The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » No adults present (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

senoj derfla
View Profile
New user
Australia
31 Posts

Profile of senoj derfla
I'm sure this has happened to many of you children's entertainers out there. I know a couple of clown friends of mine have had a scary experience. One being accused of "interfering" with a child. You are all set up for the show, the kids are sitting around waiting and the adults leave the room or area and let you get on with it. My question is do you carry on with your show, or do you insist on having at least two adults present? And how do you explain why you need to have an adult presence?
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
No parent, no show. I tell them point blank that a parent must be present and if they ask why I'll tell 'em that is the way it is. No pussy footing around.
Steve V
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
This should be dealt with in your pre-show arrangements, mail out confirmation, contract or whatever it is that you use...no adults = no show...this is a sad reality but that's the way it is...to do otherwise is to leave yourself open to potential problems...even a hint of a problem and this would be the end of your career as a kids show performer
MikeRaffone
View Profile
Special user
623 Posts

Profile of MikeRaffone
A "Tip Sheet for Parents" gets mailed out with every confirmation. Never had a problem.
Mike Perrello
DC Area's Leading Family Entertainment Expert
thegreatsantani
View Profile
New user
L.A.
57 Posts

Profile of thegreatsantani
Not only for your protection should there be an adult there but for the childrens as well, WE are not babysitters we are entertainers and are there to entertain. We are not able to watch 20+ children at the same time and should not be responsible should little Timmy be in the corner choking on a lollypop. or he sneeks out a door and gets run over.

My best advice is make your show fun for all ages not just the kids and then the adults will want to watch. If the adults are not there at the beginng (at least most of them) I get the kids to clap and yell when I count to 3. I do this quietly and even the most stuffy adult will come in to see what they missed.

TGS
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I don't even mention the idea of protection. I take the position that this is a special party for your child. And it's his/her special day. I demand that the parents are there to support the child. When I first started performing, I got really upset that I was up there with the child and he was having fun and his parents were in the other room or outside. Every once in a while you could see the birthday child looking out to see if their parents were looking.

Now I tell them, that I will perform a family show for the entire family and their guests. If they want me to do a show while they go out and do whatever they do (usually drink and smoke), I offer a babysitter for the children that charges a fraction of my fee. I make no bones about it. Just make sure the adults are entertained too.
Coram Deo
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Let me chime in to agree - take a lesson from the Boy Scouts (who have suffered in the past from accusations, some well-founded, all in need of preventing in the future): the rule is "two-deep leadership", TWO adults and not just one leader on any outing or activity.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I raised my two kids alone. That was scary enough!

OPC (Other Peoples' Children) are really scary.

No Parents: No Show. That is basic. (Even the doctor insists that the parents be there. But don't play doctor!)

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicbob116
View Profile
Inner circle
1523 Posts

Profile of magicbob116
Quote:
On 2006-03-11 21:44, Steven Steele wrote:
I don't even mention the idea of protection. I take the position that this is a special party for your child. And it's his/her special day. I demand that the parents are there to support the child. When I first started performing, I got really upset that I was up there with the child and he was having fun and his parents were in the other room or outside. Every once in a while you could see the birthday child looking out to see if their parents were looking.

Now I tell them, that I will perform a family show for the entire family and their guests. If they want me to do a show while they go out and do whatever they do (usually drink and smoke), I offer a babysitter for the children that charges a fraction of my fee. I make no bones about it. Just make sure the adults are entertained too.

Great point! I think parents will be more likely to respond to the idea that they should share the experience with their child on his/her "special day" than if you're demanding that they be there to "handle discipline problems" (or to provide an alibi as the case may be).
B. Robert Pulver

The "I Hate Card Tricks!" Book of Card Tricks Vol. 1, 2, and 3
Kards for Kids
Sticky Situations
Sleightly Wacky
magicbob116@yahoo.com
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The problem I find is that as a 'nice guy' making those sorts of demands makes me feel like a jerk.

I always DO make the demands (parents in the room, no sitting behind me, little ones need mum with them so they don't upset the show etc!) but I still feel like I'm breaking character to do it.

These days, I have a full list of conditions I send out so I minimise the stress!

The PERFECT Tricky Nick Magic Show!

The following are a few simple requirements for making your child’s birthday party perfect.

 A parent will need to be present at all times during the Tricky Nick show.

 The best place indoors in an area up against wall where no one can walk behind or beside the stage. Outdoor shows can lead to sunburnt children, magic tricks blowing away and rabbits escaping! The wall will help keep the children’s focus and, more importantly, keep my secrets!

 Since toddlers love to walk around, children under the age of three will need to be held by a parent during the show. Often, I can not see wandering toddlers and might trip over them.

 It is also best to wait until after the show to serve food and drink. Please avoid having balloons, toys, party blowers etc on the floor during the show as they can cause accidents and distractions.

 The children should be seated on the floor with chairs at the back for parents to sit on. You may like to provide another area for parents to chat in so that the children can hear the show.
senoj derfla
View Profile
New user
Australia
31 Posts

Profile of senoj derfla
Well done Nick, being a "nice guy" doesn't always fit the situation. These days it has to be spelt out to the general public who are mostly only thinking about themselves. If it's okay with you I would like to use your list of condition for future bookings. The rule about outdoor gigs is particularly appropriate to where I live here in Australia. I usually tell the Mum that it is important that the children are comfortable and in the shade to enjoy the show, I quickly add that it has to be comfortable for me too. Sometimes you have to be insistant, like the birthday party I did at an inner city residence, there was no shade and the lady plonked the kids down in full sun without hats on the patio. I couldn't be a nice guy and proceed with the show, I pointed out the dangers of sunshine and after a few tense moments we went inside. I suspect the reason we didn't go inside was that her house was so immaculate that it irked to have children and an entertainer "making a mess" in her palace.
Maro Anglero
View Profile
Loyal user
FLORIDA
248 Posts

Profile of Maro Anglero
Never had a problem with parents not being at the show, but always after the show they want to run to go eat and leave me with the kids. I always told the parent at the time of the booking of a show that they must always be in the room especially when I end the show. They always say “Oh sure I understand” but at the end of the show I have 50 kids around me, So many times I say to the kids “If you guys want to see the Doves and hold them then go wait in the kitchen, then I get the parents Back where I am putting my Magic props away.

Maro
For the Magician: The hard must become habit, The habit must become easy, The easy must become Beautiful

Doug Henning
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Senoj derfla - I am also an aussie. I live in Canberra and it gets pretty hot.

I currently focusing on prevention rather then cure. I want them to KNOW in advance what sort of space is needed.

In fact, today I showed up and the parents had marked in masking tape an area for my stage, an area for the kids, and an area for the parents!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » No adults present (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL