The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ammar DVD Coin video - error reading (new batch?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

deuces
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
63 Posts

Profile of deuces
Well I finally got around to ordering the Ammar Coin Magic DVD.... I excitedly put the dvd in my drive only to come upon some freezes upon some of the tricks!

When the dvd teaches you how to do a classic palm, I get this abrubt shriek in sound and everything just freezes. I can skip over the section but it always happens in that part (plus I noticed it happen in another couple spots but I forget the exact point). Smile

I got the DVD from Ammar's site (shopping.yahoo) and I remember them telling me they just got a new shipment (Nov 18th or so?). I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem (perhaps something wrong with this "new" batch?) or is it just my Pioneer DVD player. No scratches are visible on the disc. Smile

Thanks

Darwin
"Hockey eh?"
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3025 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Do you have access to a friend's DVD player or a computer with a DVD ROM? The only way to tell if it is your disc or your player is to try it in another player. I have a movie that always stutters at a certain point on my DVD player, but if I use it in my laptop, the problem does not exist, so I assume my DVD player is the issue, not the disc. Ammar's Intro to coins DVD works fine for me in both my player and laptop.

Dan
Click to visit:
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
As Dan said, try another dvd player if you have access to one. Also check the disc, do you see any visible scratches or blobs?

No matter how it works out for you I wouldn't worry, if the dvd is defective I am sure that Ammar will gladly replace it.
deuces
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
63 Posts

Profile of deuces
yup, my next course of action will be to test it on another dvd player... just don't have access to one at the moment.
"Hockey eh?"
Joedy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Joedy
Are there any scratches on the bottom of the DVD? These can sometimes cause erratic behavior.
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
I found the same problem with several recently delivered copies of the Ammar "Intro to Coin Magic" DVDs to our shop in Melbourne, Australia. From your description it sounds like the exact same problem at the exact same spot in the programme. So far, I've been able to get around it by upgrading to the very latest version and patch of PowerDVD for my own PC and I haven't (thankfully!) had any customers complaining (and we've sold quite a few of this title down here!). I haven't seen the problem on a "real" DVD player at all. Only on the PC DVD drive. It is a curious problem though! If you're using PowerDVD (or any other PC driven DVD drive/software), try upgrading to the very latest and see if it doesn't fix the problem for you too. Cheers!
deuces
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
63 Posts

Profile of deuces
Sneakers,

Hmm, you've got me curious now. I've seen 5 EXACT spots where the thing stops and almost kills my ears with the loud tone:

Total Time index mm:ss
4:58,
5:54,
32:45,

Anyone else? I will hopefully try this out on a dvd-rom drive but i only have my one dvd player which kind of sucks. I'm just trying to figure out if any of the dvd's they have would work properly on my player.

Darwin
"Hockey eh?"
Sneakers
View Profile
Regular user
Melbourne, Australia
106 Posts

Profile of Sneakers
Hi Deuces,

I'll check this out with my own copy once again (sorry, I was knocked off line by our local telco for a couple of days so I'm late getting back to you). I'm fairly certain that I didn't see the problem on my PlayStation2 nor 3 different "normal" DVD players. Only on my PC DVD drive. But as I said, when I upgraded to the latest software, it has since gone away. I'll look again and post later this evening.

Cheers!
deuces
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Ontario
63 Posts

Profile of deuces
just wanted to post a follow up to this thread in case someone finds it usesful.

I've since contacted Ammar's shop and they sent me a replacement DVD (quick service by the way, nice!).

Unfortunately the dvd replacement has the same problems on my dvd player. So it's definitely a compatiblity issue. I also noticed this thread that may be related:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......1&15

Please do not mis-interpret this message a very few people may have problems running the dvd (probably older dvd players). Other than the freezes i've been happy with the content on the dvd itself.
"Hockey eh?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Ammar DVD Coin video - error reading (new batch?) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL