We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Beginer seeks advice! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Hi, I am not experienced at all in the world of cups and balls and the chop cup, could anyone tell me difference between them, and also am I best starting out with a combo set or just a chop cup, or just cups and balls,
thanks,
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Chop cup is a one cup routine and takes LITTLE skill (except the final load). The cups and balls, non combo, will give you a great learning tool for sleight-of-hand and misdirection that will be valuable throughout your lifetime.

If you want something to get into your shows quick, get a Morrissey chop cup. Then, if your on a tight budget the Bazaar de Magia copper cups are the best you can get at a price.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Although related (they are both cups, and both tricks use balls, but after that the similarity pretty much ends)they are really two separate tricks.

If you want to try both, I suggest starting out with a basic chop cup and a separate Cups and Balls set. The combo sets are designed for more complicated cup and ball routines that use the chop feature to accomplish some of the effect. If you're starting out, don't confuse yourself just go with the normal cups. That should keep you busy for 30-40 years or so.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Ok, I will just get cups and balls, I am more into sleight of hand than gimmicks anyway,

any DVD's you recomend?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
All of them. As many as you can get your hands on. That way you don't lock yourself in to one particular set of moves and you can really open up and make the effect yours.

Start with the book and DVDs from Michael Ammar. He teaches all the basic moves. The book is written in a modular fashion where you can pick and choose your sleights and build your own routine, and the DVDs compliment the book by letting you see the moves being taught.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I second Dave's recommendation on the Ammar DVD's; in my opinion they are one of the best resources currently available on the Cups & Balls. Even though they assume no prior C&B knowledge and therefore are great for beginners, there is also plenty of advanced material there to keep even experienced workers busy for a long time.

There is a vast variety of C&B books, tapes, routines, etc., but the Ammar DVD's are very comprehensive and a good value for the money. SETHB
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Any good ones on penguin magic, (uk) just because I have a voucher as they sent something late,
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Penguin carries Carl Andrew's "Table Hopping Cups and Balls." It's a two cup routine, but the moves are there.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Ok thanks,
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Get the book by Dai Vernon on cups and balls. That's all you would need. Although the Stevens Video/DVD gives you a great variety of styles.

Then again... INVENT your own way.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Is it essential to have special cups and balls at the moment or can I practise with normal cups for now?
I am on a VERY tight budget as I am going on holiday soon,
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
A basic set of Bazar de Magia cups shouldn't set you back much more than £20 or so.

If that's out of your range, you can work on the concept with just about anything that stacks well and leaves you enough gap between the cups to hold the balls.

Balls can be as simple as wadded up pieces of aluminum foil.

Check out Bill Palmer's website http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com and see if you can find something similar in your kitchen or garden shed (think flower pots) to work with.
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1377 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
I'd suggest either putting your voucher towards the Penguin cups in copper (they cost £54, so you'll have to find an extra £34), or get the Bazar cups as Dave has suggested. Magibox (www.magicbox.uk.com) have the Bazar cups for just £12.99 - and they're an excellent company to deal with. The obvious downside of the second option is that you can't use that voucher for the cups.

Whatever you do, DON'T be tempted into getting those Penguin mini brass cups for £18. Those things are tiny - almost as small as a thimble - and are virtually useless.

Happy shopping!

Richard
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
John Bowlin
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
827 Posts

Profile of John Bowlin
Normal cups generally will pinch and lock on you without careful handling. Really hard to do any type of stack moves with them. I would suggest just getting the inexpensive aluminum Bazar cups if that's all you can afford right now. At least they give you a decent idea of how the cups should handle. That is what I started with and they served me well for years till I decided I wanted to actually make money at my hobby.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I forgot: Penguin also has inexpensive Aluminum and Copper cups similar to Bazar de Magia. You might want to use your voucher for them instead.
joker 55
View Profile
Special user
England.
711 Posts

Profile of joker 55
Well penguin are out of stock, and I live around the corner from magicbox so I think I will get the bazar cups,
jdbach
View Profile
Regular user
United States
174 Posts

Profile of jdbach
On the DVD note...suggest the David Regal cups and balls on the second dvd of his three dvd set from L&L. David uses a unique combination with the Adams set. Smile

Thank you for the opportunity.
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
Again, I agree with Mr. Biro. The Vernon cups and balls routine is probably one of the finest creations in magic. A GREAT place to start. Even if you decide to go to another routine you now have the background to give you confidence. Just don't try to learn the Wand Spin from the manuscript. Virtually impossible to do. Get someone, anyone who knows it to show you! Best,
Brad Burt
Jeff Dial
View Profile
Special user
Kent, WA
532 Posts

Profile of Jeff Dial
If you are not ready to make the big jump into the full cups and balls try John Carney's "Fruit Cup" from Carneycopia. It is a one cup routine with a rolled up dollar bill that ends up in a lemon.

I do the routine with the cup and ball and a two lemons as the final load. It was a real confidence builder.
"Think our brains must be too highly trained, Majikthise" HHGG
MikeTN
View Profile
New user
TN, USA
5 Posts

Profile of MikeTN
I have always used a standard set. Recently, I purchased a set of combo cups.
What book, video, or DVD would you recommend?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Beginer seeks advice! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL