The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Mentalist Beginning Hypnosis (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Well you can't read, clearly. Jon said that someone buying a trick and performing it and making it work without the instructions can be beneficial just like hypnosis done through practical development can have benefits above theoretical knowledge. Maybe be lacking some of the inbuilt restrictions theory often has.

And... 'attention seeking'... Pot/Kettle?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
>>>>And... 'attention seeking'... Pot/Kettle?<<<<

that's why I know...

Anybody who makes a comparison with a trick found in a car boot sale with no instructions and hypnosis is talking jibberish. If you read all the posts before his in this thread you will get some good sensible info. Jon just says the opposite to get attention. I might say outlandish things but Im usually right. Just as I am right again about this.

Its jibberish and its bad info in my opinion.
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4102 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 13:31, mindpunisher wrote:
>>>>And... 'attention seeking'... Pot/Kettle?<<<<

that's why I know...

Anybody who makes a comparison with a trick found in a car boot sale with no instructions and hypnosis is talking jibberish. If you read all the posts before his in this thread you will get some good sensible info. Jon just says the opposite to get attention. I might say outlandish things but Im usually right. Just as I am right again about this.

Its jibberish and its bad info in my opinion.

It's spelled "gibberish," just FYI.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Don't let facts get in the way of MP's opinions lol
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4102 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
I don't know, I somewhat agree with some of what MP has pointed out. Hypnosis is pretty dangerous if done without any consideration whatsoever. The main concern is the physical well being of your subject. From the sound of the OP's post, he appears to be under the impression that one should just go away using rapid inductions or what I like to refer to as "shock" inductions (we all know the type, walk up to a person, shake their hand and before you complete the shake, you command them to sleep). From using such an approach to inductions without any prior knowledge of how it works and what is at stake, you can very easily encounter a person who may very easily just slump to the ground and if one is careless and has never considered the safety of the surroundings, the person slumping could slump right on to some broken glass bottles. That's just a very simple and general possibility. We of course understand that there are also other factors such as ab reactions as well as understanding at what point a suggestion is just simply too much and could cause the subject to go into a panic attack or what not (making things float because you made yourself invisible may play well with most subjects but imagine if you had some bad luck at that performance and your subject was the maniacal type, unexperienced and unprepared performers may very well go into a panic themselves simply due to the fact that they are unprepared to deal with a completely frightened, distressed, and manic subject). The fine details in regards to safety is something that needs to be studied and understood.

Another reason one needs to understand the theory of hypnosis and hypnosis on a conceptual level is that there is NO way anybody can really tap into another person's mind and know exactly how that person's mind works. There's also no real way to judge what kind of subject you are dealing with when you put him/her under. The only thing one can do is understand as many different permutations of different scenarios as one can so that he/she will be ready for anything. Understanding the theory of hypnosis and understanding hypnosis at a conceptual level helps with actually being able to successfully hypnotize another person. You may very well be able to put a lot of people under by just commanding them to sleep with a tug of their arm but what do you do with the subject after that? If you tell them to quack like a duck because they are a duck and the suggestion doesn't stick, what do you do after that? Do you just give up or do you continue changing tacts a little? While I do not feel that taking an entire history course on hypnosis is necessary, I do feel strongly that one needs to have a good grasp of the fundamentals that goes beyond just the techniques and the patter.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why bring up a 4 year old thread, and what is a "car boot sale"?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
kissdadookie
View Profile
Inner circle
4102 Posts

Profile of kissdadookie
::shrugs::
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2010-09-24 16:55, Dannydoyle wrote:
Why bring up a 4 year old thread, and what is a "car boot sale"?

A car boot sale is a field full of automobiles selling old household items you no longer want. Bit of rubbish broken toys, old clothes, magicians tricks with no instructions etc

Stuff that most people would throw away into the garbage but instead they heap it up and sell it for peanuts.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
For what it's worth, I do not believe it will benefit anyone's performance to sign up for a year long course in hypnotherapy. If hypnosis exists it has nothing to do with what goes on on a stage. You can have a short-cut by studying what experienced stage hypnotists have written, and ignoring the history and theory.
You will probably get on fine, just as long as you steer clear of the instant induction junkies, such as the abominable Zapped.

There are three hypnotists in my city. Two of us do good solid shows. The third (and least busy) is the guy with all the letters after his name.

Hypnotherapy and stage hypnosis are two completely different things, and studying one will not help the other, any more than studying cordon bleu cookery will improve your double lift.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
Once again people are fixated on academic knowledge. Doesn't practical life experience/knowledge count for anything?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Life experience knowledge is great The full "stage" hypnosis process. What is being proposed is to jump in without that. Its a media crash waiting to happen.

Hypnosis isn't like a magic trick. Plus if you get it wrong there are consequences.And there so many things that can go wrong.

No one is talking about letters after their name.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
The original post was 4 years ago, so the OP has probably learnt quite a bit by now!

Learning by experience alone is a slow process, you end up sticking to what you feel comfortable with and are less likely to learn as much, there is no harm in trying to push yourself, if you only have one teacher you will only have one way, that's why rigid beliefs and routines get passed down.

stage hypnosis is hardly any different now as is was decades ago. its just gone more adult themed as we are harder to shock.
Derren brown kicked it up the arse about 8 years ago but its difficult for stage hypnotists to create the same effects due to the market and expectancy they cater for, Brown doesn't go for laughs but he has questioned our notion of what most modern stage hypnotists have led us to believe hypnosis is.

I watched a program a few weeks ago that showed footage of a killer whale killing a great white shark, the killer whale had learnt how to hypnotise the shark.
The whale rammed the shark from the side which had the effect of flipping the shark onto its back and then held in that position in its jaws for a few minutes. The shark entered into a 'hypnotised state' a lot like the hypnotised chicken effect. after about 5 mins of being held in this position the sharks system shut down and the whale ate it. all the other sharks left the area.

It was in effect an instant induction, I wonder which books the the whale read to find that out?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Im sure its on some street hypnosis cd. But I thought the point was to stop somebody being killed or injured.
catweazle
View Profile
Special user
924 Posts

Profile of catweazle
Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20539 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Many argue the life experience side when they lack the academic side to back it up. Does it count? ABSOLUTELY it does. But not till you have decades life experience doing stage work. Then it counts for a lot.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Mmmmm. Interesting responses.

I'll try not to laugh too hard.

Hypnosis and magic tricks, and lets face it some of the best tricks in the world are cheap, are exactly the same thing. A created reality that is entirely subjective.

Anyone can do a magic trick with little or no practice, just as anyone can do hypnosis with little or no practice. Sorry but I don't do the protectionism a lot of people do. Well not here anyway this is after all insider stuff.

Comparing hypnosis to a piza? No, that was a metaphor not an analogy however the truth is that there is no need to know the name of the first stage hypnotist to make you a better one. There is no need to understand NLP or psychology either, just as a comic doesn't need to know about the effects of dopamine to make his jokes funny.

I am here attention seeking for my products. To do so I put across my point in a rhetorical way because it's fun and interesting and these hallowed pages are after all about entertainment are they not?

Hypnosis is very easy, very simple, only works with a few people - certainly in the terms of a stage show or presentation and anything else is outside the remit of this forum isn't it?
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
Siddharta
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Siddharta
I am also interested in incorporation hypnosis in magic/mentalist acts. You definitely need the confidence of a hypnotist to do this and you must know what you are doing and saying. I read RIP from Anthony Jacquin which contains very interesting info on impromptu hypnosis but for me it is not enough so I enrolled in a 30-day hypnotherapist course (spread over 6 months). This gives me the opportunity to practice several kinds of inductions as well as suggestions and also a thorough knowledge of everything concerning hypnosis. I don't know if this is necessary if you want to use hypnosis in magic and mentalism, but it does make you a lot better, safer en boosts your confidence. Doing real inductions and having 2 expert hypnotists evaluating you and helping you to improve your hypnotic language does go a long way.
So by the time I start putting hypnosis in my acts, I will know a big deal about it, I will have practiced it and I will have a lot more confidence.
Anthony Jacquin
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2220 Posts

Profile of Anthony Jacquin
Great to hear you have found a trainer you can work with. I look forward to hearing how things develop for you.

As I have said many times, master the various set piece exercises to the point you can do them anytime anywhere, without mentioning hypnosis and entertain with them. Just incorporate them into yor magic words and actions, as a selection or to demonstrate something about the mind etc.

Once you can do this and leave having done your job it makes leaps beyond these exercises into what you may perceive as more difficult phenomena much easier.

Anthony
Anthony Jacquin

Reality is Plastic! The Art of Impromptu Hypnosis
Updated for 2016

Now on Kindle and Audible!
Zoto
View Profile
New user
32 Posts

Profile of Zoto
Quote:
On 2006-04-02 06:30, Lee Darrow wrote:

Do you know what an abreaction is? Do you know what can trigger one? Do you know how many ways one can be triggered and how to abate one before it fully sets in?

Can you identify the ten most common causes OF abreaction?

Lee Darrow, C.H.

I don't think you are really a hypnotist till you have delt with an abreaction!

Jerry

P.S. Hey Lee!
JonChase
View Profile
Loyal user
Exeter, UK
212 Posts

Profile of JonChase
Quote:
On 2010-10-12 18:38, Zoto wrote:

I don't think you are really a hypnotist till you have delt with an abreaction!

Jerry

P.S. Hey Lee!

I don't think you're a hypnotist till you've learnt how to avoid ever having to deal with one. ;-)
Smiles

Jon Chase

http://jonathanchase.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Mentalist Beginning Hypnosis (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL