The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Spray painting coins (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Does anyone have any experience spray painting coins? I've seen some coins that are colored, gold, etc and I'm assuming they were plated. They tend to be on the expensive side. I'd love to find a spray that works well on metal and is durable so that I could make my own.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4844 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Regular spary paint will easily chip off the metal coins. I would think that the electrostatic powder type industrial painting technologies would produce an excellent result. Plating would give the most uniform finish.
http://www.servicemagic.com/article.show......343.html
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Yeah, that's my fear. Maybe if no one posts here soon that they've done it, I'll buy some paint made for metal and give er a try. (and post the results)
Paul Arthur
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of Paul Arthur
A Rustoleum type with a clear sealer on top should hold up fairly well...
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Bsears,
My hotel recently did some powder painting and it actually wasn't too expensive. I'll be you could call your local plant and ask them when they'll be spraying a certain color. You could drop by, lay down a dozen half dollars, and they'd probably charge you a few bucks. If you're nice, they might even do it for free. I got an old square circle painted for free that way.
Best luck!
haywire
View Profile
Special user
Philadelphia
760 Posts

Profile of haywire
I found some gold metallic spray paint at my color home depot. That and a coat or two of clear coat really looks great. I use gold quarters for a midas touch sort of routine, show the coin regular, throw it up in the air, and its turned to gold right before their eyes.

I wouldn't pay for plated coins, painted ones look great if you take your time
and select the right paint, which is easy to find at almost any home or hardware store...

Steven
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11160 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I have not tried it, but this thought just occurred to me... What about gold leaf burnished onto the coin, followed by a clear sealer?

~michael
~michael baker
The Magic Company
bsears
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
1035 Posts

Profile of bsears
Ok so maybe this is do-able. I should be making a trip to the hardware store sometime this week (I hope). Anyway, once I get some coins made up, I'll post my results.
kaytracy
View Profile
Inner circle
Central California
1793 Posts

Profile of kaytracy
Depending on how many and what you want them plated with, as well as what the base metal of the coins are, you might look into having them plated, or doing it yourself.
A small scale operation for electroplating can be done easily- rio Grande jewelery supply sells some nice gear, some more expensive than others.
OR look to a jewelery class at the local JC or such, they might be able to help you out rather cheap!
(I used to silver plate stuff all the time with old exhausted photo fixer, even without the 9vt battery!
k
Kay and Tory
www.Bizarremagick.com
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Bsears:

Some of the most realistic "metal" looking paints can be found at hobby or model shops.

Take a look at Testors Model Master paints. They come in brass, silver, aluminum, copper, chrome and gold colors. Testors' Model Master paints are suppose to replicate metal finishes and are considered so realistic that they are claimed by the manufacturer to exactly match corresponding U.S. Government Federal Standard (FS) military colors.

Tamiya is another company that sells realistic "metal" looking paints that can be found at hobby and model shops. These paints might be what you are looking for.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Spray painting coins (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL