The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sword suspension (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
I am looking at one it just needs to be chromed how much would it cost and where you would get it done. also is this trick very hard to do. I know how it done that not what I want to know I just woundering how hard it is.
thanks
mike
the conjurer
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of the conjurer
Hi Mike--

Try the yellow pages. There should be a couple of "plating services" in your area. They chrome plate all sorts of things, usually bumpers from older cars. Yes, I am showing my age. I did grow up in the age of chrome bumpers and bench seats.

If you can't find a listing in the yellow pages, contact eother and auto repair shop or a slavage yard. They will have a number for sure.

On the performance front--

I have performed the sword suspension off and on for about thirty years. Mostly using the Chu's version with a modified gimmick.

The best assistants to use are usually shorter (5'2" - 5'4") and I have found dancers to be the best candidates. The have good body tone and can keep their legs rigid during "the float". To practice, they can sit on the edge of a chair, extend their legs and hold them there. Once you begin a run-through of the routine and how long it takes to remove the swords, have her float and then replace the swords, you will know how long she has to be "in the position".

Good luck!
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1950 Posts

Profile of kregg
You are using steel? Try a auto bumper plater, their rates are usually better.
POOF!
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Ok great thanks for your help yes it is Chu's version that I am looking at.
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
I have the Chu's version. I cut a bit from the tip of the gimmick sword so I can insert the harness faster. You must use an assistant who can lift her legs for a minute or two without trembling. You must also be strong enough to lift her and insert the harness into the sword.

Costuming is also an important factor to the success of this illusion. Does your assistant have long hair to hide the gimmick? Or you can make a large collar or have a long scarf around her neck.

The easiest way is to convert it to a chair suspension-like board and presentation covering the volunteer with a cloth and hiding the board. In this way, you can use any volunteer aside from your assistant. Also, this will seem more spectacular than the chair suspension, being the swords as an element of danger than just chairs. I would also add two more "fake" supports for the board.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Sword suspension (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL