The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
I just bought a What's Next that was advertised as Tenyo's and the sent me the Dot's Next which came today. I emailed the seller be ause I wanted the What's Next which is why I spent the extra money. I will end up getting the Dinamo based on info from this forum. I don't believe that $35 bucks is much as long as it is quality. the two I am on the fence is the Jumbo Dream bag which goes for about $100 and Axel's Newsworthy Torn and Restored which goes for about $85. I am pretty new to magic but don't mind spending money to get quality tools for the craft. Any feedback on the dream bag and Newsworthy appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis
Perry D Winkle
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of Perry D Winkle
Quote:
On 2009-04-18 17:28, dennisspeaks wrote:
I just bought a What's Next that was advertised as Tenyo's and the sent me the Dot's Next which came today. I emailed the seller be ause I wanted the What's Next which is why I spent the extra money. I will end up getting the Dinamo based on info from this forum. I don't believe that $35 bucks is much as long as it is quality. the two I am on the fence is the Jumbo Dream bag which goes for about $100 and Axel's Newsworthy Torn and Restored which goes for about $85. I am pretty new to magic but don't mind spending money to get quality tools for the craft. Any feedback on the dream bag and Newsworthy appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

Jeez man! 35 bucks! You need a better source.
http://www.mjmmagic.com

Sells dots next for $13.53, and you can use free shipping. These other guys your working with tried to pull a fast one. I know a lot of guys on here tell you to only support brick and mortar magic shops, but my local shop really burnt me good. Since then, I do all my business online. I check reviews here to make sure they are quality effects and then I purchase from trustworthy online merchants.

As for the quality issue I'm messaging magicalaurie to figure out what she is referring to. There isn't much to dots next... I got it in the mail this week and it is very high quality.
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The Norm Nielsen "Dinamo" is better than the Tenyo, of course my What's Next (Tenyo) was purchased in about 1976, too, so the construction may have changed. Also, if you want something other than the rectangular card design, Chalet makes a good one that's octagonal.

Steve
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I like the Dinamo version which is black with white spots. When you order you can also ask for extra spots which add to the surprise finish.

jeff
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
I guess I was not clear, the 35 bucks was for the Dinamo that I saw advertised that someone was complaining it was expensive.

I paid 24 bucks for the bait and switch Dots Next because I thought it was the original Tenyo, the dots next is sold on ebay for 11.99 but I didn't want that one, the point that they advertised one and sent another thinking I wouldn't be the wiser irks me, I will give them the chance to correct it, if no results have my credit card company charge back. I have to do all online as we have no magic shop within 100 miles. I of course do read feedback but those are easy to fabricate as well.
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
Great news, I heard back and they do not have the tenyo so they are going to make the dots next disappear and make appear the Dinamno in it's place, now that is magic
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

That's good news for sure. I would encourage you to contact Nielsen's and ask them to send you out some extra dots. Real cheap to buy and you have extra in case any get lost. The best thing though is that the ending leaves you with a completely full dot finale.

jeff

ps. Also check out Matthew Johnson's lecture notes as he has a great rhyming poem which gives this routine a context other than just the adventures of the props in the performers hands.
KidMagic
View Profile
Regular user
Bradford
183 Posts

Profile of KidMagic
I use my (Tenyo) What's next in almost all my children's shows, I absolutley love it, it's not flimsy and works great! I use it as a comedy routine, actualy just yesterday at a child's b-day I used it and it went AMAZING!

Zach
Magically yours,
KidMagic/Zachary Gauthier
www.kidmagic.ca
dennisspeaks
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of dennisspeaks
Since this trick will be new to me, I am looking for patter and suggestions to use with it, I will be using it for Colleges, High Schools and Safety. Where can I find the Matthew Johnson's lecture notes?

thanks,

Dennis
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Dennis you can contact Matthew via email @

matthew@magicshow2go.com

jeff
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
355 Posts

Profile of magicone
On Jeff's recommendation and description, I just purchased "Mixing It Up book Matthew Johnson" from http://www.penguinmagic.com/specialorderproduct.php?ID=7 $23.25 shipped

The routine is called C'ing Spots, description as listed below.

C'ing Spots: At last a great routine for the "What's Next Board," by Tenyo Magic. The wonderful rhyming patter make this ideal for everyone from the kids to adults and will have you dusting the cob webs off this long forgotten classic.

**** I've been meaning to use mine and have never really cared for any of the patters I've seen but the one from Matthew Johnson sounded good so I'll give it a try.

Thanks Jeff!
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

You're more than welcome! I sent you a PM describing some of the changes that I've made to Matthew's rhyme so that it suits my performance philosophy/style. Send me a PM back once you've received it and have had a chance to think about it.

jeff
magicone
View Profile
Veteran user
Doylestown, PA
355 Posts

Profile of magicone
Jeff,

Will do, just dug it out, now all I have to do is find time to read Smile

Mine is the Tenyo model with the raised felt dots. (I also have the cookie one somewhere)

Thanks,
David
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Hi All,

I just wanted to let everyone know that my routine for the What's Next Board called "C'ing Spots" is now available as a $10 PDF download at my updated Magic Store. The routine comes with the handling, patter & 23 clear step by step photographs. Here is the link: http://www.thecorporatemagician.com/magicstore.html

Because of the huge interest in my What's Next Board Routine I plan on releasing real world, worker material that I have used in my shows for years as PDF downloads from my site at only $10 each.

Hope this helps,

MJ
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1679 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
Matt,

Thank you so much for all of your creativity and innovation. Per the above accolades I purchased your PDF and must admit your routine is outstanding! My Dinamo board is now smiling as this is the ultimate "Pack small, play big" routine to compliment most any show.

Thanks!
Dan.
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Hi Dan,

Thank you so much for the very kind words on my PDF download for the What's Next Board/Dinamo Board entitled "C'ing Spots". I am so glad you like it!

A little background on why I came up with the routine. I had owned this prop for many years and carried it all over the world with me on my travels. After moving to Canada & downsizing my touring show I decided to take old props and add a bit of spice to make them fun!

I took the What's Next Board & decided to start with that. When I had seen it performed it always seemed to be more of a puzzle than magic to me. I realized that the routines I had seen were missing direction! A strong start, strong finish & an interesting story. So I set about doing just that.

I decided to write a whimsical rhyming patter routine that would appeal to all ages. This performance piece now has a strong place in my kids show & my corporate show and plays equally well for both. It is also a strong piece in my lecture.

Many suggested that I sell this PDF for more because of the value of the routine. I decided to keep the price low so more people could appreciate it & have as much fun with it as I do!

Enjoy!

MJ
davidbreth
View Profile
New user
Angeles City, Philippines
69 Posts

Profile of davidbreth
Before I comment on Matthew Johnson's "Cing Spots Rhyme" I want to approach both Dinamo and What's Next in regard to some of the threads I see here and in other places from time to time asking questions like which is better, etc.

If you are going to perform professionally you SHOULD consider several stage elements of a professional entertainer (magician).

1. Strongly think about your costume.
A. What color is it.
B. Are there any patterns in it.

For instance if you wear solid black clothing and you are using the black board with with dots (Dinamo) you should film yourself performing this routine in as close to the settings you perform as possible.

If most of your events are for children's birthday parties in houses... this will not make as much difference... but still maters. However if you perform for fairs and festivals on a large stage and the audience is a good distance from you... consider how clear the black on black appears to them.

If you use the white board and your costume is all white, etc., etc., etc.,

2. Consider being cleaner!
It baffles me how many "performers" I have seen take the stage with no thought of how their props look to the audience and Dinamo / What's next is no different. If you get up on stage and the sun hits your board and you have not invested the time before each show to wipe your board clean of all smears (finger oils, dirt, etc.) this looks terrible and puts your show down when a little cleaning can enhance your presence (It is amazing what women pick up when they watch your show).

There are other points I can make about performing this classic... hopefully others will fill in blanks where I stopped or add to what I have started.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

Now about Matthew Johnson's "C-ing Spots" routine.

"I invested in Matthew Johnson's "Monkey Business" lecture notes - - They are very concise, 100% solid, pure, juicy Angus beef!

Unlike many lecture notes which are filled with unnecessary fluff and no practical use for the "tricks" they are describing, with his "Monkey Business" lecture notes Matthew has hit a triple home run out of the ball park!!!

There are no stones left unturned and the real-world applications are obvious - - instantly. Look, as a full time entertainer (over 450 show each year), I do not want fluff, hype and theory about what 'might' be a good to great "trick" for a real-life lay audience. No, No, No...I constantly strive to give my customers (most are repeat) what we agree to and so much more.

That being said, if you are looking for real world, hands on, here is what I have used in live shows with much success and you can too...then you need to get Matthew Johnson's "Monkey Business" lecture notes.

P.S. I have never personally met Matthew...so do not think this testimonial is just one of his life-long friends giving him a shameless endorsement (Matthew never asked for this rave review from me). I strongly recommend you invest in you today!

P.S.S. JUST the "Cing Spots" routine is worth your small investment. Notice I said investment... it still boggles my mind to this day how cheap "magicians" are when it comes to delivering a quality show. I am careful with my funds and like others I try to invest wisely... but if your first thought is "I will write my own rhyme and save the money"... well unless you are poetic... and can make sense of what you write... OK. But why "try" to come up with something new... when Matthew has something which is testing in the REAL world in from of REAL audiences... Look this is not some of the cheap crap you see on sites like YouTube... Matthew is a REAL world performer, who is in the trenches with real people... his routine if you blend it with your style IS a crowd pleasser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Note: the first time I performed this during a four day fair it received ahhhs and applause... Matthew's patter mixed with the right on timing is PHENOMENAL.

***If you are lazy do not get it you do have to work to make it flow smooth in your act, but if you are willing to work on it... I sure to write a review similar to this shortly too!

PLEASE. Please. PLEASE.
Help us keep the integrity and ethics of the magic community pure... Do Not Buy This and put "your" routine of Matthew's hard work on YouTube (This does NOT "prove" how witty you are... Doing this only shows your lack of true knowledge of the history of the wonderful art of magic).

Even though you buy Matthew's notes and you have permission to use it for your personal use - - this does NOT give you permission to share it in print or film without the written consent of Matthew Johnson (If you do, this IS stealing from Matthew Johnson - Period!)
David Breth
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Dear David,

Thank you for the glowing review! That was very very kind of you & I am glad you enjoy the routine.

The "Monkey Business" notes that David made reference to are being replaced with PDF downloads at my online magic store. I plan on releasing my true worker material PDF's on my store & then as CD Roms at my lectures.

If you wish to check out the What's Next Board routine entitled "C'ing Spots" you can do so by visiting my store at:

http://www.thecorporatemagician.com/magicstore.html

I have other PDF's there in my worker series should you wish to check them out also.

Cheers,

Matt Johnson
Astrocity
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Astrocity
Hey All,
I just wanted to add my comment on Matthew's "Cing Spots" routine as well. It is a fantastic way to perform a "Dot's Next?" type of effect, very original and very entertaining. As I told Matthew in an email, while I don't think I am going to use his poem verbatim, it has sparked my creative juices to come up with a modification of his poem to use to perform with. Well done Matthew, and on a side note, you should check out his website, he has some fantastic material to offer any professional working Magician.

Thanks,
Hank
Hank Morfin
http://www.MorfinMagic.com
Hank Morfin Rocks!
mattjohnson
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
451 Posts

Profile of mattjohnson
Hank,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding my PDF "C'ing Spots" a routine I created for the What's Next Board/ Dinamo Board.

I am so glad to hear that you are enjoying the routine. I am also happy to hear that you will create your own poem around mine & that the poem has sparked your creativity.

To all those that have purchased my routine I would like to say thank you. Thank you also for your PM's, Emails & continued comments. They are always appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt Johnson

http://www.thecorporatemagician.com/magicstore.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » What's Next / Dots Next / Giant Spot Card (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL