The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Old vaudeville stunt with cards and eggs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Latig0
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Latig0
Hi there fellows. Yesterday nite I was watching Revelations nº17 and among all the fabulous things Vernon tells,he describes an old stunt using a tray, eggs and glasses.

This caught my attention inmediately for I had read something like this being done by Ricky Jay in an old t.v. show. I felt like giving it a try and came here searching for information.

I found that in this thread ->http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=86396&forum=6&23&PHPSESSID=34e6ef1b9fc02d0ad5a1a8667993c5b6
Danny Hustle mentions it. He says he saw it in Billy McComb's book "25 years wiser".

Could anybody provide some further pointer on the subject? I have not got that book. Maybe some _clear_ instructions on how to do it or a link to the explanation or description will be enough.

Thanks very much for your time in advance.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Hola Latigo! Como esta?

Try this. Use a normal drinking glass and fill it about 75% full of water. Lay a playing card flat over the mouth of the glass. Stand a cardboard tube (the center of a roll of toilet paper is perfect for this part) on the center of the playing card. Finally, place a boiled egg into the mouth of the tube. Do not force it in. Just lightly set it there.

So when you are ready, there will be an egg, tube, and playing card all balanced on top of a glass of water.

Here's the trick. Quickly snap away the card by striking it on the edge. Hit it very hard and very fast. Make it snap completely away from the glass by making it fly sideways. See what happens next. It's pure physics. The force of snapping at the card will also take away the paper tube. The paper pieces will land several feet away, and the egg will fall straight down into the water.

It seems impossible at first, but once you learn how to correctly snap away the card, the rest takes care of itself.

As for working it on the street, about 20 years ago I saw someone using a single large piece of heavy paper covering 4 glasses with 4 eggs falling at the same time. His entire show was 20 minutes of build-up, with a 2-second long grand finale. Man could that guy talk!

Suerte!

Chance
Jim Wilder
View Profile
Special user
Birmingham, AL
954 Posts

Profile of Jim Wilder
Someone I am very close with, and who taught me much as well, used to do something very similar to what Chance has described here.

The way I saw it was set up as described above, but he used a broom. He would stand on the bottom part of the broom, pull it back and then let go. The broom would hit just right and the egg would fall. This amazed me as a child.

Thanks for the description Chance.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The Eggs & Glasses a perfected presentation by Val Andrews.
I think Jasper Maskelyne was the originator of this with Tommy Cooper useing it as his signature effect for many years.

I used a sheet of perspex and four rolled up playing cards with the glasses beneath filled a third with water to break the fall of the eggs.

Yes I have used this on the streets but swapped it for the table cloth gag which is a similar type thing but with more scope and patter potential.
Ken
Latig0
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Latig0
Yessssssssssss!!!

Guys thanks very very much!!!

I love this board man! Smile

Chance amigo thank you very much! I'm boiling eggs already!!!

I have a little doubt regarding the snapping action, but I'll clear it when I put my hands on this experiment! Smile

Another thing is, do you guys know what the people who performed this stunt talked about? I honestly don't imagine what a suitable patter for this trick would be like.

Thanks again to you all!

Latigo
Magicpitch
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Magicpitch
I think there is a similar marketed effect by Royal Magic done with beans. The item you buy for about $3 is a platic ring about 3" in diameter, with a string attached to it. You take a beer bottle, or one with a small neck, stand the ring upright on the top of the bottle, then put a bean on top of the ring. You smack the ring with your hand and the bean lands in the bottle every time. The sting is used to keep you from having to fetch the ring after you smack it.

I think it's called "Bean in the Bottle" if I recall correctly. Sounds like the same principle Chance is speaking of. Creative folks, back then, weren't they?
Trying to do the right thing, one customer at a time!
http://www.magicpitch.com/
We weed out the junk so you don't have to!
Visit our Blog at http://magicpitch.blogspot.com/
Latig0
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Latig0
Magicpitch man thanks you too!

You're right on the money. The trick is sold here: http://jcrmagic.com/product.aspx?productno=2585

Yeah, studying the old stuff is a very good thing to do.

Last nite I dreamt of Ricky Jay. I was at his place. That's all I remember. I think I'm obsessed with this guy.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
It is also in Malini and his magic. Max Malini closed his show with it. It is also something I have been working on and was hoping everybody else was going to ignore. Smile

That's what I get for running my mouth. Billy McComb's work on it is great and if you can get a copy of 25 years wiser it is one of the greatest books on magic for the working professional ever published in my opinion.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Dan Harlan does it on one of his MINDBOGGLERS dvd's volume #4 restaurant riddles.

Danny, what makes the Malini or Billy McComb's presentation so different?
Tommy Cooper dod it also in his show.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Emil Jarrow, one of Malini's contemporaries had a sensational presentation for this effect.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Riffraff could you elaborate?
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Jarrow used this effect as his closer.
As he prepared for the trick, a spectator would heckle him saying that those were not real eggs. Jarrow invited the 'spectator' up to the stage to inspect the eggs.
The performer would hand the spectator a glass and break one of the eggs into the glass. Then Jarrow would lift the bottomless glass and show the egg on the heckler's hand.
Ref.: The Bill in Lemon Book by David Charvet
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
226 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
I let a kid do this in some shows but use water balloons in the glasses.
You still get the suspense of a possible mess but if the kid does have a problem it's a quick clean up and reset to let them try again.
Owen Anderson
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
It's in How To Play With Your Food by Penn and Teller also.
Latig0
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Latig0
Thanks guys for all the info once again.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21983 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic sold this stunt for years. http://www.abbottmagic.com I think it is also discribed in the Tarbell Course if memory serves me correctly.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I used to perform this stunt a long time ago. I had someone record a voice-over for me, and the voice would describe what I was going to do, how difficult it was, etc, but it kept interupting me just as I was about to hit the tray.

I used a clear acrylic tray, 4 heavy acrylic glasses, playing cards for the tubes, and 4 eggs.

Geoffrey Durham performs this on the Best of Magic series.

Joe H
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I once saw somebody prepare the whole set up on a tray. then he lifted the tray and balanced in on a stick. then he took a secon stick andhit the tray away.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2696 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-03-07 18:24, Chance wrote:
Hola Latigo! Como esta?
As for working it on the street, about 20 years ago I saw someone using a single large piece of heavy paper covering 4 glasses with 4 eggs falling at the same time. His entire show was 20 minutes of build-up, with a 2-second long grand finale. Man could that guy talk!

Suerte!

Chance

I remember Dom Deluise doing that on the Tonight show once. He set up the situation, put the card over the glasses, set up the eggs said he was going to hit the card with a broom and make the eggs go in the glass. Then he took the broom, swung it back like it was a baseball bat and everybody freaked out. At the last minute, he put the broom next to the table, stepped on the bristles and pulled the handle back and when he let go, voila exactly as you described four eggs in four glasses.
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
jkvand
View Profile
Special user
Johnstown, PA
658 Posts

Profile of jkvand
This trick is also described very well in the "Klutz Book of Magic" available at many book stores like Barnes and Noble, Borders, etc. I use that trick in almost every show, and people love it! One of the things I do to add to the effect is use a lota bowl to fill the glasses with water, it works as kind of a running gag.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Old vaudeville stunt with cards and eggs (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL