The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spectator Cuts The Aces (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2007-04-12 17:39, Vandy Grift wrote:
LOL! I was wondering if you were ever going to revisit this thread. No harm, no foul.

I was working my way to it! LOL
Cognite tute
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1134 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Vandy,

In answer to your question 'How do you get the spectator to cut at the fight spots?' there are at least two methods. In one, the top card of each packet is forced. This is the approach taken by Bill Malone and John Bannon. Poker Players Picnic from RRTCM achieves something similar but with a different presentation. The only ace cutting routine I know where the spectator genuinely cuts to three of the aces is in Andrew Wimhursts 'The Spectator Estimates the Aces'. The price of this wonderful effect is the element of risk involved.

Regards,

Paul H
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Hey Paul, Thanks.

I was replying specifically to the post I quoted. And I was replying (as I'm wont to do) in a smart ass fashion. The fact of the matter is that you can't let the spectator cut to the aces in Sal Piacentes Ace Cutting Routine. I was trying to point that out by asking that question.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
merlin5150
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of merlin5150
Hocus-Pocus is selling an effect called "Breather" by Roger Lovins'
Paul H
View Profile
Inner circle
UK South Coast
1134 Posts

Profile of Paul H
Hi Vandy,

Duh! and duh! again. Its all becoming clear. I think I'm suffering from too many Easter egg's.

Best

Paul H
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Hey Paul,

At least you answered a question that was actually asked. I answered one that didn't exist!

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Sorry guys. I just can't help busting chops. It's a sickness. I'm working on it! LOL
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Aaron Lucas
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Aaron Lucas
My vote goes to Directed Verdict by John Bannon. I love the Kurtz overhand shuffle set up! Has anyone ever tried this plot with a four way force deck? Might work!

Aaron
Just a magic lovin dude
Jeff_Mash
View Profile
Veteran user
Bay Area, California
328 Posts

Profile of Jeff_Mash
Quote:
On 2007-04-13 11:45, merlin5150 wrote:
Hocus-Pocus is selling an effect called "Breather" by Roger Lovins'

Breather is a pretty visual effect from Rodger Lovins......but the spectator doesn't turn over the aces; the magician does. However, the spectator does have a free choice in cutting the deck, but it's the magician who ends up with all the aces. You can see a demo of it right here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtR4XAuuITk
Your friend in magic,

Jeff Mash, CEO
MJM Magic - "Magic for Magicians, Jokesters, and Mentalists!"
http://www.MJMMagic.com
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Hey Jeff,

Nice.

I think that Larry Jenning's has a similiar idea in his "Always Cut the Cards" effect. Additionally, Mick Ayres has a couple of very similar effects (Cut Poker from his book Carpe Chartaes and Cut Poker II from his Bamboozlings eBook).

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1735 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Bloody hell! I ask a simple question and look at what happens: I get all my reading, practice, and book buying sorted out for at least the next five years!

Thanks, fellas, but now that Paul has reminded me of Poker Players' Picnic I'm beginning to think it's not such a bad trick after all...

:)
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1735 Posts

Profile of Ross W
Oh wow!! THAT'S the one I want to learn! That is quite simply brilliant and exactly the stuff the people I perform for go for. Is it difficult? I couldn't see much going on there at all!
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Oh, thanks for the nice compliment. It's my SCA from my DVD "Impact". (it's also in my Simply Devastating lecture notes). I'm really glad you like it.

... and it's not tough at all.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
I have both sets of Michael's notes, and this routine is exactly what it looks like- a commercial, fairly simple, DIRECT method to have the spectators cut to an ace.

They cut, and they can even turn over the cards!

The reason there was nothing to see? There was nothing to see!

If you liked the video, you should definitely purchase the notes

Michael, when's your next DVD coming out?

Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Michael,

How long ago did you come up with this effect? I ask because I took magic lessons in the 90's and, as far as I can tell, I learned this exact effect and have always wondered who came up with it.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4638 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
The effect is basically Marlo's, but Michael has some subtleties and handling changes that make allow it to "hit" virtually every time (which the Marlo one doesn't).

The Marlo one is the same sequence four times, but each time the odds of the spectator missing increases.

Michael's handling for the third one, specifically, is gold.
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Yeah, not familiar with the Marlo version (that is, don't remember reading it). Most likely I skipped over it because I didn't like how it read (to be honest).

The version I learned is very similar, even up to the third step, where it diverges. I really like the way Michael sets up the 3rd and 4th reveal. The version I learned is 100% amenable to the third one and I like the use of the CD f***e in the fourth stage.

Really excellent thinking, thanks for sharing.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Michael Paul
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Michael Paul
Thanks guys. It's Marlo's easy estimation aces, with some touches. I've changed up the handling to make it a sca effect, with 100% hits on the third and forth phase. The DVD also has a way of getting into the effect from Aronson stack.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1839 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
There seems to be few versions that are still rather underground and more convincing than anything mentioned so far in this threat. I saw one version few weeks back at nordic magic convention. 3 spectators just cut the deck and turned over the top cards of their packets with magician as well and all were aces. No shuffling, side steals or passes to reposit aces. Just cut, cut, cut and all turn over their top cards. In rights hands 100% but not for amateurs I would say. Still you cant get any cleaner than that. Its not published or at least I think so but the main method is quite recently published at least on one DVD. I don't dare to say more than ingenious. Made a big smirk on my face when I saw it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Spectator Cuts The Aces (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL