The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spectator Cuts The Aces (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
bugjack
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1619 Posts

Profile of bugjack
Hi Harry,

Wow -- thanks for posting. I have copies of your "Personal Secrets" and "My Favorite Card Tricks" that I purchased over two decades ago at Al's Magic Shop in DC. Really enjoyed those books. Hope you are well and thanks again for responding.
Roger Kelly
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent, England
3332 Posts

Profile of Roger Kelly
I'm amazed no-one has mentioned "Cut em High and Tie" from "21st Century" by James Swain. It's what Steve Beam would call semi-automatic. A slip cut and a couple of false shuffles - job done! I love it. Use it all the time, great reactions.
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Mine is 99%. I think others that have tried this version would probably agree that this is a very reliable version... and very fair. The fact that the spectator really has a free cut, and really does cut the ace, moves the effect from "puzzle" to "magic".

Or, if you want to go the route of the gimmicked pack, you can try deep guilt aces, I've heard nothing but good things about this version of the effect.
zing82
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
218 Posts

Profile of zing82
Michael Paul's Spectators Cut the Aces from his Simply Devastating notes earn my vote.

It is impromptu, can be use with a borrowed deck, the spectators do all the cutting (really!), a little sleight is expected but its not that difficult.

Do pick this up guys..its the most fair and easiest Cut to Aces single effect I ever seen. And nope, I'm not a correspondant for Michael Paul, just a very satisfied customer.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2948 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Michael's routine IS great!

My other favorites are Ackerman's from his Classic Sampler Notes and David Regal's thoughts on the subject.

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
dai_vernon
View Profile
Veteran user
321 Posts

Profile of dai_vernon
Take a look at Bill Goodwins spectator cuts the aces in his notes titled At The Expense of Grey Matter.

Eric
Nathan Kranzo
View Profile
V.I.P.
2948 Posts

Profile of Nathan Kranzo
Have fun tracking those notes down! ; )

All the best,

Kranzo
check out MINDZILLA VOL. 2!!! Brand New Effects. Instant Downloads. Watch Demo Videos. Click below!!!

KranzoMagic.com
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
On 2006-03-13 06:07, ross welford wrote:
In "Strong Magic" Darwin Ortiz mentions a version of this trick which in his view is superior because the spectator turns over the aces himself. Any clues what this is?

I showed Darwin my combination at Fechter's years ago, at which time Darwin called it "the best he had ever seen." It was not yet in print.

The plot of "Spectator Cuts to and Turns Over the Aces" is Bob Veeser's.

The handling was from "Formula One Close-up" (1985), accoladed by both Ed Marlo and Harry Lorayne. The Malone routine used the same moves with just two interchanged; Bill watched me use it for years. Patter, of course, is by Bill.

"Spectator On Stage" is the improved handling, so named by Harry Lorayne and appearing as the cover item of APOCALYPSE.

The Bannon routine was based on mine, as stated by John in his book.

The "demonstration cut" is Harry Riser's, appearing in print for the first time in F1 Close-Up with Harry Riser's prior permission.
edh
View Profile
Inner circle
4698 Posts

Profile of edh
Randy, how does the Bannon effect differ from yours? I own DMF it is a great book and I really like his spectator cuts the aces effect. Could you enlighten me as to the differences between his SCTA's and yours?

thanks
edh
Magic is a vanishing art.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
"Spectator on Stage" is in Apocalypse, R.W. Presents, my lecture notes, etc., etc.-- easy enough to look up.
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Randy, I think you put the Riser Subtlety to great use in your Spectator Cuts to and Turns Over the Aces. What did Mr Riser use the strategy for himself? Did he also use it in an Ace cutting trick or for something completely different?

I think the patter Bill uses about "cutting ten" is by David Solomon.

/Tomas
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2006-06-20 22:05, Michael Paul wrote:
Mine is 99%. I think others that have tried this version would probably agree that this is a very reliable version... and very fair. The fact that the spectator really has a free cut, and really does cut the ace, moves the effect from "puzzle" to "magic".

Or, if you want to go the route of the gimmicked pack, you can try deep guilt aces, I've heard nothing but good things about this version of the effect.

I like Micheal's routine as it is done totally in the spectator's hands. All the
way through the whole routine. It very flexible at the end as you can apply
different endings. If you miss and don't get the 99%, with the way the routine is
structured, you can still work around it in the spectator's hands.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
Simon Lovell
View Profile
V.I.P.
506 Posts

Profile of Simon Lovell
Guys,

I think that Randy's Spectator on Stage is one of the best routines of this ilk. With a slightly altered ending I use this routine in my off-Broadway show as "Red's Back in Town."

This is just one of Randy's extraordinary contributions to magic. The proof of how good it is? It's been "borrowed" by so very many!

Simon
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Joshua Jay featured Breakless Aces in MAGIC magazine awhile back. I thought it was a pretty clean version of this topic.

ps) In this version, the spectator cleanly cuts, but the magician does the dirty work. However, the revelation of the Aces looks like you're simply flipping the top cards over (there's no "pick up the top cards and deal them back down" technique here).

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Quote:
What did Mr Riser use the strategy for himself? Did he also use it in an Ace cutting trick or for something completely different? /Tomas

Harry used it as a force; for ace-cutting, prediction, matching effects, etc.

One thing that Harry Riser strongly objects to is spreading the cards for a selection, period. He feels it is a peculiar, ridiculous way to have a card selected. The "demo" he does about that is hilarious.

Cutting the deck, however, is far more plausible and sensible in Harry's view. He will have the spectator cut, take a peek . . . but it is highly unlikely that you'll see him chasing down someone smearing cards at them.
zing82
View Profile
Loyal user
Singapore
218 Posts

Profile of zing82
Michael Paul's and John Bannon's are the ones that I always used.
For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice.
solrak29
View Profile
Special user
NY Metro
936 Posts

Profile of solrak29
Quote:
On 2006-11-12 13:41, Simon Lovell wrote:
Guys,

I think that Randy's Spectator on Stage is one of the best routines of this ilk. With a slightly altered ending I use this routine in my off-Broadway show as "Red's Back in Town."

This is just one of Randy's extraordinary contributions to magic. The proof of how good it is? It's been "borrowed" by so very many!

Simon

Hi Simon, it was nice to see ya again at the Rocco lecture. Can you point
to where I can find Randy's Spectator on Stage?

Quote:
Joshua Jay featured Breakless Aces in MAGIC magazine awhile back. I thought it was a pretty clean version of this topic.

ps) In this version, the spectator cleanly cuts, but the magician does the dirty work. However, the revelation of the Aces looks like you're simply flipping the top cards over (there's no "pick up the top cards and deal them back down" technique here).

Rick

Hi Rick

Which issue of Magic did you find this in?

Thanks ahead of time, as this thread sparked an interest in exploring this
a little further.
To Find Me On The Pitch, Follow me :On Twitter
Checkout my pseudo blog : The Sidewalk Performers Forum

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1144 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Quote:
On 2006-11-12 17:26, RandyWakeman wrote:
Harry used it as a force; for ace-cutting...

I assume that this "ace-cutting" means "Spectator Cuts to the Aces" which would make it the first of its kind using Mr Riser's subtlety. Did he eventually publish his handling for it? I'm curious about how it differs from yours and others.

Thanks in advance,

/Tomas

PS I tried to PM this question but could not find any PM button on your post
RandyWakeman
View Profile
V.I.P.
Plainfield, ILLINOIS
1617 Posts

Profile of RandyWakeman
Yes, the Riser subtlety first appeared in "Formula One Close-Up" (1985). Harry's not published it in any application, at least to my knowledge.

As for "Spectator on Stage" is appears in the hardbound "Randy Wakeman Presents" (available) and is on the new two DVD set "Lake Tahoe Bar Magic" as well. http://randywakemanmagic.com/laketahoe.htm
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13419 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Hi randy,
where have you been for the past 4 years.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spectator Cuts The Aces (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL