The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for Something (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheNightBringer89
View Profile
Special user
766 Posts

Profile of TheNightBringer89
Hi, I'm looking for a post, or a similiar story. The post I'm looking for was something about that a mentalist here had a friend who was a palm reader. This palm reader was convinced he had psychic powers because his clients told him he had a 85% success rate. The mentalist told him to give the clients readings, but to tell them the exact opposite of what the lines meant. The palm reader agreed and was amazed to find he had the same success rate.

If anyone can give me a link to that post, or if they have or know of a similar story I would be very grateful for it. Thanks.
"Dreams are born of imagination, fed upon illusions, and put to death by reality."

It doesn't matter if you're right or wrong,
If you're not like the others then you don't belong.
jimtron
View Profile
Inner circle
2039 Posts

Profile of jimtron
From The Joe Nickell Files: Psychics:

Quote:
Ray Hyman, a psychology professor and CSICOP Fellow used to do some palm-reading and he was so good and so accurate he began to think maybe there was something to it! Then a friend suggested "Why don't you do an experiment where, instead of telling people what the lines in their hand are actually supposed to be, tell them the opposite and see what happens?" And again, it worked very well anyway! Because what you're doing is telling people things, and they're interpreting that to their own situation.

I believe James Randi did something kind of similar, where he gave 12 people representing each sign of the zodiac, their horoscope. They all said it was very accurate; however, all of the horoscopes were exactly the same.
Kaylan
View Profile
Special user
CT
758 Posts

Profile of Kaylan
Very interesting! If you're looking for more info on palmistry (is that how you say it?) then check out some of John Riggs' work. He's the man!

Kaylan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Looking for Something (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL