The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need help gluing plastic to glass! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

freefallillusion1
View Profile
Elite user
Cincinnati, OH
446 Posts

Profile of freefallillusion1
I need to glue a plastic lip-stick cap to the inside of a glass vase. My first thought was silicone, and I do similar things all the time with my hot glue gun. So, I attempted it that way (after first scratching the glass and plastic to rough it up) and it worked fine, until I filled the vase with cold liquid. I'm assuming the cold made the vase change size slightly. The cap, along with it's attached glue blob, popped off. Would this work if I use actual silicone, say, aquarium sealant? Thanks!
BSutter
View Profile
Special user
Sitting on a pile of
582 Posts

Profile of BSutter
Try it. The silicone may have enough elasticity to withstand the expansion and contraction. If that fails, and if you are attaching the cap to the bottom of the vase, drill a hole in the vase and cap (yes you can drill glass)use a machine screw and nut to secure the cap to the vase, prior to securing the assembly apply silicone to the mating surfaces so the silicone acts as a sealer to prevint liquid migration.

Bill
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Seaside, CA
749 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Look for a product called E6000. It comes in a tube, it make less mess than epoxy, and holds really well.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
gerard1973
View Profile
Special user
Michigan, U.S.A.
688 Posts

Profile of gerard1973
Freefallillusion1:

Buy some Gorilla Glue. It is a polyurethane glue that will bond Wood, Stone, Metal, Ceramics & More. It is 100% Waterproof. Gorilla Glue is probably the strongest and most versatile glue on the market today.
"Confusion is not magic."
Dai Vernon
London
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A.
768 Posts

Profile of London
I was going to say Gorilla glue... but gerard took the words from my head. But still it is good stuff. It can seem exspensive depending on what size bottle you get , but it takes very little to hold and last a long time. Go with the gorilla glue.
THOUGHTfully,

LONDON
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Need help gluing plastic to glass! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL