The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Presentation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
I have been in card magic for quite some time and have already constructed a few routines
I'm planning to learn more about magic theory and presentation first before I continue learning other tricks.
What do you people think about this approach?
tla
View Profile
New user
Texas
65 Posts

Profile of tla
There is a snare in the art of magic to pursue the knowledge of MANY effects, and yet, not be able to present 1 in a magical way.
Your decision to endeavor to enrich your understanding of theory and presentation is a sound one.
After delving into the "real work" of magic, you will be able to apply your knowledge to a few effects and make true magic happen.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Talon is right on. Theory, Philosophy, Psychology, Presentation and the Art of Magic are key ingredients towards reaching that next level. With that attitude Limhanchung, you are on the right track.
Smile
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Presentation is unquestionably the real key to magic.
Consider the definition of a so-called underground magician: "A guy who knows 435 ways to palm a card and not one way to entertain an audience"!
Limhanchun, you are definitely taking the right road.
Smile
David Fletcher
View Profile
Loyal user
238 Posts

Profile of David Fletcher
Do your favorite trick for as many people as you can - preferably friends and family and any friends you have in magic. Put your ego away. No "better than thou" or "I can do it and you can't" attitudes.
In time, keeping an open mind, you will learn how to entertain with this one trick. Then add another. And another.
Don't listen to people with negative attitudes.
Theory and philosophy are of utmost importance in magic, but not to the extent that you become mired in it. Everyone has an opinion. Yours is the most important
You have to give it away to keep it.
Tommy1324
View Profile
Regular user
Pennsylvania
104 Posts

Profile of Tommy1324
David is right everyone does have an opinion. But when perfroming for our peers it might be more constructive criticism more than an opinion. So we need to keep an open mind when performing for fellow magi.
It may help to have more constructive criticism than negative opinions. I know it has helped me in my magic.
Tommy1324
Joedy
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of Joedy
Keep it fun. Eliminate the 'hey, you duped me' approaches.

Practice your acting and patter as much as you do your routines.

STOP! Re-read the above line again.

Always make your presentations fun for everyone.
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
I think you are definitely headed on the right path, limhanchung.

Just recently I've been starting to focus more and more on presentation. I have noticed a stronger reaction from my audiences since I began giving a lot of thought to presentation.

Many of the above posts mention avoiding the "challenge" attitude. I think this is certainly the way to go. You want to get the audience on your side; you want to get them to like you. This helps greatly in eliminating "hecklers" and skeptics, and allowing everyone to have a good time.

Good luck!

Emily B.
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I hope you don't mind if I relate a very recent experience, as I think it applies here.

I am new to magic and just joined the local magic club. Potential members are required to perform an effect or two. I brought my favorite Cups and balls routine. I had been practicing it for a few months and was rather pleased with how I could perform it.

During the performance, I was of course nervous, nevertheless, I did a reasonable job. Afterward, one of the magicians in the audience took the time to give me a little advice. He gave me some very specific times to pause and make a magical event, and some places where I would be better served by slowing down. He was kind enough to compliment my handling as well.

I have since found ways to apply that simple advice to every routine that I practice. I think I too will pursue some presentation study.
Magic is fun!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Presentation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL