The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
P.B....you don't have a Tenyo "What's Next?", you have a Delben Domino! Keep it or, better yet...GIVE it to me!

Steve Thomas
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Delben Domino!

Hi,
yes that's the name of it I bought it many years ago

http://www.martinsmagic.com/?html=full&a......key=1209

this is a link
Phillip
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Thanx for the link Philip!
Found links to a lot more "dominos" now.

Your Delben Domino looks great.
But also "dotty domino"(stage size) anyone knows this? The colours change. Is it like what's next? or only the colours change and not the number of dots?
Can ou use it close-up?
But I guess the dotty domino is not available anymore??? Ans probably the same goes for Delben domino? Too bad!!!
Bridgewater
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
184 Posts

Profile of Bridgewater
This is one of those tricks that, despite its popularity, I just don't get. The whole thing seems to me entirely unmagical. I've seen magicians use it in performance maybe a dozen times and audiences usually react with a polite smile and a shrug.
If someone has a very funny presentation for this prop, they ought to market it. Those that I have seen have been lame.
"Don't run with those..."
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I would reiterate my support for Matthew Johnson's What Next routine...as I stated already, it gives a reason for the spots appearing and multiplying...check it out and I will certainly be checking out Dinamo
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5392 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Personally, I like Master Payne's "What Be Next?," a themed version of the Tenyo classic, described in his lecture notes, "Sometimes the Jokes are Just for Me." For anyone interested, Payne is a forum member.
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Hello all, I was at the magic shop the other day (ahhhhhhhh joyyyyyyyy) I was looking for props and routines for my summer reading programs "whats buzzin" is the theme and I came a cross a whats next but it was actually a ladybug! unfortunatly it was our of my budget for this program, but it seemed very well made!
"Its a magic thing...........you wouldn't understand"
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
2863 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
Quote:
On 2006-03-10 21:57, Magiguy wrote:
I like Master Payne's "What Be Next?,"

that be interesting. Smile
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
How in the WORLD can any version of this effect be "out of the budget"? You do charge for the shows, right? Even the best version ("Dinamo") isn't that expensive!

I had forgotten about the Abbotts version that I have tucked away somewhere. It's large spots on a domino-looking card, they increase in number, change colors, and the whole thing ends up folding out into an eye chart! How many of ya have this and have forgotten? I KNOW this can't be out of your budget...

Steve
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Abbotts domino Card? Unfortunatly I cannot find anything on that.
Chaning colours as well as numbers sounds interesting too!
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Yes I do charge for my shows and I do this full time! Since this is a business I treat it like a business that means I set aside a certain amount of money to create a new program (like most professionals do) so I don't just walk into the magic shop and buy "one of everything please" and then just let it all sit on a closet!
I create a show and come up with a list of routines that will fit then I budget for those routines then I ad a little extra on in case I come across something that I had not seen before, the whole point was that the ladybug fit with my summer reading theme but it was 60 dollars for the trick which I had not budgeted!
that's why it didn't fit into my budget!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
WOW...$60! Even I wouldn't pay that. I'm wondering who the manufacturer was and why it's so high. Can't really speculate on the quality, since I've never seen it, but if it really fits the theme of the show, I'd go with it anyway. Sell something you have lying around that you don't use to regain your losses. I know most of us who perform professionally have purchased an item with a certain show or tour in mind, and that's usually a very specific item to fit a specific theme. It may never get used again, but if it truly fits the theme of the library shows for the season...I'd recommend getting it. UNLESS, of course, it's cheaply made of cardboard and wouldn't last $60 worth of shows!

Steve T.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
By the way, I think the Abbotts item is called an "Eye Chart" or "Eye Test" or something like that. I'll have to dig out some of my (like 25 or so) Abbott's catalogs and check.

Steve T.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Here is a picture of lily the ladybug.

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product_image.php?imageid=5135

I read it is from a german manufacturer. In Germany it is called "hugo der marienkever"

http://www.pappnase-co.de/jpgs/136089.jpg
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1066 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
I have a "what's next" type effect that starts with one spot, then has two, then three, and finally four.

The kicker at the end is that you "rub away" one of the spots and you're left with three spots and a hole in the card.

I bought it at a magic shop in the Houston area.

By the way, if you are interested in getting the "Mixing it Up" book, by Matthew Johnson, which includes his "What's Next" routine--please contact me privately.
PRAISE FOR TIM'S BOOK, PERFORM:

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"My favorite book for performers!" Bill Cook

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
macmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
MA
400 Posts

Profile of macmagic
Well I feel that the other routines I have budgeted for are much better then the ladybug so decided not to go with the ladybug!
it seemed pretty well made though, like a heavy 1/4 inch thick piece of plastic, and it had googly eyes(they always crack me up)
if I remember correctly one of the selling points was that the lady bug is always looking in the same direction so you only turn it from left to right you don't have to flip it top to bottom like the whats next!
Angelo the Magician
View Profile
Loyal user
Vienna(Austria/Europe)
217 Posts

Profile of Angelo the Magician
Hello! My "What's next Card" has pips as the Ace of Diamonds . . . Eight of Diamonds. And I think, that only this look of a playing card allows that spectators think, there is really a Three (a third spot behind your hand)! If it is a black board with white circles, it has to be a square, so we can say it's a part of a dice or half of a domino. A black board in form of a playing card, with white circles - no, nobody will think that there are three spot if they see only two!
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Check this one out please:

http://www.hanklee.org/xcart/product.php......7ad7fb98

Could be plenty of routines with it.
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
The eyechart one looks like a great routine, anyone have a link?
Autumn Morning Star
View Profile
Grammar Hostess
Today, I corrected grammar in
1379 Posts

Profile of Autumn Morning Star
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 15:29, esther_scheffer wrote:
Robert Blake,
My dutch reply to you got deleted, cause we (I??) have to speak English.
So here in English: Yes I will make my routine in Dutch (haha.) Smile No sense in trying to be original by doing it in English!

My apologies, Robert and Esther. The message in Dutch was deleted automatically by the system. I am so sorry, but The Café rules want everyone to write in English because this is an English database.

Good news: If anyone wants to speak in their native language it is fine if you PM each other. I certainly encourage it! I speak several languages, too, so I have ALSO been deleted before. One word or two as a "thank you" or "hello" seems to be ok.
Dank u. (Thanks.)
Wonder is very necessary in life. When we're little kids, we're filled with wonder for the world - it's fascinating and miraculous. A lot of people lose that. They become cynical and jaded, especially in modern day society. Magic renews that wonder.
Doug Henning
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL