The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Collapsible Tubes for Illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
How do you make collapsible cubes, circles and squares for easy pack up for your Tube illusions like Cube Zag, Jam, etc? Is this better made in wood, plastic or metal? Do you use pin hinges or screws?
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
I'd say you're better off with bolts or loose pin hinges instead of screws- screws will eventually wear out the wood after constant assembly/disassembly, and it's much easier to replace bolts and hinges- with screws you'd need to replace much of the illusion.

As for wood, plastic, or metal, it's a question of cost vs. weight vs. durability. High quality wood should last as long as metal or plastic. Metal is heavier, though you can use thinner sheets (so it's sometimes necessary). Plastic is probably the lightest, but not as scratch-resistant (though solid colors may not show scratches as readily as scratched painted wood), and definately the most expensive to work with. I personally use wood, but my resources are more limited than some (I don't have a few thousand dollars to spend building an illusion... yet.) I'm sure some of the more experienced builders may have better advice.
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Ensign Red Shirt... don't beam down to that planet!!!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
For collapsible cubes, circles and squares, I would use a very lightweight plastic, since you want to be able to collapse these materials. Go down to your local fabric or crafts store and look around. I don't know what they are used for but I have seen see-through lightweight plastic collapsible cubes, circles, triangles, rectangles and squares at these stores.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Collapsible Tubes for Illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL