomas
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Thanks for the link to practical magic...will check out the Chalet Magic version as well
BradBrown
View Profile
Regular user
Florence, KY, USA
182 Posts

Profile of BradBrown
I use "What's Next." I recently replaced it due to a lost spot. (Somehow, ending with 7 spots didn't have the same impact.)

Anyway, for at least the last several years, "What's Next" has come with flat spots instead of the convex ones from the older model.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Wow thank you all so much for your helpful reactions!
Ron Reid your are completly right, if there is one that I can use close up I absolutely prefer it to one that needs distance.

The dinamo card sound really good to me, because a lot of the time I have the kids close by, and if at all possible I like to have them close by!
But I have not (yet?) found an online shop where I cab pay by paypal. (I do not own a credit card).Have not find this one at all in Holland.

The one from Chalet Magic sounds good too. How about distance by this one? Can you have the children close by?

Magicalaurie, thanx for pointing out "dots next" is not the same quality.

Smartine, I cannot get to the poem-pattern on the site, and although it sounds good, I would not be able to use it because I am in Holland and the dutch kids won't understand the English. But thanx anyway. I think it will be the same with the other routine srayproctor mentioned. But I guess I'll get my own routine.

and N.Bacon I think I found your pink spotted one somewhere too. But can you perform this one close by?
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Esther, je kan ook een eigen nederlandse tekst maken. (Translation: Esther, you can make also your own Dutch text.)
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I am not sure if it is still made but my version of Dinamo (which also came from Nielsen) has an extra kicker of one of the spots disappearing leaving a hole through the metal board.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Philip, that sounds interesting too.
Haven't read about that yet.
The Dinamo card realy sounds the best to me so far.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 09:07, esther_scheffer wrote:
Magicalaurie, thanx for pointing out "dots next" is not the same quality.

You're very welcome. Good luck! Smile
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Phillip,

That sounds very cool. I have not seen that before.

Dan.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2732 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 00:41, BradBrown wrote:
I use "What's Next." I recently replaced it due to a lost spot. (Somehow, ending with 7 spots didn't have the same impact.)

Anyway, for at least the last several years, "What's Next" has come with flat spots instead of the convex ones from the older model.

Oh good. Had one years, and years, and YEARS ago and the three dimensional aspect of SOME of the spots but not all of them bothered me. When (and increasingly it seems, "if") I get around to buying stuff again. I'll have to look into replacing my "What's Next!"

(I made my own "Arrow" trick once, with a patter about a car compass that sent me in wacky directions until I finally gave up and started using a map. The arrow card opened up to a road map. Feel free to use it if it works for you.)
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
If my What's Next ever wears out or has to be replaced for some reason, I would probably get Dinamo. What's Next is ok and I don't use it very often, so I'm not going to buy Dinamo unless a need arises for a new trick of this type.

Regan
Mister Mystery
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Robert Blake,
My dutch reply to you got deleted, cause we (I??) have to speak English.
So here in English: Yes I will make my routine in Dutch (haha.) Smile No sense in trying to be original by doing it in English!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL