The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Effects using gray code and hamming codes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
Hi all,
I am interested in effects using the gray code numbering system or hamming codes. I know elmsley in one of his books has a few effects called the liar matrix which is based on distance 3 hamming codes.
does anybody know about more effects, and could give references?
Nir
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2194 Posts

Profile of ddyment
The Café had some database problems and lost a day's worth of postings. Mine was one of them... I had observed that Leo Boudreau's books (such as Skullduggery and Psimatrika) are filled with effects based on Gray codes (and some other related ideas). Unfortunately, they're out of print and difficult to find.

I have an interesting such effect (Shades of Gray) in the October 2002 special issue of Center Tear magazine.

... Doug
Doug Dyment's Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1143 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Just thought I'd mention that effects like these doesn't use Gray Codes as they only differ in a single position when you move to an adjecent codeword. DeBruijn Sequences on the other hand seems to be exactly what is used.

Leo's work on it absolutely rocks. Try to get your hands on his books.

/Tomas
Ulf Richter
View Profile
New user
Germany
51 Posts

Profile of Ulf Richter
My post was lost, too. There are some great routines using Gray codes in T.A. Waters' Mind, Myth & Magic (aptly titled Grayze, Grayce etc.).
Ulf
Alan Jackson
View Profile
Elite user
Cardiff, UK
432 Posts

Profile of Alan Jackson
There are examples (simple and not so simple) in "The Collected Works of Alex Elmsley".
There are 10 kinds of people: those who understand binary numbers, and those who don't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Effects using gray code and hamming codes (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL