The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Old vaudeville stunt with cards and eggs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
220 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Man-o-man does this thread bring back memories...

I did this trick for years and had a great build up where it got the crowd yelling and screaming when the four eggs dropped in.

Now catch this... Since I had been doing it for years at the same pitch's, I decided to beef it up a little... Four buckets, a large square of plywood (with 2 ropes at two corners to pull the board away), 4 PVC tubes (about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and 2.5 feet long), and 4, 8 pound bowling balls. The buckets were filled 3/4 full of water and when the balls would drop the water would shoot 10 feet in the air. A GREAT bit but a pain in the tail to tote around.

I sold the setup and "performance rights" to a 3 person juggling team. It took all three of them to drag all that crap around. I did it for 2 seasons and then I came to my senses. Why do I think of doing things like this. I'm back to doing it with eggs and get the same reaction. Go figure.

Thanks again for the memories of to much substance abuse...
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Latig0
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Latig0
Thank YOU bropaul !!! Smile
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2040 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
The first time I sore this performed was by my hero Tommy Copper, now he used perpex tray four eggs but I am sure they where not boiled. Tommy was a star of screw up's, not much of his magic worked but it was very funny. So this would be set up to the side of his show and in between tricks that did not work he would come back to the eggs and threat to do it. At the end of his piece/show he would do it to an outrageous applause.
Mario
PS Can any one hear confirm that they don't boil there egg's?
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I didn't boil the eggs. You don't need to. One time one of the eggs hit the side of the glass and cracked a little bit and the egg leaked into the glass. I heard someone say , "They're not hard boiled!" I'm not sure how you could work that into a routine, maybe pretend to hear someone say "They're hard boiled, then grab one and crack it into a glass.

To be honest, I used it as a climax to a juggling act so it would have been anti-climatic to start proving things. It would be like stopping the applause to prove the fruit is real in a cups and balls routine.

Hey BroPaul, that's a great story. I remember carting around too much stuff when I was younger, but your 4 bowling balls, buckets, plywood, and PVC tubes has got me beat by a long shot. Geez!

Joe H
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
220 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Joe H...

The funny thing was that I usually had to haul around a 5 gallon container of water to fill the buckets up with. After the "Splash", I had to go find water to do it again.

To top it off I did it for two seasons. I think I did it because I liked the spash... Just on ol' sixties thing I guess...

LatigO: Your welcome... But be sure and find a kid or two that likes magic and you can get them to cart that stuff around for you. Good luck.
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Quote:
On 2006-03-08 00:29, Danny Hustle wrote:
Billy McComb's work on it is great and if you can get a copy of 25 years wiser it is one of the greatest books on magic for the working professional ever published in my opinion.

Best,

Dan-

But it doesn't have the egg and cards bit. I would have bet money that was where I found it but I just checked for Robert and it ain't there.

I believe it might be on "The professional touch" CD.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Joe Howard
View Profile
Loyal user
The Peoples Republic of Massachusetts
204 Posts

Profile of Joe Howard
I think you're right Dan, I believe It's in the Professional Touch series. I have the book, and if I recall correctly, he describes the stunt. He also tells a funny story about his wife doing it blindfolded.

Joe H
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
631 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
The Professional Touch, P. 27.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Can you still buy the printed version of this thing? I would love to get a copy. I have it on audio.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Val Andrews booklet put out by Unique(Harry Stanley) Unless there are reprints of this due to it`s original frail form(Mine is just about hanging together)I doubt if you could get a readable copy today.
Samuel French Ltd,52 Fitzroy Street,London W1T 5JR could be worth a ring.

Ken.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Thanks Ken!

Best,

Dan-

ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1470 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Yes it is! Thanks a million Robert!

Best,

Dan-

Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24221 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-03-12 00:49, bropaul wrote:
Man-o-man does this thread bring back memories...

I did this trick for years and had a great build up where it got the crowd yelling and screaming when the four eggs dropped in.

Now catch this... Since I had been doing it for years at the same pitch's, I decided to beef it up a little... Four buckets, a large square of plywood (with 2 ropes at two corners to pull the board away), 4 PVC tubes (about 3 or 4 inches in diameter and 2.5 feet long), and 4, 8 pound bowling balls. The buckets were filled 3/4 full of water and when the balls would drop the water would shoot 10 feet in the air. A GREAT bit but a pain in the tail to tote around.

I sold the setup and "performance rights" to a 3 person juggling team. It took all three of them to drag all that crap around. I did it for 2 seasons and then I came to my senses. Why do I think of doing things like this. I'm back to doing it with eggs and get the same reaction. Go figure.

Thanks again for the memories of to much substance abuse...

Did you sell it to the Flaming Idiots?
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
220 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Bill:

That would have been a great idea... It is the kind of stuff that they would do. It ended up in the hands of the Dew Drop Jugglers from Minnesota. They have done a lot with it, but I noticed that last season they wern't doing it much. Wonder why.

In any form eggs, balls, bowling balls, it doesn't matter. It's a good bit and audiences love it.

I haven't done it in a few years, but I think it's time to dust it off and put it back in the show. Thank you for this thread...
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Old vaudeville stunt with cards and eggs (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL