The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » No Tear, Torn and Restored Newspaper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
RandyM
View Profile
Special user
579 Posts

Profile of RandyM
For those that have this could you please give me your thoughts? It looks good except I don't have any clue at present how to come up with an appropriate patter. I'm sure if I get this that something will come to me. In any event , I'll await some responses from those that have it.

Thanks
RandyM
AEdwards
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
106 Posts

Profile of AEdwards
I like it. It's a different twist on the torn and restored news paper.
http://www.antonedwards.net

Shattering Reality
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The “No Tear, Torn and Restored Newspaper” is essentially the Anderson Torn And Restored. That is, the routine/trick starts with the paper already torn and ends with an Anderson “flash restoration”.

There is also a clever new ‘base’ for the gimmick that makes ditching the dirty laundry fairly easy.

I replaced the Anderson version with this version some years ago. It simply speed up the act.

It is recommended that you tell as joke or two as if you are reading it from one of the papers. For example you might read a funny headline off one sheet, a summary of an interesting story with a punch line from another, and maybe an interesting coupon from another. It is recommended that you simply write these bits right on the paper it self to help you remember.

Frankly, you could do the whole thing to music. Find a pile of torn newspaper bits on your table, look confused as you pass them hand to hand, shrug, snap your fingers, and “flash” the newspaper is restored! Page through it as you walk off or simply move on to the next trick (this one is difficult to follow as it is so strong!).

You could use it as a running gag throughout the act. Have the pile of papers on your table, pick them up from time to time (between tricks) looking confused, count them from hand to hand and then put them down and do the next trick. Go back and repeat between each trick. Finally, snap your fingers and restore the paper, bow off!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I think in the instrucion they mentioned something about start with the newspaper not torn yet. But never try it
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
The instructions do explain that one can start with the newspaper intact if desired. The strength of this version is that the paper is already torn and handled fairly freely.

If I were going to start with the newspaper intact and then do the torn and restore I'd probably use the Anderson version.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Midway
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Midway
I really like this effect. In my patter I begin by saying how much I like Jay Leno's Headline routine where he reads humorous quotes from various papers. I say I like his routine so much I have been cutting out these type of gaffs from my own newspapers. I then go through several of the pieces "reading" the jokes I have cut out. (there are a ton of these on the internet). I then say my wife complains about this since I leave these pieces all over the house and when she goes to read the newspaper she finds holes in it where I have previously cut out articles. Whenever she complains I then restore the newspaper for her and then I do the move and restore the paper with no trace of the pieces I read from. Like I said I really like this effect and get great reactions from it.
Brandon Delgado
View Profile
Loyal user
St. Louis, Missouri
293 Posts

Profile of Brandon Delgado
That's a nice presentation, Midway. Complements the effect perfectly.

Brandon
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
Here's a thought:

"Do you have dogs? We just got a dog a couple of weeks ago, and I'm training him to bring in the newspaper. In fact, he's so good, he brings it in, and puts it in this nice little box so I can find it when I want it. Here, look . . .
(show pieces)
I'm gonna kill that dog."
Proceed with effect.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I use the No Tear T&R Newspaper also. Like Harry, I would probably use the Anderson T&R if time were not a factor. However, theme park gigs require 6 shows per day sometimes so the No Tear version is much more practical for me.
Mister Mystery
indomagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1143 Posts

Profile of indomagic
I agree No Tear is ready to use anytime.
MagicMan
View Profile
New user
United States
21 Posts

Profile of MagicMan
I really enjoy using my No Tear Torn and Restored. Unlike the Anderson tear, which has to be re=-made after every performance, the No Tear has to be remade every 30-40 performances. (Redoing the newspaper is easy. if I can make it well, then I'm betting that you certainly can.)

Highly recommended. Make sure you justify why the newspaper is already ripped though!
Magically yours,
Harrison Greenbaum (http://www.harrisonmagic.com)

"The art of astonishment, when pushed into the wildest edge of edges, is the art of doing real magic...Tricks are tools. Astonishment is real." - Paul Harris
Ireland
View Profile
Loyal user
Regina, Sask. Canada
217 Posts

Profile of Ireland
I don't think you can beat the Anderson version....yes, it takes more time to set up but you use the paper of the community....that day's if you wish. It doesn't take that long to set up.....I only use it when it fits the group I'm performing for. For example, I use it for weddings...some quick prelim gags, funny comments about the content ( whether there or not!) and then after the ripping ( more effective than starting with a ripped paper) I use the analogy that not all days will be like this one for the couple...there will be days when they feel 'ripped off', separated,even disconnected from their very selves, torn apart from one another....like this newspaper....but with the support of their faith, their friends and family gathered here....they will be restored, they will be put back together...just like this newspaper...etc.
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
No tear is Excellent do a search on the Café & you will find some funny gag lines .
ekins
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
513 Posts

Profile of ekins
I use both the Anderson and the No Tear version. I use the Anderson tear for more of a standard show. I've used the No Tear version as part of a lecture in my "real world" job of computer software.

I started by saying that I wanted to introduce my presentation with a newspaper article that I found and pull out a scrap of newspaper and realize that it's not the article I was looking for. I pull out another piece and see it's not the right one either. I start pulling out several pieces looking through them and finally give up, telling them that I shouldn't have torn it out because I remember where it was in the original paper. Then I do the restore. It's totally unexpected and gets a great reaction. At that point I switch to a slide in my PowerPoint presentation that I made to look like an article cut from a newspaper that introduces my presentation. It's gone over very well and people talk about it after the lecture.

-Brian
ssucahyo
View Profile
Inner circle
1955 Posts

Profile of ssucahyo
I also like using this effect, no need refill or difficult preparation.
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
This is in my top 5 magic effect that I have ever bought.

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
As I stated in my last post do a search the one liners are so funny . Great entertainment you have them laughing before the restoration catches them off gaurd . Sample : A toilet seat was stolen from the police station police have nothing to go on ! Parachute for sale slight stain only used once ! Guitar for sale no strings attached ! the last piece I say here's my favorite the Magician (Your Name ) magically restores the newspaper !
Tophatter
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Where can this be pruchased?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
zgecko
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of zgecko
Cfrancis,

I purchased it from MJM Magic: http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/no-tear-newspaper-p-2634.html

Tom
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
As with the Anderson T&R Newspaper, are you able to "leaf through" the newspaper pages after the restoration to "prove" the restoration? Can the newspaper be re-folded (like a normal newspaper) after the restoration?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » No Tear, Torn and Restored Newspaper (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL