The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Swami Mantra - Sam Dalal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I agree completely, Bill. But far be it from me to deny an "experience" to a young idiot.

SwamiMantra is a great book for IDEAS but not METHODS, if you know what I mean. Some of the methods in there can, and have, caused some pretty serious injuries over the years.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Re: Needle from eye to eye . . .
Let me be a "young idiot" for just a minute:)

I believe the routine is hardly dangerous, THOUGH it can be, absolutely. So can anything else.

Let's keep a few things in mind . . . it is hardly a "needle" in the first place.
So long as any seeking to perform this go through the trouble of finding appropriate bars to work with, the eye should suffer no damage whatsoever.

The biggest danger, as I see it, is working with unsanitary pieces. First off, why in the world wants to put something in there in the first place is beyond me, but I do it and I love it! I got the appropriate bars from another magician who could not bring himself to perform the routine. I have been using this thing for about 7 years or so, and have never had any problems in regular performances.

I keep the bars very clean and regularly disinfect them, they are stored in a sealed and clean container, and for formal shows, I wear latex gloves while inserting the piece. I am not performing for the medical community, and am not trying to fool them, so I guess I'm in the clear there.

If you are having problems finding appropriate bars to work with, IM me and I will tell you exactly where to find perfect ones, and pretty easy.

As with anything else, be safe and use proper discretion. If a bar had a barb on it, it could really scratch up the eye, and you would know very fast.

The Swami Mantra is a good book. As Mark above said best, use it for idea's and not methods. The Needle routine is the only one from the book I still perform, and many of the routines are quite dangerous. This one however is not going to kill you.

Regards,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
TT2, I am not talking to those who know what they are doing and who are in a position to decide whether to do such an effect, as you certainly are. I just don't want to see some kid (or anyone, for that matter) cause himself injury due to ignorance and misinformation. I am not even saying "Don't do it" to anyone who feels compelled to do it. Just learn it properly and take needed precautions.

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Absolutely Bill, and I have always respected both your sound thinking and approach to these things.

Nobody should really be putting things in their eyes, period. If you are going to do this routine, take care; learn to do it well, clean and with safety.

Many people have been asking me where to find appropriate bars. Instead of spending much time answering PM's, let me source them here.

Go to a clean and reputable piercing shop or boutique online or in the place you reside. There are many.

Ask them for however many bars you are requiring . . . tell them you want implant grade stainless steel LABRET POSTS. These are the right length, and they will also have various lengths to choose from. Choose what looks right to you. Refer to the SM for more info.

You don't want them too small in diameter. 10 gauge is about right. ALSO, let them know you only need the posts, and INTERNALLY THREADED ones. These are free of barbs and other hazardous flaws, and they are created in a sterile environment. They will be given to you disinfected.

In all cases, use common sense with this and other potentially hazardous routines.
Not many people use this routine, and it is quite strong in the right hands, er, eyes;)

Take care,
J.
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Eye things are VERY powerful, maybe even more than neck things. They should STILL be learned from someone who reeeeeeally knows the material, in person.

Ear things can be powerful also. I did a TV gig in Finland a few years ago. One of the other performers put clamps on his ears, hung a girl on a swing, and swung her. Whoooooeeee!
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
foxygrandma908
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of foxygrandma908
I ordered S/M and it is suppose to be on its way. I am very eager to get it. thanks for the review and the advice. what are some other good bizarre/mentalism books?
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
I just bought swami mantra.
A few months ago I had seen someone perform an effect where he swallowed a tiny round bead and pulled it out of his eye. He told me I could find it in the Swami Mantra however I do not see it. Can anyone point me to where it is in the book, if it even is in the book? Thanks

Durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Durgy,
Are you serious? Perhaps look a bit harder. Needle from eye to eye, mate.

j.
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Hey TT2.

I did indeed see needle from eye to eye but for some reason I assumed that a bead would have a different approach.

Has anyone here done anything with a small bead instead of a needle? What kind of bead did you use?

Durgy
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I do not prefer the bead as much as the stainless steel bars. The reason is, insertion seemed to be a lot more difficult and was not as comfortable.

Check out some local bead shops or hop online. Small glass beads worked well, but didn't FEEL right.

Peace,
J.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
P.S. Using beads only allows for about half the effect to be performed.
Now it has gone to swallowing a bead and pulling it from your eye (which makes absolutely NO SENSE WHATSOEVER), from being able to insert the bar IN FRONT of the spectator, moving it around the face and into the mouth, and then up again to finish.

Even this does not make sense, but I feel it is a bit better. More congruent.
Who swallows anything that comes out the eye? Nobody can relate to it. On the other hand, many can relate to a foreign object being caught in the eye and their attempts to "get it out".

I just so happen to move it down the face, and pull it from the mouth. Of course it is altogether easy to push it back in; and move it once more, finally receiving it to groans of disgust, laughter, high five's, profanity and violent stomping around.

This is just my take. Also, try getting the spectator INVOLVED a lot more. Include the squeamish ones first. Get a young lady to HELP move the bar through your face. Use suggestion, take up Building Blocks. They will swear they can see it moving and FEEL it through the skin. Very effective.

Regards,
Jerome.
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Thanks Jerome,

sorry I didn't get back to you for so long.
I'm just too scared to be trying this with any bars unless I see someone in person doing it and get help from them.

I just asked about beads since it's a lot smaller and seems easier then a bar an inch long.

Maybe one day I'll have guts to perform this.
I wear contacts all the time, I wonder if this will cause problems.

I guess I'll work on finding some glass beads first.

Durgy
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Look for a bar WAY smaller than 1 inch. It could be done, but ouch! That is quite large.

1/2 an inch or even a bit less is fine.

Good on you for being responsible and waiting to perform this one.

-J.

P.S. I don't think contacts would be a consideration, but I may be wrong. It has to do with the area being manipulated . . .
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Gladly, I bought Swami Mantra when it was in print by Kaufman & Co.
I have had special needles made for the trick everyone seems to talk about here but there are soooo many good things in that book that should be discussed that won't maim anyone. Luckily, I haven't hurt myself doing needles from eye to eye and there are too many other good effects to study and perform.
Maybe Richard Kaufman could be persuaded to re-release the book or something.

BTW-The eye/needle effect IS dangerous even if you are very careful. It doesn't take much for the needle to roll over or under and become difficult to remove or squeeze it under the skin toward the mouth for that matter. Probably some danger in puncturing an eyeball as well.
Roni
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of Roni
I perform the needle from the eye on a regular basis. Those that saw my lectures will remember me doing this effect as I tell the story of the Whare Woolf....
I had some witches faint...
Cheers
Roni
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I think Eddie Joseph had the best observation on the 'eye-poking trick' in his Magic and Mysteries of India:

"While you can always substitute another trick, you cannot substitute another eye."
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
KeokeSilver_Fang
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of KeokeSilver_Fang
Hmm, so I need to go to the sewing shop and buy the biggest gauge needle they have in stock in order to perform needle in eye? *Strolls on down to Hancock fabric*

Anyway the above I was only making a joke, it may have not have been Humerus *wink* and now everyone who has read this post has lost interest due to the cruddy puns but I wanted address the bean trick. Instead of using beans or beads, I use airsoft bbs.
First off the ones I use are a vibrant fluorescent yellow which means higher visibility and therefore play for a larger audience then a small silver rod. Also they are a bit smoother and easier to get into your eye. Now that is just my opinion and am not responsible for any child doing this at there home or friends home, do it at your favorite uncles home.

A wandering wolf,

Silverfang
JAlenS
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
1528 Posts

Profile of JAlenS
Richard, are you planning to re-release Swami-Mantra. I've had several offers for mine and of course I won't sell and it looks as though not many will.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Swami Mantra - Sam Dalal? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL