The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1840 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
I saw Chuck Jones perform at the touring "It's Magic Show". He did a version of whats next. It blew me and some of my magic friends away that do Whats Next in their shows. It was different than the regular Whats Next.

I'm guessing it had a F _ _ P and that how the amazing transition took place. It's been a while since I saw it so I can't remember the whole routine.

All I know it was very very amazing, different and cool. Any ideas? Maybe Chuck had it custom made? In that case it's his secret!
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Here is Lily THe Ladybug with free shipping: No M****ts.

http://www.funtymemagic.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1218
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
Autumn Morning Star. No problem at all. We can speak Dutch on the Dutch forum Smile

The ladybug still looks appealing. (I prefer her over the cookie). Anyone got Lilly and is she as good as she looks?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12001 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I got this from Chalet magic yesterday, very well made.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On 2006-07-24 17:40, esther_scheffer wrote:
Anyone got Lilly and is she as good as she looks?

I saw one at Kidabra and it was very well made.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Finally got around to ordering a new Dinamo from Nielsen's to replace my old What's Next card. I also just ordered a Snow Leopard Vest from Lee Alex which I think would really add to the routine. The final spots appear on the card and then on your waistcoat...any thoughts on the handling/idea?
liljay510
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
101 Posts

Profile of liljay510
Any one know who the maker is for the version with the Black card and pink dots, I bought it at the Bob Little convention, I lost one of the spots and would like to know if I can purchase replacement spots.
No matter How much you know you can never stop learning.
MrFye
View Profile
Regular user
119 Posts

Profile of MrFye
I love Mrs Brown's Kooky Kookie. A giant chocolate chip cookie fits perfectly into my kids show. Kids love cookies. Patter possibilities abound.
matthewjohnson1234
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson1234
Hi Guys,

I am a bit late (as usual) on this thread but I am the guy Smartini and a few others have mentioned with the routine for "What's Next". It is published in my book "Mixing it up". Many of you have shown an interest but have not been able to get to my site. In 2006 I had work done on my site to update it but it is now back online at http://www.magicshow2go.com. I do not sell my effects through my site however. My effects are released by Murphy's Magic so can be purchased from Magic stores all over the world, the "Mixing it up" book being one. Simply go to a store such as http://www.hocus-pocus.com and type in Matthew Johnson on the search bar.

If anyone has any questions regarding the routine I am more than happy to help :o)

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
disneywld
View Profile
Special user
Denver, CO
614 Posts

Profile of disneywld
I changed the original What's Next card by adding fun items from the magnet store. I was able to create a special message for a trade show customer.
The Magic of Christopher Manos
www.safetymagicshows.com
Domino Magic
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Domino Magic
I just got Norm Nielsen's Dinamo yesterday and have a couple of comments about it. First of all, I like the prop. Well worth the money. The set-up is reversed from What's Next, but if you start with it in your left hand, you're good to go.

I started with What's Next years ago and haven't had that prop for a long time. It was the one with the raised dots. I never had an issue with the raised dots.

Restarting with Dinamo presented a challenge with the dots. I was used to the raised ones, which are very easy to manipulate. The flat ones on Dinamo has taken some getting used to. Had I not had What's Next, I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue, but that's just what I was used to.

The last comment is about the gloss black finish - it leaves fingerprints/smudges very easily. Minor issue however.

I much prefer the white dots on a black background. I think it provides better visibility.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Domino: I have performed both What's Next and also Dinamo and I must say I like Dinamo much better. Keep in mind Dinamo was set up for a left handed performer as Norm himself is left-handed. It really is not much of an issue as you get used to it very quickly. It does not effect the flow of the routine or handling. You just have to get a bit used to it.

I like the Dinamo because to me it is even more deceptive. I even fool myself when setting the thing up right under my nose. It is just that strong. Also, from stage, the contrast with white on black just shows up much better for larger crowds and increased distance.

I have had nothing but great things to say about this product. of course this is just my opinion for what works best for me and my wife.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I had someone spot the raised dots from about 8 feet away. She didn't figure out how things really work, but might have figured it out with a little bit more looking. I finished things quickly, and put the card away and went to the next effect.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have never had that happen. I think lighting plays a part in it as well as proper misdirection and your presentation. I also feel that Dinamo tends to be better looking in regards to any possible "shadows" occuring. When setting up the effect before the show, I foten fool myself in that I can not tell which is the gimmick and which is not. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3723 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I believe I've mentioned before about the raised dots being a problem closer that about 15 feet. You can buy VERY thin magnetic material these days to replace or add more dots to any of these props. I also have the stop-sign-shaped version from Chalet, I believe it's called "What's New".

Steve
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I still am suprised that you have people "calling" on you that they are opicking up the raised area sand letting you know about it. I have never had this happen and I have had both versions of "What's Next" as well as "Dinamo". I also have done this for people as close as 6 feet and have never had any issue at all.

I think part of it is my combination of proper misdirection and the patter and routining I use. The routine is funny, gets them involved and laughing and reacting in a way that they do not have any time to figure anything out nor do they even want to because they are angaged through out it.

Just my opinion is all.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

tgaffney
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of tgaffney
I am working on a version of "What's Next" using a piece of cardboard and a
marking pen.

Spectator signs the card and then you draw the spots on the card.

As the trick progresses the spots appear and are actually drawn on the
cardboard.

At the end of the trick you give the spectator the card as a souvenir
ala the paper from the drawn rising card trick.

Anyone have any ideas and/or research resources for me on this concept?
I want to credit any prior ideas.

Thanks in advance.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-26 06:31, tgaffney wrote:
I am working on a version of "What's Next" using a piece of cardboard and a
marking pen.

Spectator signs the card and then you draw the spots on the card.

As the trick progresses the spots appear and are actually drawn on the
cardboard.

At the end of the trick you give the spectator the card as a souvenir
ala the paper from the drawn rising card trick.

Anyone have any ideas and/or research resources for me on this concept?
I want to credit any prior ideas.

Thanks in advance.

This sounds like an extremely novel idea and I have absolutely no clue as to how you plan to do it. My routine with the Dinamo card has evolved from the original What's Next version to the Nielsen. I also use the poetic verse that Matthew Johnson alluded to but I changed both the intro and the ending to make it meet my needs.

The next thing I'm going to add is a Snow Leopard Vest. This is the version which turns the vest from all black to black with white spots. I think the Nielsen version should look very cool with the multiple spot ending along with a simultaneous quick change with the vest.

jeff
J.Robert
View Profile
Loyal user
Gettysburg, PA
240 Posts

Profile of J.Robert
I have the Dinamo (I think--the black board with white spots, right?). I've used it once or twice but never found a routine I was comfortable with. Will Matt Johnson's poem work with the Nielsen effect?
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Quote:
On 2008-05-27 11:32, J.Robert wrote:
I have the Dinamo (I think--the black board with white spots, right?). I've used it once or twice but never found a routine I was comfortable with. Will Matt Johnson's poem work with the Nielsen effect?

Matthew's poem would certainly work with the Dinamo board. You merely need to change the reference to the black dots/spots to the white spots/dots. I highly recommend this routine and its very easy to adapt the routine to make it more personalized to your situation. I didn't want to use the lines that referred to buying magic at a store as it seemed to suggest that if you buy the trick you can be a magician. I've changed the beginning and ending to describe a narrative which tells of my grandfather showing me my first trick (true) and the trick is the Dinamo card (not true) but hey a little artistic license is perfectly fine isn't it? I've also made Matthew's routine more of my own by adding some sentimental/nostalgic music and (soon) the Snow Leopard Vest which is Lee Alex's quick change where the black vest turns to black with white dots. The surprise kicker of the additional dots on the card and the costume change I think will make for a more complete routine that is a far cry from the how many dots do I have...wrong...how many now...wrong. Instead, the routine invites the audience to enjoy the story of how I became interested in magic through the love of my grandfather. I think "smalzty"/sentimental is the mood I'm shooting for and then the additional kicker of the colour change gives it a magical surprise at a different level.

I'm planning on attending the McBride Mystery School's Magic for Meaning session in October and this will likely be the piece that I present for Jeff and Eugene's feedback.

jeff
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL